Where were you when you first heard "Passion And Warfar

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
memyselfandus
Newcomer

Where were you when you first heard "Passion And Warfare"?

Me Muzic At
www.myspace.com/memyselfandus

"Soda Popinski"
SRVoodoo

it was 1990 & all I really knew was that "Flexible" rocked & this guy used to play with Zappa (who's music I had never heard but, I just KNEW that it was special)
...anyway, I'd just returned home from surgery & sent my parents out to get me the cassette tape "Passion & Warefare" (I was 18 & already out of the house but my parents suggested that I stay with them until I recovered from the surgery)
once I heard FTLOG & Blue Powder I was hooked!
now people come to my house & ask what cd's I have & I just point to the rack with Steve & Dream Theater :lol:

p.s. Borg & Evolution rock!
fyrie

I remember it vividly. I had see Vai on MTV in the DLR videos, and then again in "A Fool for Your Lovin". That song, especially the solo caught my interest, so I pickup up P&W. I was fairly young at the time and I only had a mono "boom box". I purchased the cassette at tiny, tiny guitar shop in town and read the latest Vai Guitar for the Practicing Musician as I listened to it. After it was over, I hit rewind, pressed play and started reading and listening again.
memyselfandus
Newcomer

Awesome stories! Hey thanks srvoodoo!
StratAbuse
Newcomer

I remember playing some basketball when I broke my big toe.... the pain was so bad.. but I came home and listened to PAW.. I know that's not a great story but the music really spoke to me at the time.. and speaking of PAW... Blue Powder must be the greatest tune ever written.
litlgrnman

I was working at a mall at the time and walked down to Musicland. The riff to Answers was filling the place and I could tell who was playin right away. I bought it instantly. It was the 2nd cd I ever bought (the first was Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique). I was hooked from the first notes of Liberty. Passion and Warfare is the soundtrack to some of the best times of my life!
RAI

Well, my friend and I knew it was coming, so we would check the stores regularly to see if it was in yet. One day he called me and said "Dude, it's in!!!!!!!!" I hauled a** down to the store, and picked up my copy of the LP.
Yes, Vinyl.....
I headed straight over to my buddy's place where he was waiting patiently.
He had not listened to it yet. We closed the door behind us, and sat down for an afternoon of aural bliss....

Good stuff.
8)
Zongadude

I knew about Steve because I already owned Flexable, Alcatrazz, DLR...

And then this issue of Guitar Player with a fascinating interview of Steve about the forthcoming P&W album came out, and I just couldn't wait to hear such a record. (it was rare to find an american magazine in France, at the time).

Finally on the very last day of school the album was available in french stores, and after the last class I rushed.... and listened immediatly to it at home, sitting in an armchair with headphones on. It was a memorable experience. :)
Lake of desire

Well, I had read about Steve in some guitar magazines (must have been '94 or '95). I got a copy of P&W from the library, listened to it and didn't think much of it at the time. Time went by and there were something about him in a magazine when Fire Garden came out. I bought the album, liked it and decided to take the plunge and buy P&W too, knowing that I hadn't been very impressed by it the first time, and it blew me away! I've been a huge fan ever since.

Moral of the story? Always give an album a second chance.

So to answer your "where were you..." -question: in my room.
Vaisnake

I was at a friends house. He had erotic nightmares blaring through the cd player, as soon as i heard the start to that song with the screams etc, I thought to myself, theres no way thats a guitar. I had trouble believing most of those weird noises were done on a guitar. I've been hooked ever since.
slash89

I heard it a couple of years ago, and it changed my guitar playing forever.
treeduck

Well it was 1990 and I thought shit it's about time that came out...(it was delayed somewhat...) I listened very carefully to Blue Powder to see if it was the exact same version as the Guitar Player flexi disc version, but I'm still not sure if it is or not... :?
guitar88

In a music store.
roryrobson666
Newcomer

i heared it at my friends house.....i thought it was really bizzare and discarded it, but i was quite young, and recently i heared for the love of god, and i saw it in a completly different light, it was like nothing i had heard before! so later that day, i bought it, and was absolutely mesmerised!
sisterinlaw

In my car driving beyond all speed limits :roll: