~A tribute to Vai~

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
strat167

Like the name states, this is a tribute to vai... from me.... i just want to express a few points.

As many people that i've notted on this forum, i see Vai as a legendary gutiar player. "He would've been burned as a witch..." (favourednations.com)... thats an understatement... not only does his talent exceed anything ive seen or heard... his impact on MY life is beyond anything i could've ever imagined.

Recently (about a year and a half total) i have been fairly depressed, and as I normally do, i turned to guitar... but unlike my normal routine of picking up my guitar and jamming out my blues for as long as i need to until ive reached a happier frame of mind, I popped in some Vai.. i watched videos... and just let the music lift me out of my problems.. elate me to 'euphoria.' Something that i've been seraching for, sicne grade 6 (i am currently 15 and in grade 10). His music not only impacted my life emotionally, but intellectualy as well.

Believe it or not, i have notted a sufficient increase in my intellect (not in terms of intellegence, but in terms of knowledge/logic/mental capacities, etc.) since ive listened to Vai. I found that his music represented everything i couldn't express... and when i listened, it unlocked the depths of my mind... it showed me who i was... and allowed myself to exceed what i thought possible in terms of mental boundaries.

For the short 3 years that ive been listening to Vai, my life has been nothing but musical euphoria (no pun intended). I have been able to express my emotions through the songs that i listen to, and learned ways to express more emotion on my guitar. Tears have been shed on my guitar's neck... and when i read about EVO, i read the words that expressed my sentiments towards my gutiar. Fire and I have been one for years... but never have i been able to express these emotions. Vai's EVO write up, had some of the only words that have made perfect sense to me in a long time.

Vai's music has re defined not only the musical world, but my life. In my deepest moments of sorrow, pain, loss, remorse, hatred, depression, grief, glee, or whatever it may have been, his music has been there like a cloud, for me to fall on, and feel but the soft patting of each perfect note plucked. I can't imagine where i'd be today if it werent for his music.

Vai's music has guided me through difficult times in my life, and made the complex seem so simple. Without the works of Vai (thanks should also be sent out to the Satch man for teaching this legend) the world wouldn't be the same... nor would i be where I am today.

Currently i am working out a few kinks with my school so that i may perform "Lotus Feet" with the school Select band... i hope to record this, so that i may post it here....

Many thanks to Vai from a very loyal fan, who you've affected in so many ways (including religious.. but i guess i wont get into that tonight)

Jacob MacKinnon.
Shamrocks

what a nice and well written post. :)
alot of us can empathise with you on those points.
Good luck with getting to play Lotus Feet, when you do, please try and record it!
take it easy :)
Olivia

That's the power of music for ya!... it's incredible what it can do to your spirit... I wish you peace...
ginsu777

The beauty of Vai is that great feeling never ends. It's not like drink or drugs which are lies, and just wear off and make you feel worse. Vai's music is there FOREVER and just to prove it, I am 35, and when I read your post, i was RIGHT WITH YOU. I have been a vai fan and supporter since the early 80's.

In many ways, Vai saved my life, I have stated this before. Of course he inspired my playing, but I will never be a guitar wizard like Himself. However, using the seed of hope that he plants in us to grow our own rich lives is the FINEST tribute we could ever give him.

If Steve would (could) show up, I would invite him to every graduation, Sacrament, and honor I ever earned. Like family, he's part of it all.
Abhishek

I have to see vais photo at least once to start my day.....he has come so close to me via music that he feels like family to me. 8)

All the best on lotus feet jacob! :)
Seraphim

Hi Jacob!

I know what you mean with "increase mental capacities..." Really!!! Not only with Vai music but also with a person that "saves" my life!!! But after meet Stevie himself, my life changed a lot!!! What you wrote here, is something that I never forget!!!
Good luck in your life
Seraphim
strat167

well it's a good thing to see that im not the only crazy one.. lol.

