how fast is Steve?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Lucky_Charms

Melanhead wrote:Hmmmm... I thought the "Speed Game" ended a long time ago....

It's the note arragement that really counts and not the speed they're played at.

Being a great player is way more that just n.p.s.

When I think of Vai, I think Melody not Speed....I'm sure Steve does as well....He's got it all and knows how and when to use it.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good Shred now and then but have you ever tried to hum a 64th note passage ???

www.mp3.com/melanhead
www.soundclick.com/bobmelanson

It is just an interesting fact. Not a measure of the guitarists skill or musicianship, and I think everyone here knows that.
Tobacco Road

Steve can play one note and it makes more of a musical statement then any shredder alive. Anyone can play fast but to have the articulation Vai brings to the table is amazing.
llamahead

quick opinions. .. . . . . . who's faster Vai or Herman Li of Dragonforce?
joshua202020

Does it even matter?
Tobacco Road

joshua202020 wrote:Does it even matter?

Tru say
_Josu_

I don't think that the guy of Dragonforce can enjoy of his playing too much...playing guitar can be a show but if you don't feel what you're playing It's a nonsense...It's great to be able to play in that way but you don't have time to breath so you may not really enjoy as much as Steve does for example
Splish

llamahead wrote:quick opinions. .. . . . . . who's faster Vai or Herman Li of Dragonforce?
I heard that the whole "Inhuman Rampage" album was recorded at half speed, and then sped up, I think I'd go with Steve :wink:
TheOtnip

Splish wrote:
llamahead wrote:quick opinions. .. . . . . . who's faster Vai or Herman Li of Dragonforce?
I heard that the whole "Inhuman Rampage" album was recorded at half speed, and then sped up, I think I'd go with Steve :wink:
I kind of doubt that, considering Herman and Sam can almost do the solos correctly live and I've seen footage on youtube of Herman playing a solo up to speed while recording it.
EirikHH

this is stupid.
Splish

TheOtnip wrote:
Splish wrote:
I kind of doubt that, considering Herman and Sam can almost do the solos correctly live and I've seen footage on youtube of Herman playing a solo up to speed while recording it.
I didn't say they couldn't play it.. A mate of mine went to see them at Download in '06 and said that the songs were much slower live than they were on record. But whatever, they're a good band all in all.
another virtuoso

i heard that steve vai is so fast he once peeled a banana from 12 feet away with nothing but a mixolydian scale
vai_arg
Newcomer

Im from Argentina ...
Steve Vai es so much more than speed. I feel bad for guys that look only that aspect on steve's music ...
Here you have a local guitarist, Pablo Soler. http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Mkn-8qNIg
Look the speed ... incredible, but the music?
nothing more to say
notavirtuoso

another virtuoso wrote:i heard that steve vai is so fast he once peeled a banana from 12 feet away with nothing but a mixolydian scale
You're lying, it was an orange and you know it.
Falcon
Newcomer

No doubt that Vai can play extremely quickly but I also think he is wise enough not to stake everything on speed alone. Like most players, I'm sure he has his ups and downs, with licks that easily fly off the fingers consistently while others are more risky.

I think we'll see less and less flashy playing from Steve with time as he becomes ever more subtle, intricate and expressive.

If you listen to Paco de Lucia's latest album, there is hardly any fast playing at all, just one little run on one of the tracks. Apparently, the producers were worried the album would have less appeal, but Paco stuck to his guns, saying he didn't think the album really needed it. And anyone who has seen him recently knows that he still has almost supernatural technical facility for playing fast scales!

For me, Vai has always been about that laser-sharp, clean, accurate sound where single every nuance of sound is under control and intended, whether it's fast playing or not.
TheOtnip

vai_arg wrote:Im from Argentina ...
Steve Vai es so much more than speed. I feel bad for guys that look only that aspect on steve's music ...
Here you have a local guitarist, Pablo Soler. http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Mkn-8qNIg
Look the speed ... incredible, but the music?
nothing more to say
Great hammer of Thor!

That had to be the fastest ever, but one of the most displeasing thing I've ever heard.

If I had the speed of Dr. Vai, I'd use it like he does. Just because I could play 20 notes per second doesn't mean I'd only play 20 notes per and second and it doesn't make me a good player and it won't make my music dynamic and so on and so on.

Wish my hands would catch up with my imagination on what I would write...