Sex and Religion

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
lotus_girl

sex and religion is my favorite...
RAI

Thereasonulive wrote:...He curled up into a ball on the floor and said "what have I done?" What was that about?

What was all that screaming about and going "its a boy! Yay!" Did Steve record a pregnancy (delivery) or something?
Upon seeing his performance, Steve (I guess) finally realized that the direction (music and appearance) he had taken with S&R was not what he had originally envisioned.

As for the lovely sounds of a woman in labor, I believe that is actually Pia giving birth. We all know how Steve is with recording anything within reach of a microphone....

:wink:
Trendmonger

Rakuku wrote:He lost the 'Zappa' crowd after releasing it because they felt he was trying to do the typical rock-band thing.
Rakuku

I have to politely disagree with you.

I was there, as a life long Zappa fan,enjoying the Sex and Religion Album and Tour with the utmost pleasure and pain.

IMHO The Album was far less of a Rock Band Effort and more of a Steve Vai Concept Album, in what seemed was extremely talented hired musicians working out Steve's plan.

This is not a negative coment, it is just when you look at the creative elements of the musicians on that album, you get the feeling this was very much Steve steering the ship on that project.

I happen to like the Sex and Religion album very much.

I would also enjoy these musicians having another opportunity to work together where those musicians could develop another project collectively, the way a Miles Davis album or series of shows developed the music.

The Sex and Religion Tour

I think everyone was dissapointed that Terry Bozzio & T.M. Stevens dropped out of the tour. And it's not that the fill in drummer or bass player Scott Thunes did not perform with admired results, for they did a swell job.

The highlight of the Sex & Religion Tour,,,,,,,,,,,

For me, Steve Vai's performance of Ashes To Ashes is the defining moment of The Spirit Of Frank Zappa being at Peace.

I never cried so hard in my life as when Steve Played Ashes To Ashes
at The Academy in NYC.

While Ashes To Ashes remains an unreleased Steve Vai track it is forever burned into my soul.

now that's True Religion

Steve Vai - Ashes To Ashes
evolutionmb

[snip - sorry, that's copyright material - Mod777]

Enjoy fellas'
EyE

Remember seeing a vid of the S&R-tour live in NY '93. Liked how he played Call It Sleep.
litlgrnman

EyE wrote:Remember seeing a vid of the S&R-tour live in NY '93. Liked how he played Call It Sleep.
I'm SO jealous! Not only did you get to see most of S&R performed but you got a full Call It Sleep too???? And SISTERS????? Please oh please release some video of this Steve!!
Ginner_321

Sex and Religion is near the bottom of my most favourite Vai albums, but I still absolutely love the album. In my dreams with you, is my personal favourite of the album, along with Touching Tongues - brilliants songs!

And I agree what was said before, it really shows Steve's divercity and I will definitely continue to listen to it.

Cheers,
yunuserkaya

my father is truly religious and his comments are soo funny about the album and he really gets pissed at the name "Sex and Religion" ahha... in his dirty black hole:P
R1FSR

Heres a set list that i have from the sex & Religion Tour.

Earth dwellers return
here & now
Greasy kids stuff
Sex & Religion
the animal
touching tongues
Thunder kiss '65
dirty black hole
drum solo
State of grace
survive
Ashes to Ashes
Miss A label ??
still my bleeding heart
I would love to
in my dreams with you
call it sleep
down deep into the Pain
pig
For the love of god
liberty
attitude song
zappa tribute
zoot allures
ms pinky
sisters
answers

Awesome memories :wink:
matsimpson

Erm, sorry if this seems out of place, i just didnt really want to open another s+r thread. IN the album booklet thing, right underneath all the thanks and everything, there is a quote, and underneath that there is a little drawing. Does anyone know what it means? It seems to have the little b "flat" sign.
resha

Are you talking about the sign under the name Gabriel?

I've always thought it was Aramaic... but I don't have any clues about it :oops:

I've got another (silly) question: on the page where there's the big Buddhist Monk's drawing there are some lines (bottom side, right angle) which I can't translate...

"[...] The aspects of life and death meld before His eyes [...]"

What does the word meld mean?
I can't find it anywhere; I think it's a phrasal verb -meld before- but I can't understand it nor find it in the dictionary :oops:

I'm such an idiot :(

Sorry for the stupid question and thanks in advance to anyone that will answer :P
matsimpson

resha wrote:Are you talking about the sign under the name Gabriel?

I've always thought it was Aramaic... but I don't have any clues about it :oops:
Yeah that thing :)

resha wrote:I've got another (silly) question: on the page where there's the big Buddhist Monk's drawing there are some lines (bottom side, right angle) which I can't translate...

"[...] The aspects of life and death meld before His eyes [...]"

What does the word meld mean?
I can't find it anywhere; I think it's a phrasal verb -meld before- but I can't understand it nor find it in the dictionary :oops:

I'm such an idiot :(

Sorry for the stupid question and thanks in advance to anyone that will answer :P
Meld is to...kinda...well....erm.... okay, so i come from the original country to speak this language and i dont know what meld means. Help!
RAI

meld 2 (mld)
v. meld·ed, meld·ing, melds
v.tr.
To cause to merge: "a professional position that seemed to meld all his training" Art Jahnke.
v.intr.
To become merged.
n.
A blend or merger: "a meld of diverse ethnic stocks" Kenneth L. Woodward.
resha

RAI wrote:meld 2 (mld)
v. meld·ed, meld·ing, melds
v.tr.
To cause to merge: "a professional position that seemed to meld all his training" Art Jahnke.
v.intr.
To become merged.
n.
A blend or merger: "a meld of diverse ethnic stocks" Kenneth L. Woodward.
Thanks RAI!

:P Resha
another virtuoso

I'd would like S&R, however, when the man singing opens his mouth i can't help but immediately smash my hand into the STOP button on my cd player.

I would have liked to seen Steve sing more, I like his voice pretty well.