The Zappa Plays Zappa tour

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
KarenO

Hello all. I am new to this board so I hope I don't say something wrong and get banned right off the get! So many rules.........

I have a question if anyone can answer it. I just purchased my tickets for the House Of Blues in Anaheim for June and I noticed at the bottom of the tour dates listing on this website it says that Steve is playing on the Zappa on Zappa tour and will only be performing a portion of the show. Does that mean that the show in Anaheim Steve will only be performing part of it? I'm not really clear on what it means....and I just made myself sound like a dumb idiot didn't I?

What I'm trying to get at is I was planning on buying tickets to the gig at the Wiltern theater in LA also but I won't do it if Steve's performance is minimal. Please let me know......thank you
Trendmonger

KarenO wrote:Hello all. I am new to this board so I hope I don't say something wrong and get banned right off the get! So many rules.........

I have a question if anyone can answer it. I just purchased my tickets for the House Of Blues in Anaheim for June and I noticed at the bottom of the tour dates listing on this website it says that Steve is playing on the Zappa on Zappa tour and will only be performing a portion of the show. Does that mean that the show in Anaheim Steve will only be performing part of it? I'm not really clear on what it means....and I just made myself sound like a dumb idiot didn't I?

What I'm trying to get at is I was planning on buying tickets to the gig at the Wiltern theater in LA also but I won't do it if Steve's performance is minimal. Please let me know......thank you
The Operative Keyword Minimal could hardly justify as an answer to any measuring tool known to man when it comes to the impact of Steve Vai's performance at Zappa Plays Zappa.

I had seen Steve Vai perform with Frank Zappa many times. Each performance rings infinitely as vibrations of the universe. While each performance had left an artistic imprint on everything that is, it's the ones I have missed with my own eyes and ears that I have regreted because I was too busy to drive another 300 miles.

Take a chance. Steve is a busy guy and his ability to schedule appearances for future installments, beyond this tour of Zappa Plays Zappa Tour De Frank could be another long wait.

As if there is something better to do on that particular Friday Night In L.A.

Hope to see you at The Wiltern, I'm flying in from NYC to see these same two shows. It's that good.

http://www.zappa.com/zpz/index.html
KarenO

Trendmonger,

Thanks so much for the input. I'm what you'd call a newbie. Just got turned on to Steve from friends on another rock website. Wasn't a Zappa fan (was too young then) so I missed out. I am really excited about this! I already have the tickets for the Anaheim show and was just checking out the Wiltern show. The seats in the front, according to the Wiltern Theater website said they were $290.00 but when I went through ticketmaster it said all front of the ground floor was standing room with seating in the back. Which is right? I can't really afford $290.00 a ticket but if I go through ticketmaster there only 47.50 which I'll gladly hand over.....oh yeah and thanks for putting me in my place about the minimal comment lol
litlgrnman

KarenO wrote:The seats in the front, according to the Wiltern Theater website said they were $290.00 but when I went through ticketmaster it said all front of the ground floor was standing room with seating in the back. Which is right? I can't really afford $290.00 a ticket but if I go through ticketmaster there only 47.50 which I'll gladly hand over.....oh yeah and thanks for putting me in my place about the minimal comment lol
Hi Karen! Welcome to the vai.com forum! I think you'll enjoy your time here.

As far as the seating arrangement at The Wiltern is concerened...the pit area right in front of the stage is general admission. The rest of the venue is reserved seating. I'm pretty sure the GA portion is sold out so you would have to consider alternatives to Ticketmaster (i.e. broker...ebay...) to round up a ducat in that section. To see you can go here:

http://www.thewiltern.com/venue.aspx#

If you select "Partially Reserved Floor" you will see how the Zappa show is set up. I looked on Ticketmaster just now and a search for 2 best available tickets turned up row R on the main floor. I'm not sure how many songs Steve will be contributing on but I have no doubt that the entire show will be mindblowing. Much in the same way you discovered Steve, I'm certain you'll discover some other amazing new artists at the show. I'm so sure of this I'm packin' my bags and takin a western vacation all the way from Nebraska! It's gonna be a fun Friday night!!! Hope to see you there!
zappahead

welcome karen, my best input is, u need to get into zappa immediately, lol. especially the vai years, you are what you is, tinsel town rebellion, the man from utopia, and so on... you won't be disappointed.
8)
KarenO

Thanks alot you guys. You really made me feel welcome! I frequent another rock website and was basically told that I had a p##s poor Cd collection and that I needed to seriously start listening to some good stuff. So once I clicked on to Devin Townsend (love his stuff...all except for that Strapping Young Lad "Alien") oops...not supposed to bash here. Sorry Anyway from Devin someone told me to check out Sex & Religion from there got the Ultra Zone and today I picked up The Fire Garden. Yep the guy is awesome. I'm so glad someone told me about his music. A seriously new fan here.....I think I'm gonna stick around awhile.

Ya'll convinced me I have to get the Wiltern tickets too. I don't want the general admission cause I don't want to stand for that long....lazy kind of..so yeah I'll see you guys in Anaheim and LA. If you won't think I'm some kind of weirdo maybe we could all meet just to say hi at the concert.

peace i'm out

karen
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Hi Karen,

Steve is performing with the ZPZ band for a multi-song set. He won't be on stage for the whole show. Neither will Terry Bozzio or Napoleon Murphy Brock.. but you'll really dig the set Steve plays - and will probably discover a bunch of other music that will appeal to you too!

Peace,

Mikey :)
vai.com
R1FSR

Hi Mikey
so Im guessing you know the full set list that Steve will be playing ? :wink:
no clues ?..or is it going to be a suprise :D
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

A surprise... :)
KarenO

Thanks Mikey and everyone for making me feel so welcome here. At your suggestion I got tickets for both shows. I am really excited and I know my brother is going to be mad as heck! (He was a huge Zappa fan and never taught me anything about Zappa or Vai's music. So serves him right cause I'm not taking him with me!!) Hope to run across a few of you guys at the shows in June. I haven't been this excited about a concert since.........uh.......yeah well I guess I'll have to think on that.

Mikey,

you gonna be at those shows?
vaigirly
Newcomer

hello i´m going to see steve on the 22. in berlin are there other fans frome the board there? :D
zappahead

i know this is a dumb question, but i might as well ask it.

mikey, do you know if any synclavier work will be included on the zpz tour??? zappas synclavier compositions is my favorite music in the world!!
Gandalph915
Newcomer

hmm, venue changed for the show in czech republic...t-mobile arena = bad :-)
i've been there a few times [20? :-)] and it has really bad acoustic ..but we'll see.
Saggitarius
Newcomer

Umm... here: at billetlugen.dk says that the show in Copenhagen (17. maj) has been moved to 13. november but it doesn't says anything about it on vai.com. Is this true? Wtf? It's like 6 months difference. How can you do this to me?[/url]
Claus P

Saggitarius wrote:Umm... here: at billetlugen.dk says that the show in Copenhagen (17. maj) has been moved to 13. november but it doesn't says anything about it on vai.com. Is this true? Wtf? It's like 6 months difference. How can you do this to me?[/url]
Hey there - no problem Saggitarius. The 13th of Nov 2005 was the date that they planned to play but they posponed it to the 17 of May 2006. I'll be there as well - 4th row center :D :D :D