'Some kind of monster' type Vai documentary?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.

Would you like to see Steve release a truthful documentary?

Yes, I'm interested in how Steve is inspired and I would like to find out more about the man behind the compositions.
25%
Yes, I'm interested in how Steve is inspired and I would like to find out more about the man behind the compositions.
25%
25%
25%
No, I think some things are better left untold.
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 292
NatiFable

lydian7 wrote:
Jem22 wrote:That would be amazing if he made a documentary!! Oi, but Some Kind of Monster was silly... I also love Metallica but loathed their documentary. They fought throughout the ENTIRE thing!
Y'know, I think a documentory 'Making of' type of dvd of Steve would be really great. Especially now that he's going back into the studio and doing some new stuff. I'm thinking about say 'Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmakers Apocalypse'' that was the behind the scenes to 'Apocalypse Now'.

I've never been a Metallica fan, but a friend brought over 'Some Kind' and it was a really good film. But y'know, I really thought they came off badly. It was weird to see that this giant world conquering machine was actually just an illusion. No wonder alot of Metallica fans hated it. They got the "little man behind the curtain" Oz thing. The fantasy was destroyed.

But that wouldn't be the case with a Vai dvd of the same nature. It would be great to see and hear about everything that goes into a Steve Vai project. This type of dvd would be a perfect marriage to a cd release.

Watch him at home, his philosophy-personal/business/artistic. Interview all these people Steve has worked for, or work for him. Behind the scenes footage of him recording a project. Rehearsing for other projects and balancing those with his own. Show him at Ibanez, working on a new guitar,ect. Even just day to day stuff. Beekeeping, jogging, working out-everyday life and how it affects or inspires his art. Show all those old pictures of Steve growing up as he talks about that part of his life.

I can easily see a number of different chapters to this. But it is also Steve's life and how much he does want to share of that life.

peace and light
acoates

yunuserkaya wrote:YAY!!
I'll have what he's having
nosferatu777

Yay. I agree w/ NatiFable on releasing a dvd w/ cd release. Distributing a DVD of this type on it's own???? My guess is too much $$$ vs return.
lydian7

NatiFable wrote: I've never been a Metallica fan, but a friend brought over 'Some Kind' and it was a really good film. But y'know, I really thought they came off badly. It was weird to see that this giant world conquering machine was actually just an illusion. No wonder alot of Metallica fans hated it. They got the "little man behind the curtain" Oz thing. The fantasy was destroyed.
The thing you need to remember is that no matter how big a band or an artist is, they're still human. Alot of fans delude theirselves into believing that their heroes are invicible, or some kind of god figure, and between the image that they recieve from magazines, shows and CD liner-notes, and the vast void of actually not knowing who they really are, fans make up for this by fabricating a perfect existance for their idols. When fans are confronted with the truth, that they are only human and not perfect in every way, they tend to feel deflated because their dillusions are shattered.

Personally, I love seeing artists in a real working environment, speaking and acting truthfully and not putting up a front for the cameras. 'Reel Satriani' is a dvd that comes to mind, and I really enjoyed the frankness of the dvd. For the first segment I felt Satch was trying to keep up his guitar-god image, probably unintentionally because of the camera intrustion in the studio, but I respected him all the more for being himself and opening up a little as the documentary developed, and I respected Metallica in exactly the same way.

Steve Vai isn't a perfect, Joe Satriani isn't perfect, Metallica aren't perfect, they're just human beings acting imperfectly in the most beautiful way they can.
NatiFable

