THE STEVE VAI TOP 10

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Lande
Newcomer

#46 Post by Lande » Mon May 22, 2006 5:43 pm

Today I guess this is my Top 10:

1. The Crying Machine
2. All About Eve
3. Building The Church
4. Under It All
5. Hand On Heart
6. Windows To Your Soul
7. Midway Creatures
8. I Know You're Here
9. Boston Rain Melody
10. Freak Show Excess

FireComa

#47 Post by FireComa » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:34 pm

I've always wanted to post a full top ten analysis of Vai's music, and after a forum search I've found my chance!

1. "Whispering a Prayer"

-It's such a powerful song and an amazing live song. Steve himself said "I don't think I can be any more intimate on a guitar than this performance." It's perfect beauty in every sense of the word. The amazing part at 1:38 takes my breath away every time I hear it. Hearing him play this made my year.

2. "Fire Garden Suite" ("Bangkok" included)

-This is a progressive rock masterpiece. It also includes the Indian-esque vibe that is somewhat prominent in Steve's music. The acoustic guitar/piano duet of "Angel Food" is amazing, especially at 4:30 where the guitar and piano play the same line, note for note. The harmony is unbelievable.

3. "The Boy From Seattle"

-The most underrated Vai track in my opinion. It's blues Steve-style. It's really an amazing song overall and easily the best track on "Alien Love Secrets."

4. "Under It All"

-I don't think it's possible to make a track as deep or as epic as this song. Not only is it an amazing song, but the amazing confessions at the end really reveal the things that haunt us as regular people. There could not have been a better ending to "Real Illusions" than this song.

5. "Bad Horsie"

-Truly it's my love for metal that makes this song up there. It's a perfect demonstration of metal guitar: tuned down to C heaviness. The use of a slide is perfect; it gives it a bluesy feeling at times. Also, this is a further demonstration of Steve's whammy bar prowess. Plus, there is only a few things cooler than watching this on "Live at the Astoria" with all of the lovely lasers he employs.

6. "I Would Love To"

-I guess being in David Lee Roth's band did rub off onto Steve one way or another. This is very eighties. The opening riff is actually the epitome of eighties hair rock/pop. However, this is still a very Steve song. Cool whammy tricks and some amazing soloing. The accompianing music video is also good for a few laughs.

7. "Freak Show Excess"

-Apparently someone used this to describe Steve. Then Steve wrote this song. This should shut the reviewer up! Steve said that you needed "Olympian musicians" to play this song, and it's true. The inspiration of Bulgarian wedding music turned this song into the epic speed demon that it is. The epic melt-your-face-off solo is amazing every time you hear it. As Steve would say, "That's enough of that nonsense."

8. "Answers"

-The "G3 Live in Concert" version of this song was the first version I heard, and it blew me away. That version stands as my favorite, but the studio version is also amazing, as is the epic "Sound Theories" take on it. A brilliant live experience if you ever get to live it.

9. "Liberty"

-If you ever get to experience the unbelievable music that is the "Sound Theories" version of this song, you will not go back. The original sound of that song is essentially very patriotic as the title implies, but the "Sound Theories" version is one of the best things I have ever heard an orchestra do. Not only is the original a Vai classic, but the "Sound Theories" version earns this song a top 10 spot.

10. "All About Eve"

-You really have to include at least one vocal track on any top ten Vai list. While "Under it All" is a vocal performance, the vocals on that song are not what makes it amazing. This song is one of the best ballads ever written, a dark ballad with outstanding vocals. I am really curious as to how people find his vocals bad; even songs that I thought were generally "bad" vocal performances ("I'm Your Secrets") I have grown to love. I loved "Eve" ever since I first heard it.

Other close spots (It was hard to make this list!)

-"The Attitude Song"- Classic, classic Vai.

-"The Audience is Listening"- The best version of "Hot For Teacher" ever written.

-"The Black Forest"- One of the most unique and very underrated Vai creations.

-"Building the Church"-Live staple, amazing shredding.

-"Genocide"- Very underrated, catchy chorus. "Aching Hunger" could have also gotten the spot, these two "Fire Garden" vocal tracks are amazing.

-"Warm Regards"- My second favorite Vai instrumental ballad after "Whispering." And a traditional signature on the Vai.com fan forum board!

I know I am already going to get shot up into pieces for not putting "For the Love of God" up there somewhere, but I'm not too huge on that song, even though the "Sound Theories" version is mind-blowing.[/b]

call_of_ktulu

#48 Post by call_of_ktulu » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:16 am

1- For The Love Of God
2- Building The Church
3- Windows To The Soul
4- Glorious
5- The Crying Machine
6- Lotus Feet
7- Blood and Glory
8- Bad Horsie
9- K'm Pee Du Wee
10- Fever Dream

smiffy

#49 Post by smiffy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:03 am

In no particular order

Erotic Nightmares
The Animal
For the Love of God
The Boy From Seattle
Dyin' Day
Hand on Heart
Taurus Bulba
Attitude Song (G3 1996 version)
Windows To The Soul
Lotus Feet

That was almost impossible - I think I could have made another Top-10 that I would like just as much.

Booligan

#50 Post by Booligan » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:21 am

my list is in no particular order

Juice - how could i not include it as it was the song that got me into Vai?
Freak Show excess - it´s just so in your face
Fire Garden Suite - i like everything weird and this is it
I would love to - brilliant rocker that always leaves me in a good mood
The Animal - amazing groove throughout
Answers - groovy baby!
Asian Sky - Only Vai song with vocals that I really dig. Little alligators pretty good too

Lucky Charms - great orchestration and nice melodies
Glorious - so simple it´s good
The audience is listening - the essential HAVE FUN! song

If i had to play 10 Vai songs to someone who has never heard his stuff before, that would be a different list. but only a bit different..

EyE

#51 Post by EyE » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:16 am

This is way to hard to narrow it down to 10 songs. But here's my best attempt in no particular order aswell.

Salamanders in the Sun
Oooo
I know you're here
The Riddle
Natural Born Boy
Incantation
I'm Becomming
The Fire Garden Suite
Frangelica
Die to Live

TonkpilS
Newcomer

#52 Post by TonkpilS » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:48 am

Building the church, it got me into Vai
Tender Surrender.I broke into tears)))) when i heard it some years ago..
Lotus Feet...
For The Love Of God
Christmas Time Is Here
The Audience Is Listening
Juice
The Boy From Seattle
Bad Horse

ty2k

#53 Post by ty2k » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:47 pm

Wow,really hard to pick.Here goes;

1.Bad Horsie
2. For the love of god
3.I would love to
4.Building a Church
5.All about Eve
6.Answers
7.Freak show excess
8.Whispering a Prayer
9.Survive
10.Fire Garden Suite

saraht

#54 Post by saraht » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:22 pm

Hmm. Difficult. But I would say (in no order)

Building the Church
All About Eve
Lotus Feet
Bad Horsie
F*ck Yourself
Blue Powder
The Crying Machine
Windows to the Soul
Die to Live
Midway Creatures

TheOtnip

#55 Post by TheOtnip » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:18 pm

Lets see here... No order, that'd be too hard... :wink:

Boston Rain Melody: Words cannot describe.
Salamanders in the Sun (Sound Theories V. 1) I enjoy humming and skipping to this song in random places :lol:
I'm the Hell Outta Here: Fun and catchy.
For the Love of God (Sound Theories V.1): The intro to this is... wow.
Shadows and Sparks: Great main theme
Incantation: Brilliant melody
Baaaaaaaaaaaaad Horsie: METAL!!!! :D
K'm Pee-Du-We: Simplicity at its finest.
Tender Surrender: I always do Vai faces uncontrollably while listening to this song, so I don't listen to it at school in fear of it :)
Fire Garden Suite: Angel Food and Taurus Bulba. 'Nuff said.

...That was way too hard :lol:

guitarbonham

#56 Post by guitarbonham » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:44 am

hehe this would be really hard, but i'm gonna cheat. I'm gonna take my ipod and see which vai songs i listen to the most. those would probably be my top 10.... wait no with the exception of whispering a prayer cuz i don' have tht one yet.....
1The audience is listening
2building the church
3juice
4die to live
5K'm-pee-du-wee
6bad horsie
7fire wall - haven't seen anyone with this song! I can't believe it!
8Dying for you love - same with this one!
9 tender surrender
10midway creatures

songs i don't have that could come close are: whispering a prayer, the crying machine, and his version of little wing.

smiffy

#57 Post by smiffy » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:27 am

smiffy wrote:In no particular order

Erotic Nightmares
The Animal
For the Love of God
The Boy From Seattle
Dyin' Day
Hand on Heart
Taurus Bulba
Attitude Song (G3 1996 version)
Windows To The Soul
Lotus Feet

That was almost impossible - I think I could have made another Top-10 that I would like just as much.
I don't know if it's allowed, but I can't help myself, I just have to make an alternative top-10.

