Review G3 DVD Live in Tokyo

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Zabooka Joe

#61 Post by Zabooka Joe » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:20 pm

After watching it, I kinda wonder what goes on discussionwise with the studio that records the film before the actual filming. Even though I was satiated with this new DVD release, I see it as having more potential than what was presented.

Maybe I'm being to critical, but I wonder if the director (i don't think there was one, just cameramen and editor according to the credits) knows what shots are best before the actual filming begins. Perhaps a director should get an idea of what the songs are about conceptually. I'm not talking music video creative here, I'm just wondering whether if somehow the cameramen know the intent or purpose behind each song.

I think I'd just like to see a little more thought behind these DVD releases. (Vai live in astoria was great as far as the editing and tidbits are concerned) I know it must be hard to collaborate with the 3 different bands, so perhaps I'm being a bit too critical. Maybe I've taken too many film classes.

Thats all I think is pertinent, performances and otherwise I don't think quite belong on a DVD review thread. Otherwise, a real treat.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Vaism

#62 Post by Vaism » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:01 am

you think paul gilbert would fit better on the g3 stage than petrucci? LMFAO! :lol:

anuj

#63 Post by anuj » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:03 am

btw, i must absolutely make clear - the CDs ripped flawlessly in itunes on a mac. windows users might have issues.

~A

sword

#64 Post by sword » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:13 pm

Thanks a bunch for the commentary track Mikey. Any idea why it was cut? And was it in the original plan to do commentaries for the whole show? If not, why was Steve doing this one?

More Vai, More Vai!!!

(¯`·._.·†§wo®Ð†·._.·´¯)

laplaine

Saw the opening in San Francisco

#65 Post by laplaine » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:47 am

I orginally planned to go to the DVD release at a theater near Washington D.C. but a late business trip landed me in San Fransisco. I lucked out, I attended that showing instead and Satriani showed up to introduce the DVD at the move theater. What a treat!!! I'd guess there was only about 40 people there and he and Jeff Campitelli were both in attendance. Joe is a humble cool guy who just seems love what he does. I thought it was a heck of a gesture that he took the time to come chat with us.

I do think this is the best G3 release to date. I was highly dissappointed with the Yngwie set, as I've always thought he was poor choice to match with Satch and Vai.

I like Live in Astoria better then this DVD, but this does come in a close 2nd. Thanks for the great release Steve.

totallygeek

#66 Post by totallygeek » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:34 am

anuj wrote:btw, i must absolutely make clear - the CDs ripped flawlessly in itunes on a mac. windows users might have issues.

~A
For those having trouble from Windows ripping the CD, you can get help by clicking here.

zappadons

#67 Post by zappadons » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:22 am

Is the DVD in the shops in the UK tomorrow?

nosferatu777

#68 Post by nosferatu777 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:29 pm

Any dvd these guys release, I buy. 12.99 USD!!! Can't beat that @Best Buy. Anyway, John's performance was great and his soloing in "the jams" was incredible. I've been into his work since "Images and Words". I'm glad he's been apart of the G3 roster.
I think I only took a couple breaths during Steve's set. Amazing once again. Steve and The Breed bring such adrenaline rush to the show. Billy's bass looked so cool on "The Audience is Listening."
Joe's set list was awesome. It was interesting to know, in the commentary, how he broke a string during "War" and started the song over again.
During the jams, I felt Steve paid too much attention to what Joe was doing and not looking at John a lot. I know Joe is the band leader and sets the cues etc... but there were times John was practically looking and leaning over Steve's guitar to get into it more. I've seen this during other jams including the Ibanez anniversary performance. Steve seemed to leave Andy Timmons hanging @ the end while he jammed with Paul Gilbert.
Overall, during the jam, John was solid, Joe seemed predictable, and Steve, sometimes I feel didn't bring it all to the jam, but then he played something so amazing.... Great dvd.

zappadons

#69 Post by zappadons » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:30 am

Does anyone have any idea when this DVD is on the shelves in the UK?

HeBoMan

#70 Post by HeBoMan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:05 am

totallygeek wrote:
anuj wrote:btw, i must absolutely make clear - the CDs ripped flawlessly in itunes on a mac. windows users might have issues.

~A
For those having trouble from Windows ripping the CD, you can get help by clicking here.
I used MP3Producer in Win XP, no prob to save as wav or mp3 on disk.....

HeBoMan

#71 Post by HeBoMan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:09 am

zappadons wrote:Does anyone have any idea when this DVD is on the shelves in the UK?
I pre-ordered at Amazon and my dvd arrived here, in Holland, today. No worries about region codes, the dvd is region 0 (is region free), as to be seen on the dvd box.
8) Henk.

Vegas_Blues

#72 Post by Vegas_Blues » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:32 pm

Any dvd these guys release, I buy. 12.99 USD!!! Can't beat that @Best Buy.
I got mine from Tower Records in Las Vegas for sale at $10.99.....
So, yah....I can beat that :lol:

Proview

#73 Post by Proview » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:21 am

After a long waiting, the DVD arrived to my town. 19,90€. Quite cheap for a brand spanking new DVD in Finland.

Petrucci: I'm very disappointed with him.... HE MISSED TWO NOTES!!!!1!!!1!!!!!!!111! :shock: (You're supposed to laugh :lol:, I'm actually a big fan of his DT stuff. ) OMFG, I've scavenged the Internet to find a video, where he makes an obvious mistake. In Damage Control he made an awful bend and later in the song he misses one note.

No seriously, great playing, lovely melodies. Very technical, it could've used a rhythm guitarist someone like Vinnie Moore or Steve Lukather, his fellow Music Man endorsees.

Vai: TOTAL PWNAGEZ!!! I'm just speechless, Building The Church sounded so thick, powerful and energetic. Damn... I need a Jem with lights now. Billy's solo in TAIL... WOW, OMFG!

Satch: Well, in my opinion, this '05 set didn't quite hit me. '96 was prime, but now I only liked Searching.

Jam: Shreds baby!!!!

I'm going to watch this again tonight.

b2

#74 Post by b2 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:58 pm

Petrucci was ok. Steve was ok. Joe was ok.
The best song was "K'm-Pee-Du-Wee" because I think it is the best song.
Best jam songs was Foxey Lady and Smoke On The Water.
Also nice with some comments from the players as bonus feature.
Still my favourite G3 DVD is the first one with Eric Johnson.

Kas_satriani
Newcomer

#75 Post by Kas_satriani » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:44 pm

hey does anyone have any idea why both joe's site and vai's don'ty have preiviews for this dvd they had prievwies for the last one.
I only ask this cause i live in AUS and i can'tr get the dvd yet.