Review G3 DVD Live in Tokyo

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
GuitarMofo23

#31 Post by GuitarMofo23 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:44 am

Hurray! Just bought it from Circut City. It was only $12.99 which was pretty cheap. NowI am :D off to go watch it! :D

Vaism

#32 Post by Vaism » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:47 am

ok this has to be tied with the first g3 concert for the best one. the 3 of them are just amazing. johns set is kinda short and not nearly as interactive but he plays all the notes perfectly and always has a great tone. vai's set is electric (big change from the last g3 dvd) and his performance is great although the Audience Is Listening is a tough song to pull off live in terms of the guitar tone which wasnt as great as i was hoping. Joe's set is great, he always performs at the top of his game. i feel that joe's and steve's sets were better than johns in terms of overall show. now the jam- im going to get egged for this lol. ladies and gentlemen steve vai is my favorite guitar player ever but im not sure at all what he was doing on this jam. joe was great as he always is. John was absoultey amazing as to be expected, really just the perfect addition for this jam. i noticed hes taken a lot from joe in terms of melody. steve, now, i just dont understand what he was thinking during these jams. he *almost* sounded inferior or out of place (like yngwie on last year's jam). He did pretty well on the hendrix jam and then the last 2 it was like what are you playing dude. he was playing things that were totally out of context with the song. mr vai is so inventive and experiemental but i just wasnt feeling the licks at all. his solos were predictable after the first one. some harmonics with whammy some sweeps etc. i guess i felt that he wasnt really trying that hard. its such a huge contrast from the first G3 dvd when he slaughtered souls on EVERY SONG. EVERY JAM and EVERY song. the solos were just amazing then and here its like yeah you are vai i know you can do better than that. im not bashing vai in any way this is a great dvd definitely worth the 12 dollars i paid. three best guitar players on one stage EVER. PERIOD.

Prezidentman

#33 Post by Prezidentman » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:34 am

My review>

I was the first one to buy a copy of the dvd at a local store and I watched the entire thing today...well, I watched Steve's set 3 times already...but first things first.
The sound and video quality are great...really great...
The camerashots are definitely an improvement over the last G3 dvds
The quality of all the musicians is undoubtable...

John Petrucci> 8) John IMO opinion has one thing going for him and that's his flawless technique..the man can shred!!! I quite like the songs he chose from Suspended animation but I still can't help but feel a little bored after a few minutes of watching him play..sure it's impressive as hell, but...I just need a little more than perfect chops...the end of John's set finally started to feel a little more "lively", unfortunately just the end.

Steve Vai> :shock: Let me say it this way, this dvd is worth buying for Steve's set alone. It's AMAZING!!! The Man doesn't age!! This is exactly what you want to see at a Steve Vai show...hyper active Steve, fun, tons of incredible skills...simply a blast. Steve's clearly at the top of his game!!! If the Real Illusions DVD is anything like this I'll be glued to the t.v. for days!!! I just love the whole wibe of this performance!! :guitar

Joe Satriani> :) Joe is a true professional and he doesn't disappoint here either. I really like his selection of songs and I also like his playing here more than on the last dvd...he seems to be trying to sound a bit different ...and I think he does sounds better. Very solid set. :headbang

The Jam>I definitely enjoyed watching this more than the last with Yngwie..even though I still think John relies a bit too much on his incredibly fast picking. Nevertheless, it's still fun to watch, just nothing totally spectacular. As somebody pointed out earlier, it is a bit distracting to not be able to hear Joe singing Foxy Lady, he's pretty burried in the mix.

The bonus soundcheck was actually quite interesting and the insight from all the guys was great.

Overall this DVD is great, buy it!!! The only issue I have (and I know I'm not the only one) with it is the length...I just wish we could see the entire setlist from all the guys...2 or 3 songs is just not enough!!!!!

Vaism

#34 Post by Vaism » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:14 pm

ok i jsut read the other reviews. there is a serious vai bias here and its to be expected since this is his site forum. vai and satch are my favorites with petrucci there too. i always thought of vai and satch as the better solo guitar players and JP as more of a band guy. JPs technique is flawless and has done nothing but get better over time (his songs are done with no errors). in ADDITION to that he is incredibly melodic. people on this forum seem to just dismiss him almost as relying too much on shredding but isnt everyone shredding on the jam? if you ask me JP outplays vai MINUS the alternate picking. lets forget petrucci even alternate picked ANYTHING on the jams. he still plays melodies (great melodies with definite satch and blues influence) that are cohesive with the freaking songs. vai did not do well on the jams. anyone who thinks that vai did great on the jams and petrucci did not is being unreasonable and is speaking with a bias. im not even gonna mention satch because he is consistently amazing on these types of songs no to mention his own sets. he outplayed vai and yngwie on denver g3. vai's set was great but almost felt that his tone wasnt where it normally is and hes no longer as agile and spontaneous of a player. just look at the first g3 dvd and then watch this one. i dunno i feel that vai could have played better, he needs to stop the tricks on the jams it just wasnt good at all. im just kinda let down because vai is such a better player than what he displayed and i can see that joe and john put what they had in it and their sets AND jams came out amazing. that being said im the biggest vai fan ever. hands down.

Prezidentman

#35 Post by Prezidentman » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:44 am

Vaism wrote:ok i jsut read the other reviews. there is a serious vai bias here and its to be expected since this is his site forum. vai and satch are my favorites with petrucci there too. i always thought of vai and satch as the better solo guitar players and JP as more of a band guy. JPs technique is flawless and has done nothing but get better over time (his songs are done with no errors). in ADDITION to that he is incredibly melodic. people on this forum seem to just dismiss him almost as relying too much on shredding but isnt everyone shredding on the jam? if you ask me JP outplays vai MINUS the alternate picking. lets forget petrucci even alternate picked ANYTHING on the jams. he still plays melodies (great melodies with definite satch and blues influence) that are cohesive with the freaking songs. vai did not do well on the jams. anyone who thinks that vai did great on the jams and petrucci did not is being unreasonable and is speaking with a bias. im not even gonna mention satch because he is consistently amazing on these types of songs no to mention his own sets. he outplayed vai and yngwie on denver g3. vai's set was great but almost felt that his tone wasnt where it normally is and hes no longer as agile and spontaneous of a player. just look at the first g3 dvd and then watch this one. i dunno i feel that vai could have played better, he needs to stop the tricks on the jams it just wasnt good at all. im just kinda let down because vai is such a better player than what he displayed and i can see that joe and john put what they had in it and their sets AND jams came out amazing. that being said im the biggest vai fan ever. hands down.
First of all, I don't think people on this forum dismiss Petrucci because he shreds to much, as far as I'm concerned he's a great player, but as I stated in my review above, his set just seems a lot less entertaining to me (compared to Vai)...and that's simply what matters to me more, the interaction, the fun factor..not just that someone plays a song perfectly note for note.

I don't know what exactly you me by "agile" but I think Steve's playing in the jams has always been this way, I agree that Satch and John are better at improvising in these situations and Steve sometimes plays a bit out of context but I also think that's all just a matter of taste..that's just his approach and I don't think he really did much better on the first G3 dvd, but that's just my opinion. He's no blues player, that's for sure.

EyE

#36 Post by EyE » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:30 am

What about the bonus material? I heard there's a bonus disk!! :wink:

EyE

#37 Post by EyE » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:51 am

Well no bonus disk but what about the special features? :wink:

GreenMeanie

#38 Post by GreenMeanie » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:26 am

EyE wrote:Well no bonus disk but what about the special features? :wink:
The bonus is soundcheck and you can chose to listen to each of the guys commentary on it.

Joanne

egratteau

Awesome DVD - Somehow Lacking?

#39 Post by egratteau » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:02 am

This is a copy of my DVD review on Amazon.com. I thought I would share it on my favorite forum....

I have been a tremendous fan of the G3 concerts for years. In fact, you can see me in the front row of the "Live in Denver" DVD. There are few people that are bigger fans of Joe, Steve, John, Yngwie, and Eric than me. Many people share my sentiments when I say that the three song set formula they have been using, leaves this post-concert experience a little empty.

If you are fortunate enough to attend one of the concerts, it usually exceeds 3 hours and allows many more songs. I've never understood why artists are unwilling to deliver what the fans (consumers) want (e.g. Metallica). There is surely a market for a multi-disk compilation featuring the entire show. It would be worth the $100.00 expense.

In regards to the DVD and CD, there isn't much to say. The performances are great, but some of the camera work leaves something to be desired. It is shot in a widescreen format, which I absolutely love, but it lacks the intimacy of the Denver show. The cameras seem very far away for the most part and they have to put the zoom on maximum to get close shots. There are also a couple of shots where they fail to adjust the viewing ratio and all three individuals are compressed, tall and skinny.

