A Question for You...

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Steve Himself
VIP
VIP

A Question for You...

#1 Post by Steve Himself » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:30 pm

Hey folks.
I'm sitting here preparing for the ZPZ tour and weaving my memory muscles around all the little black dots.
Also tweaking away at the Metropole stuff with a house size pair of tweezers. It will hopefully be out either at the end of this year or the beginning of the next.

My plans after that was to go right to work on Real Illusions part 2 but it will be an intensive project with some pretty dynamic and dense music. Hey, what else is new right? It may take over a year so I was thinking in the mean time I would do an instrumental record that focuses on the guitar, sort of like "Alien Love Secrets" on steroids.

What's your thoughts on this?

Would you like the next installment of Real Illusions or...???

Thanks
s

Vegas_Blues

Re: A Question for You...

#2 Post by Vegas_Blues » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:34 pm

Steve Himself wrote:Hey folks.
......sort of like "Alien Love Secrets" on steroids.

Thanks
s
That sounds like a great idea Steve. I think most of your fans COULD be patient enough to wait for RI: II......but we would certainly appreciate any music you throw at us.......
"Just listen to your heart.....that's what I do" - Napoleon Dynamite :D

frenchfred

#3 Post by frenchfred » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:37 pm

YES YES YES !!! between real illusion 1 and 2 i think it's a very good idea
(I forgot this question at the evo premium )

michelle7

#4 Post by michelle7 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:40 pm

o0o0o

I say go with the flo (geddit) ...

If you wanna do some geetar on steroids, go for it!

Michelle :D

GreenMeanie

#5 Post by GreenMeanie » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:52 pm

Steve Himself wrote: It may take over a year so I was thinking in the mean time I would do an instrumental record that focuses on the guitar, sort of like "Alien Love Secrets" on steroids.

Thanks
s
While I personally am looking forward to RI part 2 the thought of "Alien Love Secrets" on steroids is very exciting. Bad Horsie is a bad ass song and the thought of an album with a song that could be a more intense experience than that gets my vote for sure!!!

See you in Philly!

Joanne and Mariah

-sid-
Newcomer

#6 Post by -sid- » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:54 pm

i think that a alien love secrets style of cd would be a great pause between the RI saga... and it would be a great tension braker to,
but then again i cant wait for the RI 2 to come out and another cd means more time to wait... but anyway, i think you should be were your head is right now, if its in RI 2 or the new "alien love secrets on steroids" idea.
Last edited by -sid- on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sonny sixshooter

#7 Post by sonny sixshooter » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:57 pm

Well, I'll buy whatever you make...

However, as much as I appreciate your entire catalogue and most of your projects (especially The Metropole show! Wuhu!), I have to admit that the one thing that bothers me about RI is its lack of humour. Every Vai record untill this one has been fun. This is only serious. Don't get me wrong, I bought it and I play it, but it is not as close to my heart as some of the others.
I understand this is a personal project and I respect that. If I don't get it, fair enough. But I think the idea of making something guitar oriented would be a great idea.
I recently bought Matthias Eklundh's Freak Guitar: The Road Less Traveled and boy what a record! I can't help playing it all the time. It is of high quality, it is funny, and it is versatile! Why do I mention this? To be honest, I am not quite sure myself. Maybe just to say, that an album like this, or like earlier Vai albums, might provide a not too serious counterpart to RI. Like coming up for air, before you plunge into that deep unknown, yet to be discovered... damn, that sounds corny, but I hope you get the gist of it.

- Sonny

jemgirl

#8 Post by jemgirl » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:05 pm

hi mr.steve,
yeah something in the way like "alien love secrets".
i always found that a cool special freaky album.
good luck on writing steve!!
patricia

resha

#9 Post by resha » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:07 pm

Steve Himself wrote:It may take over a year so I was thinking in the mean time I would do an instrumental record that focuses on the guitar, sort of like "Alien Love Secrets" on steroids
Go for it Steve!
I think it would be a great choice; in the meantime (waiting for the second chapter of RI:R) we will appreciate the first one more and more and a stronger curiosity will grow on us (well at least on me :oops: ).

You surely know more than us how many time a person need to really understand and fully comprehend a record; delaying the release time of the second part will give you the time you need to write new stuff (even if you have said that it's no good for you to have more time to write :wink: ) and go deeper and deeper in the story and for us to completely absorb the first one. If a "new version of Alien Love Secrets" (oh wow!) and a little bit more time can help you in writing and developing your ideas, I think it would be a right choice.

This will exactly be as it has been for the first chapter with "The Boogie Man" and "Under it All"; you gave birth to an awesome song in the little time the release has been retarded, so... If it worked the first time, it will work the second one too :wink:

An then we can always quench our music thirst with a new great instrumental album (and Aching Hunger II dvd too) waiting for the second part of RI:R...

Just go for it! 8)

A sincere thank you Steve (with a big happy smile on my face :P )

Raffaele :D

LedFingers

#10 Post by LedFingers » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:09 pm

Yes, an instrumental guitar album would be great. Tender Surrender is my all time favorite song. Let me ask, does everyone hear the same sort of sexual feeling in this song. Is it just me or is this what an orgasm would sound like as a song?

John

#11 Post by John » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:12 pm

This might be a bit of a corny response. In my opinion, you always come up with your best stuff when you get really selfish and do what you want 100%. What I love the most about your music is it's essence, that Vai-ness that makes it what it is, and it's always there, whatever you're doing. On a personal level, I prefer the deep and orchestrated stuff (a la RI), but if it's not too time consuming, it would be really great.
The bottom line is if you feel really passionate about doing it, then yes. Otherwise, hell no.
I hope you're well.

Santi Rigolizio

#12 Post by Santi Rigolizio » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:23 pm

Hi Steve,

well if you make another album like Alien Love Secrets it would be amazing. I love that album! And it's more guitar from you!

It would be a great entertainment before Real Illusion 2.

Plus more songs to learn for us.

JUST GO FOR IT!

miker

#13 Post by miker » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:29 pm

I really, really, really like Real Illusions I... so, the selfish answer would be Real Illusions II next.

However, I have most all of your CD catalogue and enjoy all of it.

I trust your judgement as a musician and a businessman... so hey, if it is easier to release a gonzo guitar CD between parts I and II (which buys you more time to polish part II and get in shape for its debut)... then hell... GO FOR IT!!! Just make sure you enjoy yourself doing what you do. yah.

You've got a lot of eagerly anticipated bars in the fire right now... DVD's and CD's... and personally... I look forward to all of it.

Good of you to ask though sir. Now... GET BACK TO WORK! j/k

cbr1000f

#14 Post by cbr1000f » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:32 pm

I really would like to see/hear the Firestrings concert. But I assume that this would be another intensive project to get it right on dvd/cd (not to mention the "rights"-thing) so that could put the installment of Real Illusions Part II even further in time which I wouldn't prefer. If you would make an instrumental guitarrecord, I would like to hear some work on your Euphoria EP9 too. Dunno if you can record an Euphoria on steroids though ;-)
I would like a duet album too, each song another guitarplayer duetting with you (electric or acoustic). Really shouldn't be headcutting duels all the way. For instance: a song with Sharon Isbin, etc (loved that concert).
And what about that "Dinner at Ray's"-album?
Well you know, Steve, it's nice to ask but you really should do what you feel like. I'll buy it anyway ;-)
Surprise us!!!!

Virulent

#15 Post by Virulent » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:41 pm

What about a whole album like "Love Secrets" (from PAW) on steroids.. and release it in 5.1!!