In no particular order

Liberty
Answers
Blue Powder
Juice
Tender Surrender
The Crying Machine
Warm Regards
Jibboom
Blood and Glory
Building the Church

I think I like this top-10 just as much as the first I made. I could probably make another one that was just as good, if you know what I mean.

faithplusone01

Re: THE STEVE VAI TOP 10

#58 Post by faithplusone01 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:29 pm

Thought that this thread might be a fun one to revive.

Thinking about this today, I'd have to say that my top 10 are:

Whispering a Prayer, Lucky Charms, Frank, All About Eve, Lotus Feet, Under It All, Die to Live, Juice, Touching Tounges, Survive

10. Juice- Great track that showcases Vai's ability to make a real Guitar-Showpeice tune, but add compositional elements to it. Its not your typical boring boogie like it could've been, instead, he makes it much more melodic and makes the song much more fun to listen to.
9. Survive- I'm a HUGE Devin Townsend fan. I love his voice on this song, thats why its here! The lyrics are a pretty sweet bonus too might I add, however, the instrumental section in the middle including Vai's solos is very funky and upbeat and makes me want to dance everytime I hear it.
8. Under It All- Very thought-provoking lyrics and great use of spoken words in the middle provide the mental workout, but to me, the greatness lies in the brilliant production. The overall energy contained within this song makes me want to scream at the end. What a climax!
7. Die to Live- Brilliant instrumental that manages to be relatively simple technically (aside from the 7/8 time signature) but very melodic simultaneously. All in all, I cannot describe anything else, I just think its one of his best compositions.
6. The Boy From Seattle- Awesome song. The Guitar Solo in the middle describes it all. He could've shred away, but instead he creates some beautiful delayed harmonies that take the song into another dimension. I wish he would play this way more often.
5. Lotus Feet- Must I honestly say more? On a different day, it could've been number one! One of the most beautiful things that I've ever heard.
4. Touching Tounges- Once again, on a different day, it could've been number one! The way that this song builds and builds to Devin's vocal solo just makes my soul cry. This song is just too good for words, which is why I love how Steve wrote it "backwards", that is, the Guitar sings the melody, and the Vocals come in the solo. How I wish Steve would somehow pull this one out in concert someday...
3. All About Eve- Steve proves that he can sing very well, and I wish that he would actually do so more often now that I think about it. Great lyrics, a great solo, a great song, a great composition, a great production job, just overall Steve's best vocal song.
2. Lucky Charms- This song makes me laugh and cry and feel triumphant and happy and sad all at once. Easily Steve's single greatest composition, and thus his most underrated song in my opinion. This is an example of one that doesn't need a guitar in Steve's hands for the entire time to make it great.
1. Whispering a Prayer- One of the best songs ever written. It makes my soul feel good. I cannot say anything more. On another day, it could've been anything in the top 5, but today its #1 because it means so much to me. If you're dumb enough to believe that Vai doesn't play with "feeling", then you have no soul. If you are not moved to tears when you "discover" this song, you are probably dead and in heaven already...

So, anybody else care to add?

b2

#59 Post by b2 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:42 pm

Just read the last reviewers reply and note about "Lucky Charms".
I agree 100%. For a few days ago I thought about open a new thread here on this song.

"Lucky Charms" must taken "years" to record, it's so much going on in that song.
Vai, Zappa, Disney, aliens, X-mas... I hear all kind of great sounds/moods.
I love "Little Green Men" because it makes me happy, and "Lucky Charms" much the same.
I love the acoustic parts, nice sound and playing. Also the horns are great.
Would love to see this song played live, but maybe it is to complex to be performed live?
Would love to see a "cartoon music video" inspired by this song... don't know why I believe that would be great...

ty2k

#60 Post by ty2k » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:16 am

Tough!!

1. Building The Church
2. Whispering a Prayer
3. For The Love Of God
4. Dyin` Day
5. The Crying Machine
6. Erotic Nightmares
7. Die To Live
8. All about Eve