vai VS John Petrucci

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.

Who is the best guitar player

Steve Vai
23%
Steve Vai
23%
Steve Vai
23%
Steve Vai
23%
John Petrucci
2%
John Petrucci
2%
John Petrucci
2%
John Petrucci
2%

Total votes: 520

rythm_Futur

#76 Post by rythm_Futur » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:47 pm

Actually i have a friend who wants me to get into dream theater. So i have listened to quite a bit (reluctantly)

I think dream theater as a whole is a very skilled band but they are just far to Computer "power tab" for me.

I would like to think i have a wide range of gutiarists and musicians that I like.

Also im just writing to fit the Thread. The question was who was better which comes down to there guitar playing rather then composing. And Steve vai beats petrucci on all fronts bar Alternate picking (which sounds like power tab)

[/quote]

renduke

Re: vai VS John Petrucci

#77 Post by renduke » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:42 pm

eareshel wrote:Okay, here`s the deal.
I altso like Dream Theater, and have bin hanging around the DT forums.
I made the very same poll there, and the results where ugly! steve 7 JP 10!!!
I must hear, people! Vai is the lord! Vote by technique!
anytime you go to a guys OWN board and its that close the answer is obvious.
Vai gets my vote.
Frank Zappa "rating guitarist is a stupid hobby"
While i am a HUGE zappa fan i might have to disagree in that its human nature to access peoples abilities.

IMO, if Vai isn't on your top 3 or 4 all time list you're probably tone deaf.
My top 5
Jeff Beck
Steve Vai (tie for 1st)
Jimi Hendrix
Django Rhiendhart
Frank Zappa

the_grod

#78 Post by the_grod » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:15 am

Guys listen...

Lets all calm down and look at the obvious here...
Like the other guy said...petrucci is a full on computer...for me he was a robot lol...I like the implementation of MIDI and powertab on JP's memory capacity lol

But seriously like all the guys in this forum...Vai is the most expressive...emotive and passionate..however John's style is completely different...you guys don't realise it...

Ive been listening to DT for a year now...JP is who captured me when I heard one of his songs...I thought oh my god that is awesome...thats what brought be back to awesome 90s guitar playing...i was saved by Petrucci...

Deepening into his style...he is more chromatic...scalish...be does go up and down a lot but does it in an awesome manner...its like he literally is a computer with his technique and all...and when I see petrucci I see chromatic a lot of the times...and then I see a robot....

Again...two very different players with different styles....one is a mechanical genius....the other is human...

MatJB

#79 Post by MatJB » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:42 am

Back in the day, (the 1990s), John Petrucci's playing was every bit as human and passionate sounding as Steve's (well, almost.) Since then, however, he seems to have lost most of his creativity, changed his tone from something brilliant to a flat, compressed and cold sound, and turned into a speed-picking robot. Very sad. Sure, he used to do fast alt-picked shred runs back then too, but they actually sounded good and had some purpose in the music, and he used to do great melodic stuff too.

salamancafiesta

#80 Post by salamancafiesta » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:04 pm

truly agree with you Mat.

The Images and words album has some of the best melodic solos ever. Just listen to Learning to Live.

I used tobe a big DT fan but their last records,..., not my taste anymore.

To me the best petrucci was on the Images and Words Live in Tokyo video. On the Learning to lIve Guitar solo.

Mr. Wiggles

#81 Post by Mr. Wiggles » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:13 am

Well I personally like Steve but I mean.. according to these videos JP is a god that cant be touched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evTTHS9hwvU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKMYeXkYcgs

:)

Gulliver

#82 Post by Gulliver » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:39 am

wow... Petrucci is doing pretty well considering this is Steve Vai forum! :lol:

slash89

#83 Post by slash89 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:49 am

Gulliver wrote:wow... Petrucci is doing pretty well considering this is Steve Vai forum! :lol:
I know! It's crazy :shock:

huzi0904
Newcomer

#84 Post by huzi0904 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:34 am

right

calos

#85 Post by calos » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:17 pm

I think both are great players and compossers, both have fantasic skill and dedication to thier creations, and enjoy listen to both, for me _personaly_ Steves music "speaks" to me more, I feel a deeper affinity with it and much or what Steve speaks strikes a chord more often with my own world view, so simpley yes I preffer Steve, but not in any does that take away from what great work Petrucci has, neither are in competion with eachother they simpley both create in their own special and unique ways.

It's a completely personal _feeling_ of prefferance to favour what Steve does, there is not real debate, might as well argue what icecream flavour you like best or wich girl you love more, it's a persons own view point there is no right or wrong simpley clours we preffer.

peace
cal

Santi Rigolizio

#86 Post by Santi Rigolizio » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:38 pm

To me "the best guitar player" doesn't exist. this morning I was listening to Andy Timmons and man, he is an amazing player. So are Steve Vai & John Petrucci. The good thing is that they all sound different... what about Eddie Van Halen, Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani and so on? They have in common one thing: They are great players and you would never stop listening to them. There are so many great players out there that we can't say who is the best. The only question we can ask is: Who do I like more?

viz

Re: vai VS John Petrucci

#87 Post by viz » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:41 am

eareshel wrote:Okay, here`s the deal.
I altso like Dream Theater, and have bin hanging around the DT forums.
I made the very same poll there, and the results where ugly! steve 7 JP 10!!!
I must hear, people! Vai is the lord! Vote by technique!
Excellent question. The answer: Steve Vai.

endor

#88 Post by endor » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:30 pm

Ok, heres the thing, to a technical stand point, petrucci, sure hes fast, but hes clean as hell. and i mean he can play anything, hes just better. compostional though, well no comparison, the closest thing ive heard steve play to dreamtheatres music or LTE is fire garden suite. So there styles of compostions very diffrent. so winner..........

david gilmour, seems hes can play so fast and clean that it seems slow, but hes that fast, he tremolo picks so fast that it sounds like one note sustained :D

rythm_Futur

#89 Post by rythm_Futur » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:13 pm

Please define Technical.

is it just speed folks? If not then vai has far more technique then petrucci.

Vegas_Blues

#90 Post by Vegas_Blues » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:41 pm