G3 2006/7 !

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Dragonfly777

#31 Post by Dragonfly777 » Mon May 01, 2006 12:19 pm

It's sad to see that Mr. Vai wont be there. I hope they dont repeat a guest guitarist like Malmsteen or Johnson or Petrucci. I speculate that it will probably be Joe satriani, Paul Gilbert, and Marty Friedman.

Seitekifu
Newcomer

#32 Post by Seitekifu » Mon May 01, 2006 2:54 pm

stratocastermaster wrote:I honestly really don'y want to see Yngwie. I saw him and his stage perssonality is horrid, his playing is repetitive and I'm not a fan.
same here

I'd rather it be Marty Friedman and George Lynch (Lynch if Vai couldn't make it.)

dragonlantz777

#33 Post by dragonlantz777 » Mon May 01, 2006 3:22 pm

how about stanley jordan and jennifer batten

stratocastermaster

#34 Post by stratocastermaster » Mon May 01, 2006 5:21 pm

what about Holdsworth?

another virtuoso

#35 Post by another virtuoso » Tue May 02, 2006 8:19 pm

i'd like to see first of all Vai, then satch, and then..
gilbert or buckethead

but I haven't heard a whole lot of these other guys like Lynch, Holdsworth, and Friedman. I did see a video of Marty Freidman once though and it was really cool.

definately not EVH or Clapton, although i am huge fans of both. EVH is a great guitar player, but not G3 great, in my opinion. He's got the whole tapping thing... and... is just pretty cool in general... but not who I would want to see at a G3 show.
Now if EVH would tour by himself about a week after G3 I'd be happy really really happy with that lol

slash89

#36 Post by slash89 » Tue May 02, 2006 11:36 pm

another virtuoso wrote:i'd like to see first of all Vai, then satch, and then..
gilbert or buckethead

but I haven't heard a whole lot of these other guys like Lynch, Holdsworth, and Friedman. I did see a video of Marty Freidman once though and it was really cool.

definately not EVH or Clapton, although i am huge fans of both. EVH is a great guitar player, but not G3 great, in my opinion. He's got the whole tapping thing... and... is just pretty cool in general... but not who I would want to see at a G3 show.
Now if EVH would tour by himself about a week after G3 I'd be happy really really happy with that lol
I won't argue with you there. I love Buckethead and Paul Gilbert.

KNOX

#37 Post by KNOX » Wed May 03, 2006 11:04 am

Steve Lukather, Paul Gilbert, Andy Timmons, Allan Holdsworth.....

Vai, Timmons and Gilbert all performed together at the Ibanez 90th Anniversary concert in Hoshino.....it was awesome!

IronMaidenRocks

#38 Post by IronMaidenRocks » Thu May 04, 2006 12:42 am

satch, eric johnson and...

ERIC SARDINAS

that would kick ass!

RM

#39 Post by RM » Thu May 04, 2006 2:25 am

How about totally different personalities to the usual bunch. Yes Eric Sardinas would be cool, Eric Clapton would be interesting...There are so many people who would bring something else to the mix rather than the new breed of similar sounding shredders... I personally don't think Paul Gilbert would bring anything different to the fold, neither would people like Buckethead, Michael Angelo or Rusty Cooley.

It would be really cool to watch Satch try to hold his own against the likes of Stanley Jordan, Al DiMeola, Buddy Guy...that kind of thing. Any of those would bring something different out of Satch and would create a brand new experience for the listener...

That said, my personal hopes for the G3 Lineup (if Vai can't do it) would be Satch, Nuno Bettencourt, and Hotei. Each of those are totally fresh personalities and would pull the G3 jam, and the entire show into a slightly different shape.

Incidentally, there was a previous Europe tour in which Steve didn't play, and there were the usual G3 jam situations. The lineup wasn't particulary exciting as Michael Schenker just didn't fit in at all, but Uli Jon Roth was amazing.

IronMaidenRocks

#40 Post by IronMaidenRocks » Thu May 04, 2006 3:23 am

the jam on g3 live in tokyo is not as good as the one from denver, the three are just shredding, steve seems to be without ideas. might be because of the amazing real illusions tour, but the hole dvd is not as great as the stuff from denver... what about something like g5? or a g7? that would really rock!

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

#41 Post by CymbalSplittingSkinbasher » Thu May 04, 2006 4:49 am

Buckethead wouldn't bring anything different to the fold? :? Um, ok. :lol:

GregN

#42 Post by GregN » Thu May 04, 2006 5:08 am

RM wrote:
It would be really cool to watch Satch try to hold his own against the likes of Stanley Jordan, Al DiMeola, Buddy Guy...that kind of thing. Any of those would bring something different out of Satch and would create a brand new experience for the listener...
i like Al DiMeola alot

that would be pretty neat

vaigod

#43 Post by vaigod » Thu May 04, 2006 6:18 am

I am very sad to hear that Steve wont be joining in. It'd be cool if he surprised people at a show or tow. Just hard to think of G3 without him.

As far lineup.

I would like to see.

1. Joe S
2. Paul G
3. Allan H.

~D

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

OH YEAH!!!

#44 Post by CymbalSplittingSkinbasher » Thu May 04, 2006 6:58 am

Joe Satriani
Jeff Kollman
Alex Skolnick

:guitar :guitar :guitar :shock:

YaiYaiYai
Banned

#45 Post by YaiYaiYai » Thu May 04, 2006 8:07 am

no just Gilbert

apparantley he is coming over to the UK or whatever to do stuff rather then Japs all the time

Why cant they reveal, not like anyone would die.