How would you describe Steve´s Guitar Sound?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Patill

It´s a kind of its own.

This is my description of the live sound (only distortion), also hearable on the "Live at the Astoria in London" DVD.

I think the sound is very, very synthetic, but not in a bad way. It sounds a tiny little bit "through the nose" if you know what I mean. I hear this a lot when he plays one single note a little longer, like a bend (which is actually more than one note). Best example is the first bend in the solo of "I know you´re here" on the G3 DVD (!) with YJMalmsteen. His sound has the full warmth and presence (well, not the Amp-Presence, what I mean is the sound is just "there"). And even with this warmth the sound of the WahWah-Pedal is still so clear and expressive...well, I´m dreaming :).

I really would like to play his setup once, and I think it really would be diffrent of what I am describing here. I think it is really interesting what a musician puts into his sound and what the people take/absorb...like Illusion and Reflection ;). Though, his Illusion to us (-> the sound we hear)seems to be a Reflection of him...confusing :).

So what do you think about Steves sound, in which way does it reach you or what do you get? Let´s put the little black dots asside, we all love them :)...but what would the sound be without...
Instrumentalrockrocks

I always thought Steve uses (because his tone is VERY clear and just... well not really much bass... if you know what I mean)...

very trebly sort of tone...

Shred On :guitar
Jem-7vwh-agg

Sounds like a female voice with a wah on it :)

I love it !!! :headbang
chasmshredder

It sounds....... magical especially on "Building The Church"...with the snyths and that stuff
zappahead

well, even if you played his rig, its not like you would sound like vai, its much more than the rig. he sounds like vai, because its his fingertips playin it, he'll tell you that himself. its like the ted nugent story. ted opened for van halen on a tour, and eddies guitar tech was cheking his rig, ted said can i play?? he said sure, so ted says i've always wanted to play through his rig for that sound, the tech proceeds to say, well you'll just sound like ted nugent on it!! lol
Patill

well, zappahead, I think you´re mixing up the words "sound" and "tone" (or do I?). I will never reach Steves tone with that rig, but the sound he adjusted with the knobs. My definition of sound just differs from yours, this happens very often, as long as nobody puts a definition into a dictionary :).

I like this female voice thing...:)
Jem-7vwh-agg

Patill wrote:well, zappahead, I think you´re mixing up the words "sound" and "tone" (or do I?). I will never reach Steves tone with that rig, but the sound he adjusted with the knobs. My definition of sound just differs from yours, this happens very often, as long as nobody puts a definition into a dictionary :).

I like this female voice thing...:)
:wink:
R1FSR

Heavenly
Ant711UK

I think his note choice and phrasing affects some listeners ears more than his guitar sound and they may confuse that with actual 'tone'. Although it amounts to the same thing I suppose :? It's very difficult to explain!

I love Satriani's note choice but some of the time I think the actual sound of the guitar he is playing is bleedin orrible but it still makes me think Aaahh..beautiful stuff when I listen to it.

Tony
slash89

Like the voice of God...
BajoElSol

lush
BajoElSol

slash89 wrote:Like the voice of God...
now.... I wouldn't go that far....
Naffis-kun

Unique.

That's the only word I can think of.
Other guitar tones sound kinda boring..
frenchfred

for me, a kind of contradiction (like the title of his album) : I love it !!!
A kind of voluntary "cold" sound with a generous style or approach....
mr_vai777

it sounds too good :P

it makes us nobodys feel bad because we have crap synths

but seriously it sounds awesome and i challenge anyone else to get a better sound 8)