The official GOOD LUCK AT THE GRAMMY AWARDS thread

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
williebee

Like I've said for years, the music industry has nothing to do with talent & never will. Thank god for musicians like Steve.
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

Yeah, that Porcupine Tree song is very cool. When it comes to relating songs to modern times, I'm gonna go way back on this one, & it's actually one of my fav songs. I listen to a lot of Big Band & traditional jazz, & there's a Cole Porter song called "Anything Goes." I think Tony Bennett made it popular, & his version is great, but Ella Fitzgerald is my all-time fav female vocalist & I prefer her version, but anyway, check out this song, written in 1935!(I think?) The lyrics are just so pertinent to modern times, seems like this song was just written yesterday.
RoadStarII

Then they awarded a lifetime acheivement award to RObert Johnson by Rapping music with metal/rap tribute I thought I was going to throw up. I thought Rock was cool again?! Anyways Im glad U2 Won album of the year other then that annoying ass rapper... Oh welll Damian Marley Won one so thats pretty cool!

.. just watched the thing on last years grammys, and they looked a hell of a lot better then this year's.
cnc74

I thought Madonna was going to open, too, but they had those animation people. The one in the underwear reminded me of Keith Richards. :lol:
Waht was up with Sly? He just walked off the stage in the middle of everything. :? Oh well. It takes all kinds to make the world go round.
Maybe next year, Steve. :wink:
cbr1000f

Gofis wrote: "...Of course that Grammy is biased, everything is, but i am a bit surprised that steve is so much excited about that. of course, steve like any other human wants some affirmation for his work, but i thought that he is one of those who wont seek it at Grammy..."
I do not think that Steve seeks that much affirmation from the Grammy awards. He knows what he stands for and what his music stands for and he knows that he has a great catalogue and that there's still much to come. He probably thinks (and I agree to that) that another Grammy would help to open certain doors. Having a Grammy is still important for his CV to certain people, organisers, promoters he has to deal with to obtain his goals.
Now, what he truly is excited about is his music. And that's really good, it means he really does it for the music and not for the money or to be a popstar. I remember being introduced to Steve for the 2nd time in my life at the Arrow Rock Festival and my friend who introduced me said "this guy saw you with the Metropole orchestra this year" and Steve immediately told me, with the most possible enthusiasm, that he would put one of the "Aching Hunger"-pieces; Lotus Feet on the upcoming album (Real Illusions: Reflections). The excitement in his eyes, his smile, his words, well in his whole behaviour when he told this to me, wow, this proved to me he was still very into it. Like a teenager who wrote his first song and was proud to show it to the whole world.
That's what Steve is really excited about. This love for music. Well, the man IS music.
That said, I hope he won't give up trying to get another Grammy in the future. It will happen, I'm sure of that. And for the "Lotus Feet"-lovers (that means me too!!): it might be nominated next year too (when Steve puts it on the double-cd this year).
Guitarmiester

"the music industry has nothing to do with talent & never will. Thank god for musicians like Steve."

-EXACTLY! Look how many 'flavor' of the month and year there has been in the past years...Some random, crappy band gets noticed for one song, people like it for about a month, then they die off and you never hear of that band again. Too many bands look and sound the same. Every time I (for some strange reason) listen to the radio (I never listen to the radio, always have CD's with me or on, if I'm not playingguitar myself) I'll hear a song and think it's either Green Day or Nickelback...too many bands sound exactly the same. A few power chords (maybe throw in a 3rd if they are feeling really talented, or play 4ths to get that heavy sound) and sing over it...You never hear bands that are played on the radio and tv play solos which shows that they can't play and most of them don't know what they are doing. I was watching Sat. Night Live the other day and they had Green Day play (of course) and the guitarist went to play a short solo...lol! It was so pathetic, it wasn't even really a solo, just unbelievable weak! It's pretty sad...the entire music scene these days. I'm only 18, but I luckily didn't get pulled into liking mainstream crap! You don't even want me to get started on rap...I can go on and on about how pathetic it is! Quick funny side note: I was watching some of the extra footage on the Evergrey 'A Night to Remember' DVD a few weeks ago, there's footage of them touring around Sweden, Europe, and other places...while they are in Europe and Sweden they have real music playing in their tour bus, one part of the footage you can hear Pain of Salvation...then, when they hit the US you hear some random pop bands...one part The Darkness was on the radio, they don't seem to like them at all... sorry for blabbing...

-Sorry you didn't win Vai...someone else mentioned it, too... notice how the categories that really display [the only] talent is so short and they try and get it over with as soon as possible?! Let's get these guys over with and get to what everybody likes and wants to see/hear, some Linkin Park, Nickelback, and some rap...mmmm...now that's what I call music [vol. 83959228000138]!
JasonStolarik

I just wanted to say "FUCK YOU" to the grammy's...Those ass-lickers can lick some serious ass...I really have a way with words, don't I!!!

:twisted:
NatiFable

Well, I'm sure it truly is an honor to get nominated. I feel its great that Satch and Steve get so many nods time after time for their work. That's got to feel amazing.

To bad the voting members don't know what their listening too! haha I'd be like, y'know, Steve WROTE this piece-ALL of it!!! Do you understand? ALL of it. The melodies, the orchestration, everything short of conducting it! Are you taking all of that into consideration? Or are you just quickly filling out the ballot because you recognize <say> the Chemical Brothers?

I was telling my girlfriend that it's funny how the during the Grammy Awards, you have to be a speed reader to see who won the 'real' music awards of the show! haha Here we have some 'fashion' artists that won't be around in a few years <Kayne, to mention one...> and you have to read like crazy to see if an artist like Steve won or not. Who has been around since the early 80s... No flash in the pan there people. Would Steve do something stupid like pull out a card that says "Thank you List"? Of course not, he's be his usual humble self and probably show some heartfelt emotion and let the voters know how much it's touched him.

All in all the show was horrible. Mariah is the female Jimmy Page-able to create such incredible music in the studio but is a 'dud' live. I've seen her numerous times on tv and she has always been bad. Blaming the monitors, the temperature, the weather, anything but herself. Then Christina A comes out and does an amazing job with Herbie Hancock. Jay Z wins an award and that idiot from Linkin Park hogs the acceptance time and doesn't let Jay Z even speak-it's his work, his idea to bring their band in...<I don't like either one but come on, let the person who brought it all together speak about HIS award>.

The sickest thing by far is seeing Kevin Federline walking around 'acting' like he actually belongs there!!! It's bad enough the Britney's of the world even get a shot at such a prize, but to have this dimwit feel he's one of the elite because he's stooping Britney....on my god.

In a perfect world, we'd have such an awards program. We'd have an actual musical big wig telling Britney's people-"Are you kidding me? Please, don't ever call me again, this is a show that honors musicians, stick to Mtv, thanks for nothing." haha

peace and light

Reminds me of a song:

Thanx For Nothin' - Overkill :guitar :headbang
munchocruncho

Everyone knew Les Paul was going to win, and I'm glad he did. The mans 90 years old and still playing.
I just wanted steve to come out and sing with the Sly tribute(He mentioned him in the CBS interview)

Would've been a heck of a lot better than Willie the Pimp! :lol: