Steve Smashing up Guitars onstage!!!?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
so happy

Hey Folks, Something that I've wondered about for a while now ( one for Mikey to pass on maybe!?)
When Mr.Vai did the Sex & Religion tour they played in a suburb near Frankfurt in Germany. In the middle of the gig they launched into one of the Passion & warfare numbers, at about bar 8 Steve stopped the band, Gave an intense Grinning glare to the audience, held up the guitar & said " You know, this is a REALLY good guitar!! but it just keeps going out of tune!!... I know there's a lot of guitarists in the audience tonight, so you'll know what I mean when I say I just need to make a slight adjustment to the neck! It'll just take a second." With that, he whirled around like a crazed demon!, swung the guitar round by the neck above his head with both hands & slammed it down with all his might bang onto the centre front of the drum riser, completely severing the body from the neck!! He then returned to front of stage, held up the guitar with the body dangling down, attached to the neck only by the strings, and said, "There, now it's NEVER going to go out of tune again!!" with this he cast it away as one would fend off a side attack from some drunken idiot & headed for Thomas to get a replacement!!
I suspect from the energy & underlying vibe that there was more to the event than met the eye.
I saw the tour 3 times ( Lucky huh!.lol) Newport in wales, Germany & London in that order ( I was living in Germany but gigging in the UK-mostly - at the time - go figure, life is wierd!!, anyway, was good timing with my travels) And he certainly did NOT repeat the event at the other gigs re some kind of stage act!! As if the show needed it!! Seeing those shows was very akin to being hit in the front of the heart Chakra with a sledgehammer! for want of a better way of putting it!.
I met him twice this year but refrained from asking him about it, it's not cool to remind people of events that may have been 'testing' in my book unless you know them well. Anyway, I'm intruiged about that & putting it up here leaves the option of an answer at the discretion of Mr.Vai!!!

Peace,

Gavin.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

I don't know if there was more to the event other than that when you have a guitar that's constantly going out of tune, it can be a big source of frustration.

Steve smashed a few guitars on the Sex & Religion tour from what I've seen and heard. he also used to regularly smash a number of guitars called "Atitude" and "Lasher" during the Alien Love Secrets/Fire Garden tours.

Peace,

Mikey :)
vai.com
so happy

Hmmm.......... :headbang !

Well If it wasn't for what was going on on other levels at the time I'd be inclined to go with that, but like I said.....option of discretion!!!

You gotta love this life opportunity!!

Peace.

Gavin.

8)
cnc74

so happy wrote:Hey Folks, Something that I've wondered about for a while now ( one for Mikey to pass on maybe!?)
When Mr.Vai did the Sex & Religion tour they played in a suburb near Frankfurt in Germany. In the middle of the gig they launched into one of the Passion & warfare numbers, at about bar 8 Steve stopped the band, Gave an intense Grinning glare to the audience, held up the guitar & said " You know, this is a REALLY good guitar!! but it just keeps going out of tune!!... I know there's a lot of guitarists in the audience tonight, so you'll know what I mean when I say I just need to make a slight adjustment to the neck! It'll just take a second." With that, he whirled around like a crazed demon!, swung the guitar round by the neck above his head with both hands & slammed it down with all his might bang onto the centre front of the drum riser, completely severing the body from the neck!! He then returned to front of stage, held up the guitar with the body dangling down, attached to the neck only by the strings, and said, "There, now it's NEVER going to go out of tune again!!" with this he cast it away as one would fend off a side attack from some drunken idiot & headed for Thomas to get a replacement!!
I suspect from the energy & underlying vibe that there was more to the event than met the eye.
I saw the tour 3 times ( Lucky huh!.lol) Newport in wales, Germany & London in that order ( I was living in Germany but gigging in the UK-mostly - at the time - go figure, life is wierd!!, anyway, was good timing with my travels) And he certainly did NOT repeat the event at the other gigs re some kind of stage act!! As if the show needed it!! Seeing those shows was very akin to being hit in the front of the heart Chakra with a sledgehammer! for want of a better way of putting it!.
I met him twice this year but refrained from asking him about it, it's not cool to remind people of events that may have been 'testing' in my book unless you know them well. Anyway, I'm intruiged about that & putting it up here leaves the option of an answer at the discretion of Mr.Vai!!!

