A Question for You...

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
litlgrnman

#31 Post by litlgrnman » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:48 pm

I am salivating at the thought of another ALSesque offering. While I will hungrily gobble up anything you release I would loooove a stripped down rock record. For me ALS is just so warm and heavy and pure fun. When I listen to it I get the feeling of a stream of of consciousness flowing from your fingertips. It's just right there on the platter for ya. Have some! I love it.

The other reason I would like to see an interim offering before RI2 is that after following your career for many years I know how projects tend to run a little overquote. I'm not criticizing as I am a huge advocate of quality art over quantity and have yet to be disappointed. I just have a feeling that RI2 is the type of project that will consume you for quite a period of time. My greedy gene tells me that we would get something much sooner if you were to let loose on an ALS type project.

Of course you should just go for what feels right. I trust you will. In any case, thank you for caring enough to ask our opinions!

RAI

#32 Post by RAI » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:12 pm

Whatever floats your boat, my dear.........
:wink:

Someone suggested a polka album.
In the style of SSV?
Sounds intriguing!

In other words, what ever happens to hit you, I'll listen to...
Maybe a Britney Spears "appreciation" CD?
8)

goth_fiend

#33 Post by goth_fiend » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:59 pm

Personally I think a "alien love secrets on steroids" would be amazing, but we expect nothing less from you Steve (I cant believe Im replying in a thread started by steve!) , Real Illusions pt.1 is such an amazing album, Im still trying to learn riffs and ideas from it. K'm Pee Du Wee is quite possibly one of my favorite tracks of your's Mr. Vai.

Gulliver

#34 Post by Gulliver » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:34 am

Steve, personally I can't wait for Real Illusions II... But if you want to kick Mr. Petrucci's ass - you have my blessings!! :lol:
Last edited by Gulliver on Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Petie

Re: A Question for You...

#35 Post by Petie » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:35 am

Steve Himself wrote:My plans after that was to go right to work on Real Illusions part 2 but it will be an intensive project with some pretty dynamic and dense music. Hey, what else is new right? It may take over a year so I was thinking in the mean time I would do an instrumental record that focuses on the guitar, sort of like "Alien Love Secrets" on steroids.
How about doing an instrumental record but releasing that under the banner of "Real Illusions"? In the grand scheme of the ultimate concept album, it could function as 'connective tissue' between songs.

I'm not sure if this is what you intended or not Steve, but I imagine that when Real Illusions is completed it would be possible to use modern technology (ie: playlists in mp3 players like the iPod) to allow your fans to construct a complete, linear Real Illusions story, which would put all the songs in a beginning-to-end order. If you were to release an instrumental album which tapped into emotional themes from the Real Illusions concept, it could allow you to add even more layers of depth and meaning to the ultimate story, and give you more to play with in terms of connecting one song to another, one character to another or one storyline to another, without having to interrupt the lyrical flow of the story you're telling.

Just a thought. :)

I'm a huge David Bowie fan, and I was really disappointed when he decided not to continue his "Outside" project, which was supposed to include an album a year for six years to finish a huge storyline. He abandoned it after the first one, and I know you won't abandon Real Illusions but I don't want to wait too long for the next installment.

Gyborg

#36 Post by Gyborg » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:41 am

Hi Steve!
Is always amazing seeing you speaking with your fans and asking for advice!

Well, I think it will be a great idea to relase a totally guitar-oriented album between RI and RI2! We love all aspects of your work, it's very nice to hear both a deep project like RI, and a less profound and more guitar-oriented one!

Probably it can be also a good way to relax your mind for a while before a deep immersion in the 2nd chapter of the mega-project RI. It seems to be a very hard work to do, so take your time Steve (although we're always looking forward for a new album or video)!

Greetings,
Gyb

francktira

Hi Steve

#37 Post by francktira » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:55 am

