7 string guitar

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
fade2black_81
Newcomer

I am getting more and more intrested in a seven string guitar, and i know steve vai plays one. I was just wondering if you guys could tell me some of the songs he uses it on. and also does he tune his BEADGBE. im pretty sure he does but someone at my guitar shop said he tunes the low 7th string to something else besides a B. Also i notice most of the pics i see him in hes using a six string has he stopped using a seventh string for his newer stuff.
shader

His 7 strings are indeed BEADGBE

I honestly can't think of any Vai song where he really is using that low B string - I know that FTLOG was recorded on a Universe, but only 1 bar uses the low B string, and he plays it live with Evo now anyways

I think he uses a Uni on one of the Alien Love Secrets tracks on DVD, not sure which one though
shader

His 7 strings are indeed BEADGBE

I honestly can't think of any Vai song where he really is using that low B string - I know that FTLOG was recorded on a Universe, but only 1 bar uses the low B string, and he plays it live with Evo now anyways

I think he uses a Uni on one of the Alien Love Secrets tracks on DVD, not sure which one though
playnoevil777

Steve hasn't really played a 7 much for 15 years lol.He does occationally use them,but the current 7 he uses the most(I think)is a 26 fret barritone,that he tunes to drop G :shock: .As far as him using the 7th string most will tell you that outside of I believe the audience is listening,Steve has NEVER used the 7th string,and when he did it was the 5th fret,so you may want to check out KoRn or Andy Martin(who i think records some stuff with a uv777).Steve mostly uses what I consider one of,if not the best guitar out there right now,the jem7v.I say that in all honesty,that the jem7v is THE best guitar I've ever played,but you may hate it,it's all about personal prefrence in this world.
Moderator777

Ya Yo Gakk, Oooo, Mysterious Murder of Christian Tiera's Lover, For the Love of God (Tabbed on one note, I think) just to name a couple off the top of my head. I believe Steve has a 7-string in his studio with a drop-A.

--------------
Is kwakwhá,

Moderator777
www.vai.com
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Here's Steve recording the new album. This Universe is used on a number of the tracks.

The Universe was also used on Slip of the Tongue, though where the low B is actually used, I'm not sure.

Steve does also have a baritone universe, as playnoevil777 pointed out.

You can find a picture of it here: http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar117.html
Peace,

Mikey
vai.com
Knightmeir

Oh that baritone UV is a beautiful thing....

<drool>
atifman

what about The Animal? does steve use one there? the rhythm sounds pretty low.
markmcg

I also believe:

Liberty
The Riddle

were recorded with a 7-string. The Animal's main riff was recorded with a harmonizer supplying a pitch a 5th below the fretted notes.

Cheers
Mark.
Dan

shader wrote:I know that FTLOG was recorded on a Universe, but only 1 bar uses the low B string, and he plays it live with Evo now anyways
At what part of the song?
shader

No idea, that's just what I read... I'm still working on transcribing and haven't "cheated" yet with tabs