Peace,

Gavin.
Hey Gavin,
Didn't we talk about this in that coffee shop in Greece? :wink:
Peace,
Christin
so happy

We did indeed! Seems to have kept me wondering enough to post. Trust you're keeping well, see you in may!

G.

:peace
endor

man, thats pretty funny, "keeps going out of tune", yeah i had a guitar that wouldnt stay in tune one time, i didnt smash it thoughlol 8) :guitar
prman

C`mon people! It was the nineties and the grunge. That had an effect even on Steve. Kurt Cobain smashed his guitars on regular basis so why wouldn`t Steve? It was cool back then and it was a great display of "rebellion"...
so happy

TRUE...... :evil: :headbang :peace
Vaisnake

It was cool back then and is still cool now!!!!
StoleN GuitaR

Vaisnake wrote:It was cool back then and is still cool now!!!!
I disagree.
I think its cool if its a crap guitar thats worthless.
but for a stunt like.. what Yngwie Malmsteen pulled off in the Denver DVD.
That pissed me off because i thought. "what about all those kids that are saving up thousands of dollars to get a signature malmsteen strat.. or that JEM7V just to see their idol smash a guitar that has such a high price tag..
that is just disgusting and shows a lack of respect for not only the instrument but because most of their signature guitars are so highly overpriced. it's sad that they can't just stun audiences with their playing ability.. :(
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Actually, the guitar Yngwie smashed on the G3 DVD was a fan's guitar that they ASKED Yngwie to smash on stage that night. :) It wasn't a signature Malmsteen Strat.

Steve very very rarely smashes Jems. I would estimate that he's smashed less than half a dozen real premium Jems. Usually "fall guy" guitars are RGs with cheaper DX, RG or 555 necks.

I don't have a problem with smashing guitars on stage if it's in context with the performance. It's just entertainent, folks!

Mikey :)
vai.com
RAI

I agree, Mikey.
Same goes for movies.
Can you imagine all the people that could benefit from all those cars they wreck/ruin/blow up while shooting a movie?
If you get stuck on things like that, you'll just end up going nuts...

It's just entertainment.

Besides, I think it's quite cheesy when the guy sneaks off to the side of the stage (after playing a whole concert using one guitar), and switches to a cheap POS to smash. Someone like Paul Stanley.
He should just stop it. Where's the fun when it's something he does in every show...?
It's better when it's spontaneous and unexpected.
I've seen Steve a handful of times, and have yet to see him do anything violent to any guitar...
And since it's his guitars, whatever he decides to do, I'm ok with it.
so happy

Hey Folks,

OK, seeing as this thread has got into specifics, just a couple of points to clarify re the event in question.
Firstly let me say I agree with Mikey about it being ok to smash guitars on stage, I mean, Hendrix, Pete Tounsend etc. etc. It's all part of the image/energy. That was never my point.

1. The Guitar was a pretty pristine looking 7vwh, and in my book it's ok if he wants to smash one, he designed it for gods sake!! anyway, you can bet it didn't end up in the bin before Thomas had stripped it of any remotely useful parts!

2. And to play devils advocate here & be a little more specific to where I was going, the way he smashed it onto the drum riser was nothing short of a full frontal attack on Abe Laborial jr, certainly from the look on his face it scared the s...t out of him. There was strong word at the time that the relationship between them became quite 'strained' for want of a better way of putting it.
Perhaps an example of what happens when the intense demands expected of one working with such a pointedly focused musician as Mr.Vai are not met. After all, wasn't zappa famous for his 'critical' approach to musicians in his employ, and we are talking of the same 'school' here. Stories of james brown fining his band for mistakes, and worse, abound to name but one. The price of passion...... even in music.

No, this was no act of whirling a guitar around, slamming it to the floor, setting fire to it, hurling it in the air etc. as a part of the show, all of which i've seen Mr.Vai do in mid flow. This was, by lightyears, more of a definitive, pointedly aimed & very exactly executed 'message' and not one for the audience either!...Not that I believe in the devil btw.

Peace.

G.

:twisted:
so happy

BTW, I knew the track in question well & it sounded pretty in tune to me from bar 1 and my ears are pretty sharp as a lifelong pro musician. I'll not mention rhythm at this point.

oopps.....there goes the devil again!!

:P

BTW...Mikey, Are there any videos/recordings from that tour?, it rates pretty far up the top on the vai-ometer from all the gigs/tours i've seen.

( God providing an escape route!!)

:roll:
brentm

Jimi Hendrix once said that...

"The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar."