tender surrender

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Tommy

Fair enough, man. I believe you.
Angelicosis

oh guys I'm sorry that my question started this argument and maybe we should let it go, I love Steve with all my heart, but he's a human, isn't he, and being so he can be mislead, nevertheless we won't stop loving him because of that...?

All the best,
Angelika
ernzzz

"when Steve listened to the track it did sound like a loose jam version of "Tender Surrender" (which is what "Villanova Junction" sounds like) so he, quite reasonably, assumed Prince had played his tune..."

that makes sense...

another possibility is that the interview is fake, or this part edited.. cause i cannot imagine how anybody will confuse one of his own songs that easily...

and another thing is the similarity that steve personally needs on a song, to consider it a cover of one of his songs..

while i agree with you, that vilanova junction sound a bit like a loose jam with some tender surrender feel, the difference its quite clear...

maybe steve wasnt remembering vilanova junction right then, and that is why we see it so clear.. but as steve is more experienced musician than me, i guess he would not be that easily tricked.. as i consider i would not be tricked like this with one of my own songs.... at least to the point to "almost dying".... (also considering how marked the melody and style on this song is...)

another option is that steve was almost dying, because it was Prince... and not because how close the song was... (having it wrongly labelled tender surrender)

just the man knows for sure..
TheSquareRootOfElvis

Angelicosis wrote:oh guys I'm sorry that my question started this argument and maybe we should let it go, I love Steve with all my heart, but he's a human, isn't he, and being so he can be mislead, nevertheless we won't stop loving him because of that...?

All the best,
Angelika
Nothing to be sorry about Angelika, it wasn't your fault it got a bit unpleasant.

In all honesty it wasn't that important to me that the world, or even Steve, know that Prince probably didn't play "Tender Surrender". You see, I've been a Prince fan for about 25 years and have just just about everything the little guy has ever recorded (officially and unofficially) and I've seen/heard/read every interview he's ever done. So I know something about Prince, and playing "Tender Surrender" didn't ever seem to me like something he would do (though I have no doubt he has a tremendous amount of respect for Steve as a musician). Prince has quite a healthy ego and, apart from Santana and Hendrix who were heros as he was growing up, he's not the kind of guy that likes to be seen to be following in anyone else's footsteps. Also, he only tends to cover tunes when he feels he can do them better and I don't think he'd feel he could play "Tender Surrender" better than Steve, nor would he like to have his guitar playing technique compared directly with that of Steve Vai ( lets face it, who would?). So, anyway, when Keith ( ah, Keith ), who seems to know almost nothing about Prince, told me I didn't know what I was talking about and threw in a few insults as well, it motivated me to go that extra mile to prove him wrong.

In the end, it was all a bit childish, and I kind of regret getting worked up about it...very silly. But I assure you no one thinks any less of Steve for making the occasional mistake ( I certainly don't). In fact Steve strikes me as the kind of humble guy who is more than happy to admit to his mistakes, thats one of the things I love about the guy (20 year Vai fan here btw). :wink:
TheSquareRootOfElvis

ernzzz wrote:"when Steve listened to the track it did sound like a loose jam version of "Tender Surrender" (which is what "Villanova Junction" sounds like) so he, quite reasonably, assumed Prince had played his tune..."

that makes sense...

another possibility is that the interview is fake, or this part edited.. cause i cannot imagine how anybody will confuse one of his own songs that easily...

and another thing is the similarity that steve personally needs on a song, to consider it a cover of one of his songs..

while i agree with you, that vilanova junction sound a bit like a loose jam with some tender surrender feel, the difference its quite clear...

maybe steve wasnt remembering vilanova junction right then, and that is why we see it so clear.. but as steve is more experienced musician than me, i guess he would not be that easily tricked.. as i consider i would not be tricked like this with one of my own songs.... at least to the point to "almost dying".... (also considering how marked the melody and style on this song is...)

another option is that steve was almost dying, because it was Prince... and not because how close the song was... (having it wrongly labelled tender surrender)

just the man knows for sure..
Fair comments.
Angelicosis

TheSquareRootOfElvis wrote:
Angelicosis wrote:oh guys I'm sorry that my question started this argument and maybe we should let it go, I love Steve with all my heart, but he's a human, isn't he, and being so he can be mislead, nevertheless we won't stop loving him because of that...?

