vai VS John Petrucci

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.

Who is the best guitar player

Steve Vai
23%
Steve Vai
23%
Steve Vai
23%
Steve Vai
23%
John Petrucci
2%
John Petrucci
2%
John Petrucci
2%
John Petrucci
2%

Total votes: 520

eareshel

vai VS John Petrucci

#1 Post by eareshel » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:32 pm

Okay, here`s the deal.
I altso like Dream Theater, and have bin hanging around the DT forums.
I made the very same poll there, and the results where ugly! steve 7 JP 10!!!
I must hear, people! Vai is the lord! Vote by technique!

GuitarStrings

#2 Post by GuitarStrings » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:06 pm

Technically definitely John Petrucci, but Vai's expressivity and musical creativity is unmatchable. :)
He's definitely my FAVORITE solo artist of ALL TIME.
He's like my father. :)

resha

#3 Post by resha » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:20 pm

The same old story... :(

Technique just ain't how fast you can go, it's how accurately you play, how you bend, how you use the whammy bar, how you can make harmonics sound, how you can play difficult chord changes, how you can make your guitar speak in an expressive way, how you write songs, how you can play "strange" stuff (odd ideas, tapping...), how you can play rhythms, how much you added to the world of your instrument and to the whole music world and so on...

It's not learning some patterns and play them over and over again (not that I'm saying this about JP, but I've heard too many times people talking about that kinda guitarist and referring to them as "virtuosos"...)

Anyway Steve gets my vote

eareshel

#4 Post by eareshel » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:30 pm

resha wrote:The same old story... :(

Technique just ain't how fast you can go, it's how accurately you play, how you bend, how you use the whammy bar, how you can make harmonics sound, how you can play difficult chord changes, how you can make your guitar speak in an expressive way, how you write songs, how you can play "strange" stuff (odd ideas, tapping...), how you can play rhythms, how much you added to the world of your instrument and to the whole music world and so on...

It's not learning some patterns and play them over and over again (not that I'm saying this about JP, but I've heard too many times people talking about that kinda guitarist and referring to them as "virtuosos"...)

Anyway Steve gets my vote
Totaly agree..
Saying JP has got more technique than Vai is just stupid!

SPQR

#5 Post by SPQR » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:45 pm

This Thread is so dumb i hate threads like this, all small talk, who is the bette guitar play, how much nps can he play etc etc, who gives 2 F**Ks just "shut up n play yer Guitar", As the guys above Steve gets my Vote not for bieng better , but for the better of Music and touching peoples hearts.

Obvouisly u have ur own opinion to post threads like this no worries pal.
There is a simalar thread in shred zone forum who is better rusty or Chris impelliteri etc chris vs Fracesco lol who cares those guys cudnt play a melody to save their granny but their technique as in speed in phenonmenal, il give them that.

Byes :lol:

eareshel

#6 Post by eareshel » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:01 pm

Yea.. I kinda agree. But i just want to show people at the DT norway forum who`s the boss ;)
We all know Steve is best.
But Francesco is fast... Its not nice to listen to xD

SPQR

#7 Post by SPQR » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:20 pm

eareshel wrote:Yea.. I kinda agree. But i just want to show people at the DT norway forum who`s the boss ;)
We all know Steve is best.
But Francesco is fast... Its not nice to listen to xD
Glad you didnt take my post the wrong way some people would, so are you at the forum here for good or you just passing by?

Enjoy your stay 8)

We all Vai-brators here

GuitarStrings

#8 Post by GuitarStrings » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:34 pm

eareshel wrote: Saying JP has got more technique than Vai is just stupid!
1:
No, John uses more techniques(way of producing notes on the guitar) than Steve. So that is not a stupid statement. It's a plain cold objective thing, it doesn't contain any artistic or emotional factor.

2:
Asking "who's the better one" is a WAY TOO stupid thing to ask when you are talking about musicians.
It's TOTALLY senseless itself, it's even more stupid to ask who between John and Steve is the better one on a VAI forum.

Sorry man.

:wink:

McNick

#9 Post by McNick » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:12 pm

GuitarStrings wrote:
eareshel wrote: Saying JP has got more technique than Vai is just stupid!
1:
No, John uses more techniques(way of producing notes on the guitar) than Steve. So that is not a stupid statement. It's a plain cold objective thing, it doesn't contain any artistic or emotional factor.

2:
Asking "who's the better one" is a WAY TOO stupid thing to ask when you are talking about musicians.
It's TOTALLY senseless itself, it's even more stupid to ask who between John and Steve is the better one on a VAI forum.

