Dream Like State

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
spencevie

In Steve Vai's tablature book for Passion and Warfare, he says that a certain dream like state/event when he was about 16 changed his life and made him the unique person he is. Does anyone know what it was or what he did? Steve?
slash89

Now I'm curious.. Did you find this in the official tab book? If so, please answer this those who know the answer.
chasmshredder

that´s cool I would like to know that too!
It must have been somthing great...
litlgrnman

I think you may be referring to Steve describing that moment where you are not quite asleep but not awake either but in between...perhaps a midway creature?
Jem-7vwh-agg

he tells everything about it in a audio interview somewhere on the net. Don't remeber where.
spencevie

Yeah, it's an official tab book. It's published by Hal Leonard and "written" by Recorded Versions Guitar. Here's a direct quote from the introduction Steve wrote.
"On the audible vs. the imaginary level, Passion and Warfare is an adventure in melodic, symphonic, heavy metal metaphysics. The entire concept was conceived from a dream state event that took place when I was about 16 years old. This event is probably the single most important factor that I can pinpoint which was the inspiration for the development of the originality and individuality I possess with the guitar and music in general. More than being a strict guitar solo album, I feel this record to be thick with the density of my compositional skills as well." - Steve Vai: Passion and Warfare, Pg. 3
This dream state event has me puzzled as to what it is. Any ideas?
PureVa|

"Ready for this? One of these lucid dream occasions happened when I was about 16 years old. I was playing the guitar while recklessly rocketing through colors and space at a brutal speed. My face was being violently shaken from the rushing wind as tears of sheer joy flowed from my eyes. It was an uncompromised state of euphoria.

There was what sounded like a 1000 piece orchestra of unknown instrumentation, all out of tune but divinely perfect, audibly racing with me. Every note or sound that I played on the guitar would be engulfed by this celestial orchestra and re-harmonized hundreds of different ways creating these cascading kaleidoscopes of indescribable sounds and colors.

It was enormously loud but was coming from within. I wasn't using my physical senses like sight, hearing or feeling. These sensations were being experienced with a different set of sensual tools that were similar than the physical ones, but magnified to a great degree and multi dimensional too (ugh, this is hard to try to explain).

The sound was all around. Inside, outside, upside-down etc. There was no pain or discomfort, no direction or real volume in the conventional way we know it. It was just untainted brilliant, euphoric intensity.

It all came to a crash landing when I hit the bed and awoke with the remnants of this galactic philharmonic still reverberating in my head. I woke up uncontrollably weeping and depressed that it was "only just a dream" ???

I've heard others try to describe the same state of mind. The greatest music ever sounded on this earthly plane is a pathetic, feeble shadow of the purity and magnitude of the music within, but I am not an authority on this, although I believe that authorities on the subject do exist. I am not in control of these incredible states of consciousness and can not summon them at will, although I try all the time. They come when they want and go as they please. Experimenting in these realms without the guidance of someone who is experienced can be extremely dangerous to one's spiritual health."

~Taken from http://www.vai.com/AllAboutSteve/discon ... ssion.html

Your welcome... :wink:
Cozi101

Hey, I have the answer to your question about some diaries he kept of his dreams when he was 15 and also an analysis of every song in .pdf file, if someone can tell me how to get it on here I would gladly put it up.

Thanks
guitar_man_6

Submit the file to a free file hoster on the net (eg. http://www.savefile.com), and then give us the link.
spencevie

Wow! That sounds amazing.
Cozi101

slash89

Great! The whole Steve Vai phenomona gets more and more mysterious... It sounds like he's in contact with some super-natural force.
Kas_satriani
Newcomer

Well i also think that this has something to do with it.

I just recently listend to a bootleg of steve on the ultra zone tour playing the song "voodoo acid" and through this song he explains what it's about, and it's the funniest thing i've ever heard, when he was 16or17 and at the music school of berkly there was this school nerbie for real rich people and they would always have these real big and awsome parties and would suply every one with drugs, acording to steve. Any way he went to this party and was aproached by this very dark skinned women with a big hat or rug thingy on her head and all kinds of paint and makup on her face, she gave steve acid and the rest is history...lol!

Here's the song and explination, http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 2C70E42459
slash89

Kas_satriani wrote:Well i also think that this has something to do with it.

I just recently listend to a bootleg of steve on the ultra zone tour playing the song "voodoo acid" and through this song he explains what it's about, and it's the funniest thing i've ever heard, when he was 16or17 and at the music school of berkly there was this school nerbie for real rich people and they would always have these real big and awsome parties and would suply every one with drugs, acording to steve. Any way he went to this party and was aproached by this very dark skinned women with a big hat or rug thingy on her head and all kinds of paint and makup on her face, she gave steve acid and the rest is history...lol!

Here's the song and explination, http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 2C70E42459
Sweet man! Thank you :)
EyesOfFire0221

I think Steve had an experence with Lucid Dreaming ....I dont know for sure but it seems like it here is a defenition of what it means

Lucid dreaming is the conscious perception of one's state while dreaming, resulting in a much clearer ("lucid") experience and usually enabling direct control over the content of the dream. The complete experience from start to finish is called a lucid dream. Stephen LaBerge, a popular author and experimenter on the subject, has defined it as "dreaming while knowing that you are dreaming." [1