The fabulous artists in Steve Vai's band are barely evident as well. I would have been much happier to see some great shots of Dave Weiner and Tony McAlpine, but they were simply pushed to the side.

The Audio is superb. With the exception of some amplifier issues during Joe's solo at the end (he explains it in the commentary section), the 5.1 audio is flawless and a very good mix. The Joe Satriani technical difficulty is much more prominent on the CD version because their digital editor was able to smooth it out somewhat on the DVD. Joe doesn't believe in overdubs so he left it in to stay "honest" to the show.

Unlike the "Rockin' In the Free World" release, the DVD and CD are identical. Same location and set-list. Seems barely justifiable to purchase both. Hardcore fans like me won't have difficulty justifying the expense. Something to be mindful about, however, is the new copy protection software installed on the CD version. This will restrict your ability to play it on your computer without installing proprietary software and nearly impossible to play and rip in iTunes if you have a Mac. If you have the means, I would suggest recording the audio from the DVD to make yourself an audio only copy for in car use.

Ultimately, this concert allows for fans to see and hear songs, to date, they have not heard live. Most classics are absent, with the exception of "The Audience is Listening", and most songs are prominent standouts from the artist's latest releases. I can't really put my finger on it, but somehow I just feel a little short changed. Was it the (cold) venue? The camera work? I'm not really sure, but the experience lacks some luster.

PSD

#40 Post by PSD » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:48 am

Purchased a copy locally last night rushed home and watched it. Some people are writing that JP got less time on the disk and was somehow short changed. But he plays 2 tunes that clock in at 8+ minutes or so each. Steve and Joe each get approx. 20 minutes but they play shorter songs which are easier to edit and fit into the approximately 20 minute slot each perfomer gets. My point is I think each performer got plenty of time to express themselves. Short Review:
Highlights: "Building the Church", all the intense interplay between Steve and Billy, the first solo Petrucci takes on "LaGrange", high level of musicianship throughout
Lowlights: Joe's vocals on "Foxy Lady". I could hear him just fine and wished he WAS buried more in the mix. Terrible. No range, dynamics, or emotion. Go ahead and flame me, but it was really bad. Second,I wouldn't actually call it a lowlight, but I do agree that John and Joe do "justice" to the cover tunes more than Steve does. John and Joe just seem more rooted in classic rock and blues and they can better emulate it. I know Steve was influenced by Led Zep, Tull, Queen, etc., but his ideas don't seem to fit as naturally.
All in all, well worth the purchase. Definitely recommended and I will be watching this again and again along with the other G3 "library". Thanks

fp77&ep7owner

G3

#41 Post by fp77&ep7owner » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:25 am

I ordered my DVD and CDs from Sony online and got it the day before release day. I left work early because I had a feeling it would be waiting in the mailbox when I got home. It was!!!! I watched Steve’s portion first and then the jam. It was very cool because I got to meet Steve just 2 weeks before this was filmed through the RI tour and the EVO experience. I just stared at EVO and said to myself “Hey I was holding that guitar 2 weeks before this performance!”

Steve and the guys are terrific, as always. I liked all 3 tunes but Building the Church really sticks out among the 3 and I love the song even more than I did before. The Jam is great. I was really thinking “oh no” not Smoke on the Water plz plz no. I teach guitar to Jr. High kids I hoped to never hear that song again. But, they managed to make that song cool again. It is definitely better than last times Rockin’ in the Free World (choke). Billy was awesome on the ZZ top cover, but I didn’t care for Joe’s vocals on the Hendrix.

Next I watched the bonus features. These are very cool IMHO. Steve gives a great history of the G3 concerts and interesting facts about each one. I also enjoyed hearing about Joe and his busy schedule during the time of the G3 gigs.

I still know very little about John, but I like his style and I’m impressed how he can make such long songs stay interesting.

If you have to choose between the CD and the DVD there’s no question the DVD gives more bang for the buck. I don’t mind at all that the set list is the same on both. I actually prefer it that way.

I hope this can tide me over until the RI DVD!!! That should be really special.
Take care!!!!

Real_Confusions

#42 Post by Real_Confusions » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:30 pm

I just finished watching the DVD and it is indeed spectacular.