To want to share your thought on the future of a new album, and to ask
us, with us what one thinks, we are to flatter! Thank you for this
attention!
A continuation of illusion, for me I would be would be more than delighted! I know each note of this album on the end of the fingers (and
in Clermont Clermont, you had pointed out it to me) and for me when I listen to this album and that it arrives at its last piece, I am a little to frustrate, because I would still like some, then a continuation....you think!!!
This album is magic, it surprises you of note in note, you put small
things which are incredibly found just there or one do not await them!
Then I waits with much patient, all the notes which will return the
life even more beautiful to me! Thank you Steve!
Sonia

lucky7

#38 Post by lucky7 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:03 am

Sounds great, but what I and a lot of fans would love is another tour of Australia....You told us 18 months?!
Please, please, please pencil our great land in soon.
Any album you release will be loved by the vast majority of your fans, which seem to be growing rather than waning anyway! 8) :D

francktira

Re: Hi Steve

#39 Post by francktira » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:03 am

francktira wrote:To want to share your thought on the future of a new album, and to ask
us, with us what one thinks, we are to flatter! Thank you for this
attention!
A continuation of illusion, for me I would be would be more than delighted! I know each note of this album on the end of the fingers (and
in Clermont Clermont, you had pointed out it to me) and for me when I listen to this album and that it arrives at its last piece, I am a little to frustrate, because I would still like some, then a continuation....you think!!!
This album is magic, it surprises you of note in note, you put small
things which are incredibly found just there or one do not await them!
Then I waits with much patient, all the notes which will return the
life even more beautiful to me! Thank you Steve!
Sonia

Samuele

next project

#40 Post by Samuele » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:23 am

Hi Steve,
let me tell you I'm the kind of guy that is going to love whatever kind of record you release. It just happens, I can't help it. My favorite project you ever embarked on is Real Illusions (in fact, I'm still listening to Reflections at least once a week).

Hearing about the possibility of an over the top instrumental guitar album a la Alien Love Secrets really intrigues me, like the feel of menthol in your blood. Also, hearing from you about this chance of making this other record has me suspect you already have a few ideas (if not complete songs) that would fit it. Plus, it would be one record more that you release - and that would be great, because the more music I can get from you the better.

But, let me also tell you - if you decide to do this other record - don't let it become too much of a compromise. Stay true to yourself as you always did in the past, and don't make the record if it gets too contrived. I love the choice you took with Under It All, you get the picture.

So, Steve, if you feel like doing it then just go for it. If you don't, then just say no. After all, the decision is up to you. (By the way, I've never ever written so many do's and dont's before - excuse me if I sounded imperative.) In any case, I hope you come up with the music that best pleases you first, because I found out a while ago that if it pleases you, it happens with me too.

Thank you for taking the time to write. You' re always my favorite artist (You'll always be).

See you in Rome,

Samuele
Last edited by Samuele on Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

-yasi-

#41 Post by -yasi- » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:51 am

Hey Steve..... I think RI 2 sounds very cool !!
I would love to hear songs like building the church...and the part with the acustic guitar was a very great idear.....

but i would do the things so, as you want it...........!!!

See you at the ZPZ tour in zurich :lol:

TPR
Newcomer

#42 Post by TPR » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:28 am

The idea of a hi-energy instrumental album without months of producing and dozens of overdubs sounds very good. Just go crazy with a guitar!

dreamongirl

#43 Post by dreamongirl » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:27 am

hello mr. vai
whatever you do your fans will like it.
but your idea is great.
hm, i would love it when you make a cd like in your first time with
whitesnake sometime.
for me is it one of the best rockalbum ever
so long

EyE

#44 Post by EyE » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:25 am

Listen to your inner voice!!! In a way it makes sense to make a high-gain stuntguitar album between the RI saga. Maybe after the ZPZ-tour your thinking cap will have absorbed new ideas for projects like RI. And hey, maybe you'll even find new Alien Love Secrets! :wink:

John

femalefan
Newcomer

Real Illusions part 2 should be followed by a tour

#45 Post by femalefan » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:18 am

Real Illusions part 2 with dynamic and dense music OR an guitar focused instrumental record like "Alien Love Secrets" on steroids – both as soon as possible would be my first answer. Not very helpful? Well, I love Alien Love Secrets as an outstanding piece of heavy guitar music, and I would go for the steroids version any time. With Real Illusions part 1, I needed a little time to let the compositions sink in, simmer within me for some time and then out came a love and understanding much deeper than I feel for ALS. Seeing the music performed live at the Real Illusions Tour was a major eye-opener in this process. If Real Illusions part 2 will be even more dense and complex, the ideal timing may be when it can be performed live on tour soon after the release. Your decision not to tour for a few years might make it a good idea to go for the Alien Love Secrets on steroids first and then focus on Real Illusions part 2 followed by the respective tour. That is, if relasing the ALS on S album without a tour is an option.
See you with ZPZ in Düsseldorf!
femalefan