Something that I ment to say last night, but beceause i had school the next day (today) i had to head off to bed. which is:

Despite all criticism, from family, friends, and other (dont really know what that classes but whatever) I never stopped listening. I've had my brother come into my room, turn on my computer and delete all my Vai files... he seems to hate Vai with a passion (and claims he has no musical talent...). My parents (dad and step mother) dont aprove of his music either, and when they here songs of his that they like, such as Brandos Costumes, they ask me who is playing it. The instant they here that it's Vai, the reaction is "Well it isnt that good." My mother is suportive of choices, but my father and my step mother deteste them. I have had people insult me for listening to music that a) isnt popular and b) doesnt normally have lyrics. When i bought my P&W t-shirt at his concert last april 2nd in toronto (which is one of the most, if not the most, memorable 2 and a half hours of my life), i took major criticism for wearing it, and was actually threatened for having it (teens can be such asses when they're beyond ignorance). Despite all forms of criticism, all the times that my brother, cousin, etc, have done stuff to try and make me stop playing Vai, and listening to Vai, i have found strenght in what they hate, and have continued to listen to the music that has, in short, saved my life.

Alot like Abhishek said, i can't start my day without listening to a Vai cd.

However, my dad supports my want to play Lotus Feet with the school band... but then again, that is orchestral, so its different then what they hate.

Anyways, i have to go write a 10 page essay for tomorrow... later

Jacob.
S.V_is_god88

finally!!!!, everyone thinks im crazy when i tell people music can effect u like that. I know wot u mean though, im relitivly new to steve's music and i dont know how i would have pictured my life without him. Ive changed so much since i started i.e. becoming a vegitarian, practicing guitar non stop and my religous views have changed. I wanna say thank u Mr. Vai for all u have done 4 me and us.

Btw, sorry but im half way there on the Lotus idea iv know all of it im just wait ing for the orchestra 2 learn it. We're playing at the end of year service - cant wait lol

CHRIS
Seraphim

Geee, Jacob;

It's sad to hear that. But remember "Life his good". You can only fight that hate... with LOVE!!!
All the best,
Seraphim
RAR!

strat167 wrote:well it's a good thing to see that im not the only crazy one.. lol.

Something that I ment to say last night, but beceause i had school the next day (today) i had to head off to bed. which is:

Despite all criticism, from family, friends, and other (dont really know what that classes but whatever) I never stopped listening. I've had my brother come into my room, turn on my computer and delete all my Vai files... he seems to hate Vai with a passion (and claims he has no musical talent...). My parents (dad and step mother) dont aprove of his music either, and when they here songs of his that they like, such as Brandos Costumes, they ask me who is playing it. The instant they here that it's Vai, the reaction is "Well it isnt that good." My mother is suportive of choices, but my father and my step mother deteste them. I have had people insult me for listening to music that a) isnt popular and b) doesnt normally have lyrics. When i bought my P&W t-shirt at his concert last april 2nd in toronto (which is one of the most, if not the most, memorable 2 and a half hours of my life), i took major criticism for wearing it, and was actually threatened for having it (teens can be such asses when they're beyond ignorance). Despite all forms of criticism, all the times that my brother, cousin, etc, have done stuff to try and make me stop playing Vai, and listening to Vai, i have found strenght in what they hate, and have continued to listen to the music that has, in short, saved my life.

However, my dad supports my want to play Lotus Feet with the school band... but then again, that is orchestral, so its different then what they hate.

Jacob.
Oh my god. Your family is insane!
If your brother was my brother, I probably would have stabbed him the the gut with a fork. For him to delete your files is intolerable, you gotta confront him about it, talk to him. . or just punch him in the nose. Either way, do something about that! Just to make sure that he wont ever do anything that stupid again.