The venue itself was better than the other ones. I also thought that the DVD did a better job showing the "human" side of the players, too. The crowd absolutely loved Mike Portnoy, which is understandable considering he lived in Japan (Dream Theater is famous there, too.) Then, when Joe and Steve bowed to one another, the fans went crazy; Petrucci looks back at Portnoy, and the two laugh, as well. Great camera work, great feel, great environment.

Also, who knew that Satch could speak Japanese so fluently?!

REVIEW:

I thought that Petrucci's set was amazing. "Glasgow Kiss" has to be one of the coolest songs I've heard--I love the "pick-me-up" style scales he uses. I also have to say that Petrucci's set was the most straightforward, balls out performance. It was just three guys--Mike, Dave, and John--and they all did their part. It kind of reminds me of Cream. Portnoy was great on drums, Petrucci was great on guitar (though near the end it got repetitive, it would've been killer live), and Dave did great on bass. Probably my favorite performance.

Vai came out and I was ecstatic. I couldn't believe that I was finally going to get to see him play "The Audience is Listening..." What came next, though, was disappointment. His tone on the song was terrible. I was really looking forward to seeing him play it live, but it didn't sound much like the recording, at all. When he got to the solo, I was hoping for him to nail it, but instead it sounded like he tried to "whammy" his way through it. The band's sound on the performance wasn't that great either--it sounded muddy to me. The Breed definitely put on the best show though--Jeremy reminded me a lot of Tommy Lee. The rest of the set was great, it just seemed to start off slow.

Speaking of slow, next comes Satch's set. I loved Joe's performances on the other DVDs, but on this one it seems like he mellowed out. He had some cool parts (like when he was using the whammy pedal), but the set seemed drawn out, overall. Still a superb job on his part, but I thought that it didn't live up to the other DVDs.

The jam was outstanding. "Foxey Lady" was good, even though Joe couldn't sing it. Petrucci nailed the solos like he was playing them straight off the records. "La Grange" was great--Billy's singing was perfect. The breakdowns in the song were great, too. I don't think that Vai did a poor job on the solos, he always plays like that--it's his style. Satch, of course, has no problem improvising, though he seems to stay around the same frets a lot. Petrucci's alternate picking didn't bother me--it was funny when he would look over at how Vai would do certain things, though. Then came "Smoke on the Water". I wish that Portnoy could've played with the guys more, but Jeff did well. This was probably the best jam song of the night. Petrucci's solo almost matched Blackmore's off the live version note for note. The entire song seemed like the perfect Deep Purple tribute--the singing was perfect.

You don't want to miss the soundcheck either--it really shows the guys' "human" sides.

So, you wanna' know if it is worth buying? Of course it is--It's the best G3 I've seen!

Excuse me, I'm going to go watch it again.

:)

Vaism

#43 Post by Vaism » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:59 pm

thing is, i dont necessarily think that petrucci or satch ARE better at improvising. ive heard vai's improv numberous times, on the G3 1996 dvd its amazing (his solos in Im Going Down and My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama dominate all) and in the harmony hut jam with satch he really just makes your jaw drop. forget about the technical stuff its the melodies and the way he articulates his notes. however, he just did not try on this jam. he can make all the funny faces and whammy dives he wants but at the end of the day it just doesnt cut the mustard. lets forget that was vai up there and you saw these 3 dudes jamming out on those 3 songs. any reasonable person would be able to tell that his playing was just not up to par with everyone elses. i think the problem is sometimes he just forces things for the sake of trying to sound unique. i also think vai should go back to bogner and marshall (i dislike marshall) amps.

fineweather

#44 Post by fineweather » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:40 pm

Real_Confusions wrote: The venue itself was better than the other ones.
Exactly! Tokyo Forum is a very beautiful and clean venue and is good for sound.
It has comfortable seats in the auditrium, too. :)
Real_Confusions wrote: Also, who knew that Satch could speak Japanese so fluently?!
He is so cool! 8)
I heard that Joe lived in Kyoto(an old capital of Japan) for a short while in his youth.
Joe said, "Hello, I'm Joe Satriani. How are you doing? I can speak little of Japnanese..." in Japanese on this DVD.

Vaism

#45 Post by Vaism » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:04 pm

man i think the highlights for each set are:

john petrucci's Glasgow kiss solo. that is such a great solo and its not on the studio version. he is such a great melodic player. like vai said "everything he plays is bulletproof"

vai's audience is listening

joe's up in flames or war (war is the better song by far)