The Zappa Plays Zappa tour

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
cbr1000f

Posted by Bryan Beller:
ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA TOUR REHEARSAL REPORT: In late April, Keneally and I got the chance to attend a private rehearsal for the upcoming "Zappa Plays Zappa" tour. We watched the core seven-piece band (two guitars, melodic percussion, keys/horn, keys/horn/vocals, bass, drums) crank through classic Zappa material from a variety of eras and bands, and they sounded great doing it. I'm not going to spoil the repertoire, but I can tell you that there's stuff on the set list that hasn't been played live by a Zappa band in over 25 years, and it's good stuff. Additional fun was had by watching Joe Travers sing most of the songs himself, since Napoleon Murphy Brock wasn't there. (I'm telling you, he could do it live if necessary and it would sound good!) The bassist, who I met for the first time, is named Pete Griffin, and he's a 26-year-old rockin' mofo Zappa-freak bassist (in all honesty, he's into Zappa at the Keneally/Travers level) who I instruct you all to love unconditionally. But he's just a part of what's going on in this band, and it's very much worth checking out. I'm jealous of those in Amsterdam for the opening show - having been to Holland several times, and having experienced the hotbed of Zappa fandom over there, that is going to be some scene for a first show of the tour. FYI, I'll be at the Anaheim show on June 22.
R1FSR

Mike Keneally and Brian Beller... :shock:
The ZPZ gig sounds better every time i read about it ...hope those 2 will be on the Uk dates :D
Little_Alligator

Does that mean they were just there to watch the rehersals or are they going to be in the show too...oh I hope it's the latter :D
EyE

Tonight is the night!! Opening night of the Zappa Plays Zappa Tour!!! I'm so excited about the show!! Leaving straight from work. Hope to be there around 7!! See y'all there!! :wink:
litlgrnman

EyE wrote:Tonight is the night!! Opening night of the Zappa Plays Zappa Tour!!! I'm so excited about the show!! Leaving straight from work. Hope to be there around 7!! See y'all there!! :wink:
You lucky dog! Have a blast! I can't wait to hear about it!!!
cbr1000f

So I guess Steve's place is indeed the left side of the stage (for the audience).
bike

Keneally and Beller only watched a rehearsal, they won't perform, which is sad. Actually, Bryan Beller was asked to join the band but coudn't make it somehow.
I am really looking forward to Düsseldorf, please keep us informed how it was tonight in Amsterdam!
Jippy

I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but I certainly hope that one of these gigs gets filmed or at least recorded for a future DVD and/or CD release. I'd probably buy every show from the damn tour if they did it ala Pearl Jam.
R1FSR

Im gutted
Terry bozzio WONT be at the following shows

Thu Jun 1 Manchester, UNITED KINGDOM Manchester Apollo
Fri Jun 2 London, UNITED KINGDOM Royal Albert Hall
Sun Jun 4 Dublin, IRELAND Vicar Street
Mon Jun 5 Paris, FRANCE Zenith
Wed Jun 7 Athens, GREECE Lycabettus Hill Theater
Fri Jun 9 Reykjavik, ICELAND Laugardalsholl

TERRY BOZZIO W/
AMSTERDAM PERCUSSION GROUP

6/01/06 PHILHARMONIE HAARLEM, rehearsals Holland
6/02/06 PHILHARMONIE HAARLEM Holland
6/03/06 Tivoli Utrecht Holland
6/6/06 BOERDERIJ ZOETERMEER Holland
6/8/06 013 Tilburg Holland
Trendmonger

R1FSR wrote:Im gutted
Terry bozzio WONT be at the following shows

Thu Jun 1 Manchester, UNITED KINGDOM Manchester Apollo
Fri Jun 2 London, UNITED KINGDOM Royal Albert Hall
Sun Jun 4 Dublin, IRELAND Vicar Street
Mon Jun 5 Paris, FRANCE Zenith
Wed Jun 7 Athens, GREECE Lycabettus Hill Theater
Fri Jun 9 Reykjavik, ICELAND Laugardalsholl

TERRY BOZZIO W/
AMSTERDAM PERCUSSION GROUP

6/01/06 PHILHARMONIE HAARLEM, rehearsals Holland
6/02/06 PHILHARMONIE HAARLEM Holland
6/03/06 Tivoli Utrecht Holland
6/6/06 BOERDERIJ ZOETERMEER Holland
6/8/06 013 Tilburg Holland
Wherever you get your information from is misleading you and others.
Please anyone who thinks that Terry Bozzio will not be at a given ZPZ_TDF show they are attending to please remember this:

TERRY BOZZIO IS SCHEDULED TO PERFORM AT ALL ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA TOUR DE FRANK DATES
R1FSR

Think you better let him know then because i got from His own site :lol:

hahaha
after checking his site again the dates have now been altered since my first post.

TERRY BOZZIO WILL BE PLAYING THE UK TOUR AFTER ALL
Gandalph915
Newcomer

Now i really don't know what to think. I didn't find any venue-change-notices on czech sites... No updates at all + i don't know if they'll let me in because i have tickets to the sazka arena. And now i can't even find that note on vai.com :-) I guess i'll have to write an email to that agency...
...oh and sorry for my english
slater

From the ZPZ reviews that have come in so far, I am slightly surprised at the set list. It appears to be mostly 70's Zappa, with a few from the 60's. Don't get me wrong, the setlist represents some of FZ's finest work so I am not complaining.

But I would have thought some of the 80's material might have made it's way into the show. There's some fine material there as well. But it's still early in the tour, they may pull out a few.

My only complaint is I probably won't get to see a show. :cry:
KarenO

R1FSR wrote:Im gutted as i had to cancel my trip to Amsterdam to see the ZPZ gig..although i got front row seats for the Manchester show UK.
I might have spare one as well :wink:
Gees! That HAD to hurt! I don't know what I'd do if I had to cancel my tickets.

Only 29 days til House of Blues Anaheim! Can't wait! Only 30 days til Wiltern in LA!!!!!

I've always wished that time would slow down but this is ridiculous! lol
KarenO

Gandalph915 wrote:Now i really don't know what to think. I didn't find any venue-change-notices on czech sites... No updates at all + i don't know if they'll let me in because i have tickets to the sazka arena. And now i can't even find that note on vai.com :-) I guess i'll have to write an email to that agency...
...oh and sorry for my english
No need to apologize for your english. It was grammatically correct and you wrote more accurately than alot of Americans do.....lol