how fast is Steve?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
playnoevil777

Obviously Steve isn't THAT fast,but he can be pretty quick.I once heard (I have no idea where) that Steve at his fastest,w/o being sloppy can play 17-18 notes a second.Anyone know if that's true,or not?I think that I read that in an article that was comparing Steve to YJM,but I can't remember.I remember hering that YJM could do 19 in one second,but I'm not sure.Thanx for any answers. :D
zod
Newcomer

Vai's Fastest moment:

20,8 notes per second
Song: The Riddle
16 Notes/tempo @ 78bpm
steeda

Thats pretty scientific :P In that case, I wonder how many Michael Angelo, or Rusty Cooley could do per second!
IbanezRules

zod wrote:Vai's Fastest moment:

20,8 notes per second
Song: The Riddle
16 Notes/tempo @ 78bpm
:shock: How did u manage to figure that out??!! :shock: :shock:
playnoevil777

how did you figure that out?has Steve said so b4,or is it like a little known fact,or what?and did you mean 20.8 saconds instead of 20,8? :?
Gabe Nickelson

steeda wrote:Thats pretty scientific :P In that case, I wonder how many Michael Angelo, or Rusty Cooley could do per second!
Damn good question. It might soon be answered. I'm taking weekly lessons from Rusty and he mentioned he and Michael are going to have a speed competition sometime soon whenever the music store in Houston (the Woodlands) can set it up. A computer device of some sort will check the speed... If it happens I'll make sure I take a video of it. Personally, I feel Rusty is faster, but we'll see.

Gabe
zod
Newcomer

Oh, sorry: the source was "GUITARRA TOTAL" magazine. They used computers to calculate the numbers of notes per second... and yes, the number is 20.8 notes per second. Pretty Good Steve :P
If anyone is interested, there is the complete list as it was show in the magazine:

Steve Vai: 20.8 notes per second
George Lynch: 19.8 notes per second
Kirk Hammett: 19 notes per second
Paul Gilbert: 18.8 notes per second
Van Halen: 18.7 notes per second
Joe Satriani: 17.6 notes per second
Nuno Bettencourt: 17 notes per second
Yngwie Malmsteen: 16.6 notes per second
Marty Friedman: 15 notes per second
Steve Morse: 14 notes per second

Denote that this list includes guitarists from the 80's, and this is because there isn't listed guitarists like Impellitteri, Greg Howe, MacAlpine, Vinnie Moore, Jason Becker,Shawn Lane, Gambale, etc...
Ah! and don't ask me why Kirk Hamment beats YJM, Paul Gilbert or Van Halen, 'cause I still can believe that... :?
RAI

In all honesty, I couldn't care less who is faster.....
It's what you do with the notes that matter, not how many.

But as we're on the subject, I seem to remember reading in GP a few years back that the human body's limit, is somewhere around 1,200 notes/minute.
That would put Steve over the conceived maximum....
But then again, who cares.......
:wink:
steeda

Kirk being in there proves the technique used to measure this is screwed. Kirk can't even accurately pick 1 note per second. I don't think he could even tremolo pick a note that fast. I also don't think ANY of those guys could do even CLOSE to 20 notes accurately picked per second under any condition. Does that report count hammer-ons and pulloffs? Is sweeping allowed? How about when an artists speeds up a lick digitally? Or uses delay? Does the computer count the delayed notes? Basically, the "report" is bogus :P
Willin

The reason why the numbers are so high (and why so many guitarists are "faster" than Yngwie) is because they calculate those speeds for tapped notes and alternate picking lines. The part of "The Riddle" where they calculated Vai's speed is on a tapped line. For Yngwie and probably Paul Gilbert, I am guessing it was an alternate picked line.
playnoevil777

wow,I made a 23 np/s lick,I'm faster than all of em' :lol: ,but that list is whack,YJM is waaaaaaaaaaay faster than that!And any1 who doesn't believe me that I can do 23,as soon as I can record,I PROMISE I'll record it,and post it.Hell,I'm sure there's ppl on here who can play 25+,I'm not that fast.I'm fast by MOST ppl's standards,but anyone who plays a lot of DT,YJM,MAB,etc.,knows I'm not that fast. 8)
markmcg

Personally, I think it's not really constructive to measure players' 'Notes Per Second' and to compare.

Did they measure how fast Da Vinci painted the Mona Lisa?

I hope you get my point.

Cheers
Mark.
Sam669

steve is fast enough, period

measuring speed like that has always been for retards...
plus there is the question of the pattern played. even though morse isnt playing his alternate picked arppeggios @ 260 16ths notes, it will be harder than hammet trem-blasting the same note @ 600 (hammett? technique? erm... no)

about angelo/cooley, rusty seems to be the faster to me. angelo's patterns sound damn fast, but thats all, he isnt that insanely fast.
Melanhead

Hmmmm... I thought the "Speed Game" ended a long time ago....

It's the note arragement that really counts and not the speed they're played at.

Being a great player is way more that just n.p.s.

When I think of Vai, I think Melody not Speed....I'm sure Steve does as well....He's got it all and knows how and when to use it.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good Shred now and then but have you ever tried to hum a 64th note passage ???

www.mp3.com/melanhead
www.soundclick.com/bobmelanson
atifman

that report is a lil bit sketchy, because what did they do so fast? sweep picking? alternate picking? tapping? string skipping? those all have different max speeds.

i got 2 questions: where exactly in the Riddle does Vai play this 20 nps passage?
and how do you figure that out mathematically?

and guys, please don't bring up that, "speed doesn't matter, i care about melody", this thread is obviously centered around speed, not about being a great player, you don't need to bring up an opinion that i'm sure at least 90% of the people in this forum believe in. Bringing that up over and over is so hackneyed. I know it's your opinion, but come on man. it's like if someone started a thread about tapping, and you saying, "i hate tapping, people should develop left hand technique before right hand technique" :roll: