Sex and Religion

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
cockoo
Newcomer

Whats with all the hating on Sex and Religion, its a good album my second favorite after Flex-able. Anyone else thinks its underrated say so.
BSBoy

same, my favourite is Flex-able, second is Sex & Religion- Amazing album
RAI

I think it's conceived as being a "hated" album, because so many people were disappointed when Steve didn't release a "P & W, pt 2".
Never mind that it's a good album, but it just isn't the same as "P & W".

For me, it's one of Steve's best.
Totally bitchin' music on there...

8)
Rakuku

He lost the 'Zappa' crowd after releasing it because they felt he was trying to do the typical rock-band thing.
Seraphim

Rakuku wrote:He lost the 'Zappa' crowd after releasing it because they felt he was trying to do the typical rock-band thing.
Hi Rakuku!

I understand your point of view!!! At least he don't loose me, my love with his music still carry on!!!
Yes, I'm a Zappa crowd "fanatic" and I love "Sex and Religion" album very much!!! Touching Tongues, Rescue me, Still My Bleedin Heart, ALL THE SONGS!!! I LOVE IT!!!

Serap :wink:
cnc74

cockoo wrote:Whats with all the hating on Sex and Religion, its a good album my second favorite after Flex-able. Anyone else thinks its underrated say so.
I agree. Sex and Religion is one of my favorites. One of the best cd's to listen to while driving. It was something Steve wanted to do, and he did a great job. One of his finecst cd's.
nienturi

I believe that many people didnt understand that album. Its a wy different from others. But also it has very special something within its essence. And i really really love the addition of Devin Townsend.

The only thing i believe that is insufficiant is tha Terry Bozzio factor. He is my fav. drummer. I like his tunes on S&R. But i know that he can do much much better ;)
treeduck

A great album that took me a while to get into, as I was expecting Passion and Warfare II, but I've never got bored with it, it has a lot of depth.
ZaHACKieL

hey everybody! well.....thats the exact question I ask myself everyday.....why is S&R so hated?? u read my mind........anyway, I think is hated by the critics, more than the fans.....why? I think because they think: "steve vai is a guitar player....so....he should be playing just his guitar, not singing and that stuff....." i think is because of that....anyway, i love S&R I think is the album that got me into Vai.....so, thanx S&R!!

Btw, the music in S&R is very particular, its not just hard rock.....its different, i mean......obviously is different because its Vai!, but , have u ever heard something very similar to S&R ?

See u all!! :D

ZaHACKieL
Guitar_freaak

Its taken me a while , but after RI:R , i have found a new interest in this album . I think i was the same , i wanted another P&W , and S&R just seemed out of place , but now that im over that im free to enjoy this album for what it is . Theres really some great music in there . But i have to say my favourite is Rescue me or bury me .
fyrie

This weekend I took a road trip with a few friends to another friend's house out in the middle of nowhere. We were talking music from high school (we all graduated 94-96) and this album came up in conversation. Outside of me, none of the other guys are guitar geeks. They were all gushing over this album and how they constantly jonze for it to this day. Weird!
ZaHACKieL

fyrie wrote:This weekend I took a road trip with a few friends to another friend's house out in the middle of nowhere. We were talking music from high school (we all graduated 94-96) and this album came up in conversation. Outside of me, none of the other guys are guitar geeks. They were all gushing over this album and how they constantly jonze for it to this day. Weird!
I dont know how many copies S&R sold......but how cool to hear no-guitar geeks talking about that album!
stratocastermaster

the thing i like most about S&Ris how much variety steve shows
PSD

Sex & Religion initially didn't deliver on what I thought it was going to be. There was a long delay between magazine promotions and actual release date and my expectation was not P&W2 but a monster set of tunes featuring a strong collaboration (input and direction) with Terry Bozzio and TM Stevens. As it turns out, it ended up being much different. Now having said that, I still like the disc as much as anything Steve has ever produced. However, TM ended up being sorely underutilized and Terry's sound got really compressed and buried under tons of guitar and vocal multi tracks.

I have often asked Steve to release the 6+ hours he has told me he has of him, Terry, and TM "going to Mars and back" (Steve's words).
Thereasonulive

what was that story about after the David Letter-man show they did S+R song and when he watched it back, he curled up into a ball on the floor and said "what have i done?" what was that about? Also on "deep down into the pain" what was all that screaming about and going "its a boy! Yay!" Did steve someone's record a pregnancy or something?