lydian7 wrote:
NatiFable wrote: I've never been a Metallica fan, but a friend brought over 'Some Kind' and it was a really good film. But y'know, I really thought they came off badly. It was weird to see that this giant world conquering machine was actually just an illusion. No wonder alot of Metallica fans hated it. They got the "little man behind the curtain" Oz thing. The fantasy was destroyed.
The thing you need to remember is that no matter how big a band or an artist is, they're still human. Alot of fans delude theirselves into believing that their heroes are invicible, or some kind of god figure, and between the image that they recieve from magazines, shows and CD liner-notes, and the vast void of actually not knowing who they really are, fans make up for this by fabricating a perfect existance for their idols. When fans are confronted with the truth, that they are only human and not perfect in every way, they tend to feel deflated because their dillusions are shattered.
They created the illusion of 'toughness' and 'badness' not the fans. Come on, anyone here think that Kirk or Lars are 'tough and badass MoFos'? Please. The leather jackets they wore were heavier than they were. The fans just went along believing this image. It's bands that give interviews, release bios, cd liner notes. They have publicists<sp> and managers that create, nuture and maintain these images, not the fans. The fans are the ones that take up the banner, follow and never question it. If people are that easily lead then there ya go...

I have alot of respect for Metallica and where they came from and what they have accomplished. Just don't care for them as artists, as musicians or as a metal band. Sometimes you do have to leave the 'inner-demons' inside and protect your band's reputation and legacy.

peace and light
lydian7

NatiFable wrote: They created the illusion of 'toughness' and 'badness' not the fans.
That may be so, but I was answering a message from someone who said that their illusions of the band were 'shattered', and I was merely stating that it was important for fans to realise the imprefections and humanity of the idols they worship. Music performance is just that, a performance, an act, a masquerade. If people choose to take it literally, then that's their problem.
lucky7

That poll really was a no brainer. I mean hello we are all here because we are obviously Vai fans. Not knocking you though lydian7
Hopefully Vai takes note! 8) :D
Even if the next DVD he releases there is more behind the scenes stuff.
I wasn't too much of a fan of Metallica, but I watched Some Kind of Monster, it wasn't bad. It was funny watching Kirk at home with his dogs following him from room to room, etc, etc.
Any doco or anything like that on Vai or Satriani would be great!!! :D 8)
BobDaNob

I would prefer Vai to do something in exactly like Metallica's 'A Year and a Half in the Life Of' documentary. That was a stellar documentary that showed how everything worked behind the scenes, from recording to printing the cd's, going on tour to interacting with fans. Awesome stuff if you've never seen it.
lydian7

BobDaNob wrote:I would prefer Vai to do something in exactly like Metallica's 'A Year and a Half in the Life Of' documentary. That was a stellar documentary that showed how everything worked behind the scenes, from recording to printing the cd's, going on tour to interacting with fans. Awesome stuff if you've never seen it.
I remember those documentaries, from what I recall they were in two halves. I liked them, but they were totally doctored to make the band look cool. They lacked substance and sincerity, that's why I was interested to see how many people would like to see an honest, bare-bones documentary exploring the man behind the myth. That's what I would be interested in seeing, as I'm sure most of you guys would. :)
guyzif

I agree with lydian7 on most of these points.

I would like to see a 'the real steve vai' documentary. I must admit i havent seen some kind of monster but definatly want too.
mayuka

that would be awsome. I would love to see what he does in the studio, at home, and when he is the record producer. it would be awsome, and to hear everything he says. it should be called "The Words from God"
NatiFable

lydian7 wrote:
NatiFable wrote: They created the illusion of 'toughness' and 'badness' not the fans.
That may be so, but I was answering a message from someone who said that their illusions of the band were 'shattered', and I was merely stating that it was important for fans to realise the imprefections and humanity of the idols they worship. Music performance is just that, a performance, an act, a masquerade. If people choose to take it literally, then that's their problem.
Sorry lydian7, if a performance is an act or a masquerade, then it is a sham and not from the heart. It's not then for the fans. And certainly not for yourself as an artist. I have never come away from a Steve Vai concert and felt he was putting on an 'air'. I disagree, 'Music performance' is expressing yourself with/to the music. If Metallica fans felt disillusioned, then they were getting an act, a masquerade and not something legitamate.

peace and light