Review G3 DVD Live in Tokyo

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
MR4Y

#136 Post by MR4Y » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:54 pm

well, finally I have come to view the "last year" recent G3 and I'm not become so suprised: why? well, here is my "not so far from "sack pulling" review"

Jonh Petrucci

The first man that enter to play is Mr. Petrucci, the monster of alt. picking arpeggios and.... Ok the first song "Glasgow Kiss" made me feel so bad about his monster technique, and he made this thing be so simple! A good song with easy listening melody and lines (and of course has a lot of his odd time phrases :mrgreen:).

Second song "Damage Control" I thought very good because of his "Dream Theater" melody feel that remindes me the SOAM Album. Cool and a little long like most DT style song. :mrgreen:

The bad thing-It's me or John don't have any APARENT feeling in his play? I like his playing style, but it appears much robotic to me. He only made his "@ss like"(not intended to offend him) face and play all that shredding stuff without let any sweat come out and none face muscles moving :mrgreen: . I not liked his less expression playing but he is good overall.

Note-7,5. His "no face feeling" playing style mad all the notes come down to the floor and death 8) .And because the number of songs (I don't think the organization is fair, the "guest guitarrist" SHOULD play more songs than the residents Vai and Satch :mrgreen:)

Steve Vai

Well, well, the first surprise that I have at the start was the "Talking Guitar" trick(when Vai says "Hello" to the audience), and the first man that enter is Jeremy and...well In my mind at this time was phasing thoughts like "WTF is this hair?" and stuff like that when I saw at first. Then the man come play a little solo and came with the fantastic "Crybaby Wah Punishiment" song called "The Audience Is Listening", all is cool at the time....but wait! Vai is not playing like the last G3! What is wrong? His playing at this DVD was a little bad....well the RI tour was intense for him, I undestand that but, Vai you said it's fun to play in G3 and stuff. But if you're tired TAKE A REST before doing any show. When watching his "declining" (because of no rest, xD), I get a little disapointed. Vai, remeber you're not forced to join the G3 tour EVERY year :mrgreen:

Well...after the first song, he cames with his new "toy", introduce all the members to the audience and play the blasting overture of his recent album called "Building The Church". Well the song is great, but at this time, this song don't have the enough feeling.(because of the reasons above). But the song was good overall.

After that, Billy starts to play a intro, and Vai came with other "vaiseque" type of song. "K'm-Pee-Du-Wee" was pretty good and the bass intro came like a good compliment :mrgreen:.

Note- 7,5 too. Because of his no caring in rest(apparently), to approach new ideas and come "no reclycled" to G3 tour.

Joe Satriani

Well, maybe this is the first time that Joe came for last in the "array". The first song is one of my favorites: "Up In Flames". The D Lydian (correct me if i'm wrong :mrgreen:) overture is always good, and people that dunno the song will think different about this blasting song if they just listen the intro. Watching closely....Satch was playing different than the standard bluesy licks that he always do in solos. Now he gets more fast and entered a little in shredding. This apparent changing was good. And the song came with a new "air".

Next song is "Searching", well, not much to say about it because I have no watched this song on the DVD yet.

Last song is "War". A very blasting song that made Satch broke the E string :mrgreen:. This song at this time was more fast than the studio version, and really give a the real sense of the tittle.

Note- 8,5. His new "approach" to his own technique made him, step one pedal on shredding, and I never saw this side of Satch before.

Well, I need to watch the G3 Jam too, XD

panchowpui
Newcomer

aiyoyo

#137 Post by panchowpui » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:17 am

aiyoyo,,long winded long farting long story,,,

shanekimble14

#138 Post by shanekimble14 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:58 pm

the G3 2005 live in Tokyo video was very good, but i think the 2003 G3 with Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and Yngwie Malmsteen was the best

SRVoodoo

#139 Post by SRVoodoo » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:39 pm

MESSAGE FOR SRVOODOO: I think I have a concussion after watching this! :wink:[/quote]

BAAAAAAAHHHHAAAAAAAA! :lol:

GreenMeanie

#140 Post by GreenMeanie » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:48 pm

SRVoodoo wrote:
GreenMeanie wrote:MESSAGE FOR SRVOODOO: I think I have a concussion after watching this! :wink:

BAAAAAAAHHHHAAAAAAAA! :lol:

:D (inside joke)

guyzif

#141 Post by guyzif » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:08 pm

Gees i really need to get this DVD. Any help anyone for picking it up in th UK?

Marty McFly

#142 Post by Marty McFly » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:39 am

Don't think it is coming out in the UK to be honest. Who knows? Best bet is to order from Amazon.

:cry:

guyzif

#143 Post by guyzif » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:35 am

Why the hell not? We have all the others!

Bono

#144 Post by Bono » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:42 pm

I think us folk in the Uk should give up hope of getting here any time soon - just import it, you'll be glad you did (I sure was :) )

guyzif

#145 Post by guyzif » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:52 pm

I will!. It will probably be cheaper than store prices anyway...

Marty McFly

#146 Post by Marty McFly » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:22 am

guyzif wrote:Why the hell not? We have all the others!
I know, its a joke! Ordering online appears to be the only way for peeps in the UK.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

guyzif

#147 Post by guyzif » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:35 am

It really is rediculous, i dont see what the problem is.

What company produces it?

Marty McFly

#148 Post by Marty McFly » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:28 am

guyzif wrote:It really is rediculous, i dont see what the problem is.

What company produces it?
I'm not really sure mate. I thought Sony were distributing the DVD - I could be totally wrong. I think the problem is that no one has any info why it's not in the shops. Its frustrating.

fineweather

#149 Post by fineweather » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:33 am

Ah...finally G3 Live in Tokyo DVD(Japanese/domestic vers.) will be released on March 24th in Japan... :D The release date for Japanese vers. had been postponed 3 or 4 times, though it was filmed in Japan! :shock:
I already have this DVD for US vers., but I'm going to make a pre-order for the Japanese vers., too! :)

Alun

#150 Post by Alun » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:20 pm

UK people - I picked up a region free import copy at a local shop in Swansea today. Speaking to the owner he said he's sold quite a few but not heard any plans for a UK release.

It might be worth trying them if you're deperate for a copy...

http://musicquarium.co.uk/

Cheers,
Alun