'Some kind of monster' type Vai documentary?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.

Would you like to see Steve release a truthful documentary?

Yes, I'm interested in how Steve is inspired and I would like to find out more about the man behind the compositions.
25%
Yes, I'm interested in how Steve is inspired and I would like to find out more about the man behind the compositions.
25%
25%
25%
No, I think some things are better left untold.
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 292
lydian7

Wouldn't it be cool if Steve were to document his next recording in a type of lay-it-all-down-on-the-table type of documentary like Metallica's excellent 'Some kind of monster'? I think there are oodles of fans dying to see what makes Steve Vai tick - the artistic process of each song on an album and what he has to go through spiritually to achieve his artistic expression.

So...who would be interested in this kind of dvd? Yay or nay?
RAI

I'm all for it.
But then again, I do like documentaries...
:)
Vaism

hell yeah
tender_surrender
Newcomer

Thats a major Yay for me!!!
Come on Steve, we'll be laughing with you, not at you...
if6was9

That would be awesome !
Lotus Eater

It's always cool to see the "organic natural side" of our heros. I love documentaries of any kind. They're amazing learning tools. Not so we can go out and immitate others, but more of observing how the mindset and process of creativity has bumps, offsets, and problematic issues. How does a successful musician (or whoever else) deal with their stumbles?
Guitar_freaak

I think this sounds like an awesome idea , in fact , i would love too see that . Infact , the only problems i can see are , that Steve is a very private man and he may not want to invite the whole world to see this very personal side of him . BUT , i would love to see that side of Vai , we hear it in his music so the next best thing is to learn about it . Infact , come to think about it , i really dont know anything at all about steve outside of his music .
brentm

YES!

Just don't be as completely LAME as "Some kind of Monster" -

I'm sure Steve doesn't need alcohol rehab or a psycho therapist to nut an album.

Sorry, I love Metallica, hated the documentary.
resha

It would be great to go deeper than we actually are (regarding Steve himself). YES! :P
pauldlr

You can add me to the yes column :D
Tomsangel

Yep, he should definitely go for it!
GuitarMofo23

Just go for it!
Jem22

That would be amazing if he made a documentary!! Oi, but Some Kind of Monster was silly... I also love Metallica but loathed their documentary. They fought throughout the ENTIRE thing! By the end I wanted to rip my hair out. Oh, but seeing what Vai does and why would be such a treat for all Vai fans!
lydian7

Jem22 wrote:That would be amazing if he made a documentary!! Oi, but Some Kind of Monster was silly... I also love Metallica but loathed their documentary. They fought throughout the ENTIRE thing!
That was the whole point though. I thought it was interesting to see how two egos (i.e. Lars and Hetfield) balance each other out to create an intense collection of material. Has anyone seen the film I Heart Huckabees? Lars is the baby feeding off the tete, and Hetfield is his 'natural' mother feeding him (If you've seen the film you'll understand what on blabbering on about ;)). I just thought it was an honest, emotional portrayal of one of the biggest bands in the world on the brink of collapse. The pace and structure of the documentary was brilliant.
yunuserkaya

YAY!!