Sorry man.

Uses more techniques?
Steve:

Taps
Sweeps
Picks
Legatos
Strums

What techniques does John Petrucci do that Steve doesnt? If anything, Steves technique is more diverse than Johns... All he does is sweep and pick, and he is a master of rythm and sight reading. So what the hell are you talking about?

GuitarStrings

#10 Post by GuitarStrings » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:51 pm

Well, Petrucci does ALL these things Vai does and Vai doesn't have the same alternate-picking like John's. Petrucci also has a massive low string picking sound...

But you can't just say who's the "best" just by considering these factors... every artist is a HUGE world to explore.
I've been listening to Steve Vai and Dream Theater for MANY MANY MANY years. I know each note of their each composition(including EVERY Steve's guest appearance and DT member's side-projects). You can't really compare an artist like Steve Vai to someone like John Petrucci. They are totally different persons, with completely different background etc.. They have completely different approaches to creating and playing music.

Anyway, I find this technique analyzing/comparing thing disgusting. It's the worst way to really appreciate fine music.
I regret having answered to this stupid "who's the best one" thread.
Yes, my fault.
Who's the best one... who's got more techniques...
Should've shut the f*ck up and kept listen to real Music instead.
This thread is purely childish I am so ashamed for having answered.
You guys clearly have more energy for confronting guitarists and deciding who's the "best". I save my energy for listening to some Music.
Goodbye.

Vaiagra

#11 Post by Vaiagra » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:49 am

Tu-dum-dum-dum..

Anything John can do, Vai can do better,
Vai can do everything better than John.

Anything John can write, Steve can write better,
John can't write anything better than Steve.

Everything John can play, Steve can play faster,
Steve can play everything faster than John.

No he can't! YES HE CAN! No he can't!

YES HE CAN!

8)

(They're both awesome.. however.. Steve wins big time in my book)

GuitarStrings

#12 Post by GuitarStrings » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:28 am

Are you sure man? Do you have EVERY DT album and Liquid Tension Experiment and his acoustic album with Jordan Rudess, and their 10000... cover albums for other bands and John's instructional video and one thousand other side-projects and especially John's solo album?

C'mon, we are all Steve Vai fan, I am a HUGE Steve Vai fan, he's my greatest inspiration. I've listened to his music more than any other since I was a very little boy.

But let's be honest to ourselves.

They are different, I can't pick one because they are just different musicians and human being. But please listen to all things John has done and THEN re-read your own affirmations.

When I like some artist, I always try not to be fanatic about it, I mean, when I like this particular artist, instead of saying he's the "best" and blah blah blah..., I still leave all my "doors" open and let other things enter because every artist is a whole world to explore, maybe even a bigger world.

Last edited by GuitarStrings on Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

slash89

#13 Post by slash89 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:34 am

John is more of an Yngwie type guitarist. That type of music can sound boring after a while. In that game it is more like who can pick fastest and so on. But with Vai and Satriani it's totally different. They attack the instrument in an whole other way. I must say that I started laughing when I read that Petrucci is more technical that Steve. Every time Steve touches the guitar, he plays something different, something unique... I must say that don't know of any other player who is more technical on the guitar as mr. Vai.

GuitarStrings

#14 Post by GuitarStrings » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:38 am

slash89 wrote:John is more of an Yngwie type guitarist. That type of music can sound boring after a while.
You guys are all "guitar-centric" guys. Listen to Dream Theater's beautiful complex compositions, rather than what John's done on G3... it's 0.001% of what he's done in his carrier. Do you really hear the MUSIC instead of the pick hitting strings? I wonder. What does "type" mean? You mean maybe, one day John decided to put himself in yngwie-category and play like him?
C'mon, EVERY guitarist is different because every human being is different, when you are honest to yourself as an artist, then you can find your own voice. John is one of them. (technically speaking, he is more like Morse-DiMeola, but Yngwie no no no)

Vaisnake

#15 Post by Vaisnake » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:57 am

To, the person who started this thread, I wish to express my apologies... I think your an idiot.

To me, Steve and John are great in their own right. And so many others have influenced me with my guitar playing. All this thread has produced is guitar bashing, whos better than who, etc. This is definately NOT what music is all about. Let us all celebrate music the right way!!! harmoniously.

One other thing...I'll leave you with what 'guitarstrings' wrote, "listen to all things John has done and THEN re-read your own affirmations." - no put downs against John and others please. Steve wouldn't like that either.