tender surrender

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Angelicosis

I heard rumors that Tender Surrender is not Steve's song, do You know anything about it?

All the best,
Angelika
slash89

It is his song :!:
Angelicosis

slash89 wrote:It is his song :!:
thanks slash89, that's what I thought, I'm gonna tell the guy who said that what I think about him :twisted:
slash89

Angelicosis wrote:
slash89 wrote:It is his song :!:
thanks slash89, that's what I thought, I'm gonna tell the guy who said that what I think about him :twisted:
You do that! :)
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

It's opening chords are similar to Hendrix's "Villanova junction".

Mikey
vai.com
KeithH

and we all know that a cover of Tender Surrender is on a Prince bootleg (which Steve bought), because prince did a cover of it once.
Angelicosis

Mikey wrote:It's opening chords are similar to Hendrix's "Villanova junction".

Mikey
vai.com
thanks Mikey, maybe that's what that guy meant

all the best,
Angelika
Samuele

KeithH wrote:and we all know that a cover of Tender Surrender is on a Prince bootleg (which Steve bought), because prince did a cover of it once.
I remember reading that Steve got that bootleg without paying a cent for it. To me, it would sound like the oddest thing ever if I heard of Steve buying a bootleg. :)
KeithH

Yep, he did buy it, from a bootleg store in Japan.

I know this for certain because he told me himself (at the EVO in Manchester)
TheSquareRootOfElvis

KeithH wrote:and we all know that a cover of Tender Surrender is on a Prince bootleg (which Steve bought), because prince did a cover of it once.
Of course we all ALSO know that Prince was in fact covering Hendrix's "Villanova Junction" on that bootleg and some goofball who had never heard the Hendrix tune but had heard "Tender Surrender" gave the track the wrong name....don't we? Nonetheless, now and forever more it shall be claimed that Prince covered "Tender Surrender"...ah, glasshopper, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing....here endeth the lesson.
KeithH

Sorry mate, but the cover on the bootleg is to the NOTE Tender Surrender !!

And Steve told us himself, he said he bought a bootleg in Japan of a Prince convcert (he is a big Prince fan) and lo and behold the last track was "Tender Surrender", so listening to it late at night on the walkman in his hotel room, steve got to the last track, and it was Steves song being covered ! I don't think Steve would mistake his OWN song for a Hendrix, cover, do you ? Steve told us that himself during the EVO in Manchester, England in October 2005.

So forget about grasshoppers and get your facts straight !
salamancafiesta

There is a song i heard a year ago that sounded 90% like tender surrender. Im dead positive it is in the 3rd Stu Hamm album (dont remember the name) or perhaps Randy Coven.. :roll:

The album was from the late 80s early 90s.
TheSquareRootOfElvis

KeithH wrote:Sorry mate, but the cover on the bootleg is to the NOTE Tender Surrender !!

And Steve told us himself, he said he bought a bootleg in Japan of a Prince convcert (he is a big Prince fan) and lo and behold the last track was "Tender Surrender", so listening to it late at night on the walkman in his hotel room, steve got to the last track, and it was Steves song being covered !

Sorry MATE I have a copy of that bootleg. I also have "Tender Surrender" and "Villanova Junction". The bootleg is not even close to "Tender Surrender" note for note...all it has in common is the introductory part of "Villanova Junction" which is very similar to "Tender Surrender". I am, I dare say, a bigger Prince fan than Steve and its well known amongst the Prince fan community that it is a cover of "Villanova Junction" that was incorrectly labelled. It is also obvious to anyone who has heard both the bootleg and "Villanova Junction". So before you get all high and mighty with the patronizing "mate" shit...get a copy of the bootleg, get a copy of "Villanova Junction"...actually listen to them so you know what you're talking about...THEN comment. I've read the interview(s) where Steve Vai referred to Prince covering "Tender Surrender" and he was quite simply, and understandably, mistaken...misled by the error made by whoever labelled the bootleg. This may shock you but bootlegs, not being official releases, are often labelled wrongly.

FFS if ignorance is bliss you must be a truly happy man. :roll:
Last edited by TheSquareRootOfElvis on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
KeithH

So what youre saying, essentially, is that you know of the exact bootleg CD that was bought in Japan (even though there were 4 full shelves of Prince bootlegs in that store), and not only that, you think Steve would mistake an entire song (not just the intro, he played the entire song on the bootleg CD to many people he was on tour with) song on it for one he had composed, performed and released himself, and even months later (which it was), asay that that song was his, note for note, and all this taken as fact by you from a CD you have never even heard or seen, which could have been from any concert throughout Princes career.

I heard Steve say that himself, youre talking bollocks about something youve never seen.

Youre either a liar or stupid.
Angelicosis

TheSquareRootOfElvis wrote:
KeithH wrote:Sorry mate, but the cover on the bootleg is to the NOTE Tender Surrender !!

And Steve told us himself, he said he bought a bootleg in Japan of a Prince convcert (he is a big Prince fan) and lo and behold the last track was "Tender Surrender", so listening to it late at night on the walkman in his hotel room, steve got to the last track, and it was Steves song being covered !

Sorry MATE I have a copy of that bootleg. I also have "Tender Surrender" and "Villanova Junction". The bootleg is not even close to "Tender Surrender" note for note...all it has in common is the introductory part of "Villanova Junction" which is very similar to "Tender Surrender". I am, I dare say, a bigger Prince fan than Steve and its well known amongst the Prince fan community that it is a cover of "Villanova Junction" that was incorrectly labelled. It is also obvious to anyone who has heard both the bootleg and "Villanova Junction". So before you get all high and mighty with the sarcastic "mate" shit...get a copy of the bootleg, get a copy of "Villanova Junction"...actually listen to them so you know what you're talking about...THEN comment. I've read the interview(s) where Steve Vai referred to Prince covering "Tender Surrender" and he was quite simply, and understandably, mistaken...misled by the error made by whoever labelled the bootleg. This may shock you but bootlegs, not being official releases, are often labelled wrongly.

FFS if ignorance is bliss you must be a truly happy man. :roll:
You're right about it. I have this song from the bootleg and it doesn't sound like Tender Surrender, except first few chords.

All the best,
Angelika