All the best,
Angelika
Nothing to be sorry about Angelika, it wasn't your fault it got a bit unpleasant.

In all honesty it wasn't that important to me that the world, or even Steve, know that Prince probably didn't play "Tender Surrender". You see, I've been a Prince fan for about 25 years and have just just about everything the little guy has ever recorded (officially and unofficially) and I've seen/heard/read every interview he's ever done. So I know something about Prince, and playing "Tender Surrender" didn't ever seem to me like something he would do (though I have no doubt he has a tremendous amount of respect for Steve as a musician). Prince has quite a healthy ego and, apart from Santana and Hendrix who were heros as he was growing up, he's not the kind of guy that likes to be seen to be following in anyone else's footsteps. Also, he only tends to cover tunes when he feels he can do them better and I don't think he'd feel he could play "Tender Surrender" better than Steve, nor would he like to have his guitar playing technique compared directly with that of Steve Vai ( lets face it, who would?). So, anyway, when Keith ( ah, Keith ), who seems to know almost nothing about Prince, told me I didn't know what I was talking about and threw in a few insults as well, it motivated me to go that extra mile to prove him wrong.

In the end, it was all a bit childish, and I kind of regret getting worked up about it...very silly. But I assure you no one thinks any less of Steve for making the occasional mistake ( I certainly don't). In fact Steve strikes me as the kind of humble guy who is more than happy to admit to his mistakes, thats one of the things I love about the guy (20 year Vai fan here btw). :wink:
thanks, that's fair enough for me :)

all the best,
Angelika
huzi0904
Newcomer

i just want to show it to my girlfriend.
TheSquareRootOfElvis

huzi0904 wrote:i just want to show it to my girlfriend.
Well, I suppose she has to see it eventually. If she laughs just tell her you've been swimming....always works for me.
Steve Himself
VIP
VIP

OK, I see what happened here.

You're right, I guess I was wrong. It seemed pretty fantastic anyway.

The structure of Tender Surrender is not unique. There are songs I have heard in the past that are relatively similar. "Europa Earths Cry" from Santana, The Stu Hamm song, "Call It Sleep" and yes, "Villanova Junction" by Hendrix.

When I wrote Tender Surrender the song just flowed from me. It was not consciously based on anything I had heard before but the basic structure was probably inspired by my past influences. It happens. I'm not unique.

When I had finished "Alien Love Secrets" I sent a copy to Prince. I never heard anything but it was relayed to me from someone who worked at Paisley Park that he had heard some of my music, (whatever that means).

I will occasionally hear people use the foundation of one of my songs to jam. After receiving the Prince bootleg and reading the song title, I thought it coincidental that he named a song similar to one of my titles but when the song started and the basic form of the 1st verse was very much like Tender Surrender, I looked at the credit again and it said "Tender Surrender written by Steve Vai."

That led me to assume that he had heard ALS and perhaps thought that the 1st verse of Tender Surrender was a good little Jam piece. I understand now that he was actually covering the Hendrix song. Oh Well!!!

Thanks for pointing this out though. I’m kind of relieved because it never really made sense to me. You are right, knowing Prince it would seem quite extraordinary for him to cover a song from an artist such as myself. I’m glad I didn’t get to bring it up with him when we spoke, Yikes.

I'm not an authority on Prince music, nor Hendrix music and as you can see, I'm hardly an authority on my own music.

None of it really belongs to us anyway.

s
ernzzz

Thank you for putting some light here!..

"Thanks for pointing this out though. I’m kind of relieved because it never really made sense to me. You are right, knowing Prince it would seem quite extraordinary for him to cover a song from an artist such as myself. I’m glad I didn’t get to bring it up with him when we spoke, Yikes. "

Its amusing that you actually confirmed this through this post too!

heheh yes, maybe not the thing to bring up.. (i guess!)