Those teen years are rough man. Just keep on hangin on, and keep practicing your guitar. Thats what got me though. I was always big for my age so I never got picked on. Keep on wearing that passion and warfare shirt man, and to hell with what anyone thinks/says about it. I want a passion and warfare shirt now. Its just their fault that they have bad taste in music. (goes for your family too)

If you want inspiration, get the Live in Astoria DVD. Its incredible. ;)

Just trust in yourself to be an individual, and dont be afraid to sock somebody in the nose if they need it. :)

You remind me a bit of myself in my younger days. :)

(and tell that step-mom to shut up and make you a ****ing ham sandwich! :lol: )
General Zod

Dude- very cool. I'm the same age and started listening to Vai in March. Actually, I had only listened to a few of his songs before going to the Atlanta concert. Best concert ever. I would kill to play Lotus Feet live at my school, but A. I'm not good enought to play the solo and B. I've only figured out about the first minute and don't have a Fernandes Sustainer. :wink:
strat167

RAR! wrote:
strat167 wrote:well it's a good thing to see that im not the only crazy one.. lol.

Jacob.
Oh my god. Your family is insane!
If your brother was my brother, I probably would have stabbed him the the gut with a fork. For him to delete your files is intolerable, you gotta confront him about it, talk to him. . or just punch him in the nose. Either way, do something about that! Just to make sure that he wont ever do anything that stupid again.

Those teen years are rough man. Just keep on hangin on, and keep practicing your guitar. Thats what got me though. I was always big for my age so I never got picked on. Keep on wearing that passion and warfare shirt man, and to hell with what anyone thinks/says about it. I want a passion and warfare shirt now. Its just their fault that they have bad taste in music. (goes for your family too)

If you want inspiration, get the Live in Astoria DVD. Its incredible. ;)

Just trust in yourself to be an individual, and dont be afraid to sock somebody in the nose if they need it. :)

You remind me a bit of myself in my younger days. :)

(and tell that step-mom to shut up and make you a ****ing ham sandwich! :lol: )
thanks man. Unfortuanetly, ive tried everything with my bro, he's just an all around asshole... and for the school and P&W shirt: I still wear it, and when it's cold i take the sweat shirt off just to say "Fuck what you think," to everyone. I can work through discrimination, becuase its been like that since grade 7 (which is when i got into Vai), its just when they take it to verbal abuse, thats just a line crossed. I know martial arts, but i wouldnt dare hit someone in my school. Although i live in a gentle sub-urb (not sure i spelt that right), if i were to hit one person A) everyone would hate me, and b) id wind up dead on the side of the road with a bullet in my head..

Thanks for the help
Jacob MacKinnon.
jemke

Hi Jacob,
I fully understand your post. When I was young, around 16-17 years, I started to get a strange feeling of loneliness. It was like I was not a participant in real life but a small observer, if you know what I mean.

At this age I discovered Vai his music. His music offered me a medium to express myself and and most important they gave me the feeling of being appreciated.

When Listening to Vai, I was no longer observer but a real participant, until the record was played or my string broke. His music was for me mental therapy, like a shrink.

This resulted in a deep passion for Vai his music and a lot of practicing guitar.

The music of Vai was becoming the reference for me in the quest of new music. Not only in the way of genre but in a way of emotion and musicality. His music opened my mind, ears and soul.
I discovered Zappa, Jazz, Classical music...REAL music, besides all the radio stuff.
Although all this music sounded different, the honesty and integrity of it touched me and healed me in some sort of a way.

Nowdays, 10 years later, I am as happy as I can be, I have a sweet girlfriend, recently we bought a house, I have a good job and a pair of great guitars and a cool band!

I still have a portion of the 'stranger' feeling in me but thanks to music I can manage it and have a more colourfull vision.
lotus_girl

nice :-)
firebird
Newcomer

Hi Jacob,
Your family can delete your files ( :( :( :( ), but can't delete "files" from your heart and stop you from feeling Vai's music.
You're a rich man - you understand music, you feel musical euphoria - it's a treasure, that can't be taken away.
Your first post - A tribute to Vai - is verry nice!
Good luck with Lotus Feet!