brother

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
mr savage
Newcomer

brother

#1 Post by mr savage » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:19 am

yo, in th song brother whch is a great song steve sings about his dad. was ths written due to loosing his or is he still alive? or just a tribute to th men in his life? thnku x

KarenO

#2 Post by KarenO » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:19 pm

I don't know the story behind the song but I agree it's a great tribute to his brothers and dad I think. I loved it when I heard. I'd be interested to know the story behind it also. One of the old timers has got to know.....

peace i'm out

karen

Bam
Newcomer

#3 Post by Bam » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:45 pm

I believe steves dad is still alive.... also his brothers what a beautiful song though

kj
Newcomer

#4 Post by kj » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:18 am

I ain't sure but I believe that this song is dedicated to the memory of Steve's dad. I don't have the booklet around at the moment, but I think it's there.

Claus P

#5 Post by Claus P » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:31 am

Steve wrote in the booklet to the Fire Garden album (1996): The song "Brother" is dedicated to the three most influencial men in my life: Roger, Michael and John Vai.The last part of the lyrics goes like this and it could refer to a loss:

And father, I'm in need of your hand
so I can face the world bravely
and father, do you understand
what it is you mean to me

Like a warrior you always conquered
every battle you had to face
And through the hard times
when life was a bitter fight
it's you who would give
so unselfish you lived
A tribute to the world that blood
Is thicker than water

I'm tryin' to say that I love you
I'm tryin' to say that I miss you
Oh, father

lespaulplus

#6 Post by lespaulplus » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:15 am

His father was Mr. John Vai. 1922 - 1998.

This is what Steve said in 1998 in that sad moments: "My father drove me to guitar lessons every week, and sold his life insurance so that I could go to Berklee School of Music. He was the greatest man I've ever known."

fyrie

#7 Post by fyrie » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:37 am

Anyone notice that the main accoustic guitar motif in all of the Brokeback Mountain clips is very much like brother?

GuitarStrings

#8 Post by GuitarStrings » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:16 am

Brother

... is one of my favorite songs of ALL TIME. It has one of my favorite singings on it.
This song along make you fall in love with Steve's Music and his personality.

Draven0914

#9 Post by Draven0914 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:55 am

The song "Brother" really touche me very deeply when I first heard it due to the fact that I mived away from home and when times were hard I could always count on my brothers or my dad to be there for me......but when I moved away i had to deal with personal issues myself........I did not have that crutch to lean on anymore.........and it still to this day brings a tear to my eye when I listen to it........and when times are hard it is the first song I put on the stereo and turn the volume to ten.........it is a very beautiful song from the lyrics to the guitar work to Steve's heartfelt vocal performance it is by far one of his best all around songs every recorded

francktira

Hi

#10 Post by francktira » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:18 am

Hello everyone,
I do not speak American well, but I wanted right
statement that, me also I énormement like this song "Brother",
because I lost also my father this same year, and this song I really
feels it with deepest of me!! Therefore, thank you Steve, I share with you, these emotions!

Sonia

mr. It

Re: Hi

#11 Post by mr. It » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:28 am

francktira wrote:Hello everyone,
I do not speak American well, but I wanted right
statement that, me also I énormement like this song "Brother",
because I lost also my father this same year, and this song I really
feels it with deepest of me!! Therefore, thank you Steve, I share with you, these emotions!

Sonia

if you would read the little book wich is addet to the ultra zone album then you can read that it is in loving memory of Johnny Vai so actually i think he ia already past away if he would be alive then it would be indicated as dedicated to