I been freaked about this for a time, since i could not believe Prince was actually playing it.. And tryed to find it without succes.. At least i could not believe he was playing the fastest legato part, on the climax.. Thats from another planet!..

Anyway.. thank you for creating incredible pieces of music like this one.. its sublime.. very inspiring!

Best of strenghts!
axeman31390

I didn't know what to think, not hearing that bootleg, but thank you for confirming that for us steve, now I may REST!
slash89

Steve Vai has spoken. Everybody bow :)
Thank you for writing dude!
Ant711UK

That was funny listening to those two getting worked up like that.

If only Steve had waited a while before settling the argument, TheSquareRootOfElvis was only just getting started and Keith was just about to blow :lol:
calos

Steve Himself wrote:OK, I see what happened here.

You're right, I guess I was wrong. It seemed pretty fantastic anyway.

The structure of Tender Surrender is not unique. There are songs I have heard in the past that are relatively similar. "Europa Earths Cry" from Santana, The Stu Hamm song, "Call It Sleep" and yes, "Villanova Junction" by Hendrix.

When I wrote Tender Surrender the song just flowed from me. It was not consciously based on anything I had heard before but the basic structure was probably inspired by my past influences. It happens. I'm not unique.

When I had finished "Alien Love Secrets" I sent a copy to Prince. I never heard anything but it was relayed to me from someone who worked at Paisley Park that he had heard some of my music, (whatever that means).

I will occasionally hear people use the foundation of one of my songs to jam. After receiving the Prince bootleg and reading the song title, I thought it coincidental that he named a song similar to one of my titles but when the song started and the basic form of the 1st verse was very much like Tender Surrender, I looked at the credit again and it said "Tender Surrender written by Steve Vai."

That led me to assume that he had heard ALS and perhaps thought that the 1st verse of Tender Surrender was a good little Jam piece. I understand now that he was actually covering the Hendrix song. Oh Well!!!

Thanks for pointing this out though. I’m kind of relieved because it never really made sense to me. You are right, knowing Prince it would seem quite extraordinary for him to cover a song from an artist such as myself. I’m glad I didn’t get to bring it up with him when we spoke, Yikes.

I'm not an authority on Prince music, nor Hendrix music and as you can see, I'm hardly an authority on my own music.

None of it really belongs to us anyway.

s
When I first heard tender surrender I loved it, and because it wasn't what some of friends call "widdley widdley" I played it to them and they all said the same, yeah that's nice, now the guy is really playing, because I think they come from a hendrix type of "that's how you play" mind set, and at the same time I'm trying to explain that this is all Steve has ever done, but I used to listen to zappa and be agast at the composition, while they where just laughing at some of the lyrics, hey I was laughing at some of the lyrics too, hell if you don't know zappas music then go buy sheik your booty and gain from it, you'll laugh a lot and also hopefully pick up on some the stunning music behind it all too, (not direceted at Steve oviousley) anyhow yes it does sound a little like henrix, but at the same time it's instantley identifible as something Steve has done.

perhaps just concider it Steves comment on one facet of henrix, I know I always have, in a kinda wierd way I think of it as "if henrix had got off the rock and roll lifestyle and was still with us in body, then he'd really like this track"

Well it's late, where's my cheese..

heh

peace
cal
Samuele

Many thanks for writing Steve (you've been reading a lot these last few days, right?)
I don't know if anybody cares about that, but I sincerely prefer Tender Surrender to any of the other songs Steve mentioned in his post (with the exception of Call it Sleep, which I like just as much). Sorry, but I can't help it. Actually, it's one of the first songs I learnt to play on the guitar - it really made me realize how much feel and dynamics you can put in your playing. And I'm still far from being able to play it as expressively as I want. :lol:
I always thought of that song as unique and it gives me goose bumps every time I give it a listen, especially when the solo comes up. I think some of you may know what I'm talking about, right?

Oh, and... Steve, in my opinion you ARE unique, ok? :)

And yes, you're probably right - none of it really belongs to us anyway.
Last edited by Samuele on Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.