Review G3 DVD Live in Tokyo

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Freek Show XS

#121 Post by Freek Show XS » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:19 am

I got this for my birthday recently and i would have to say this was a great present

John Petrucci This was the first time i had heard John play, I was quite impressed and i loved both the songs. Great performance BUT It didnt Look like he was "Into" the performance he was too stiff. Still great performance and playing

Steve: I was so eager to hear "The Audience Is Listening" performed live.
It was the first song i went to. Amazing FULL STOP. "Building The Church." Was great as well (i didnt realise the intro was played by Steve. I thought it was Tony on keyboards) K'm Pee Du Wee was great its a shame Evo is slowly "dying"

Joe: Joe's Set was amazing My personal Favorite was "Searching"
"Up in Flames" was good and "War" Blew me away.
If you listen to Joe's audio commentary on the sound check. He talks of How he Broke a string.
(Joe Can speak Japanese Very Well)

The Jam: "Foxey Lady" The Solo's were mindblowing. I wont say anything about Joe's singing (Cough hrrm)
"La Grange" Billy's Vocals were Great. Steve does little guitar pieces throughout the vocal sections which are the Icing on that cake.
"Smoke on The Water" I didnt think such a simple song could be performed so well. (But Hey When was the last time i wrote a Lengendary Riff?) Great solo's and jamming

The Soundcheck was interesting with a amusing closing from Steve.
The Commentarys are definatly worth the look.

Although this is not my favorite G3 I will probably wear out the the DVD from watching it over and over. A+

FSXS.

MartLarose

#122 Post by MartLarose » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:35 pm

Got it for Xmas!!!

Wooooooooooooooow!!!!!!

Brought back great memories from the Montreal concert I saw in the spring!!!

Steve, you're the best!!!!
:D

Vaism

#123 Post by Vaism » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:54 pm

i dont think anyone knocking petrucci is really giving him a fair chance. forget the fact that hes technically skilled. what does he do that vai and satch dont do? alternate pick? in that case hes really not that much more technically skilled. just because hes not dancing around and making funny faces doesnt mean anything. listen to his solo on glasgow kiss. a flawless perfect solo. that solo is melodically perfect. if you were to write a manual on how a solo should be done you would absolutely use that solo. i wish i could say the same for any solo vai played on the dvd. anyone truly interested in why john petrucci is an amazingly special guitar player should check out Dream Theater's Images and Words, Liquid Tension Experiment 1 and An Evening With John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess. he is a very special player indeed and on the same stage as 2 of the greatest rock guitar players he certainly holds his own, maybe not in song writing but definitely in terms of technique, phrasing and melody.

resha

#124 Post by resha » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:24 am

Vaism wrote:if you were to write a manual on how a solo should be done you would absolutely use that solo.
I agree with you on this point. John's solos are really flawless in their construction/growing, I can clearly recognize Steve Morse's influence on that and I've always thought that His solo are simply amazing, the best way to approach a solo in rock music. :)

nosferatu777

#125 Post by nosferatu777 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:29 pm

People who play by the manual sound predictable. Guitarists who play "outside the box" are inventive.

BigBadMoFoGangsta

Steve Vai(Ozzy Ozbourne?) Fashion tips

#126 Post by BigBadMoFoGangsta » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:32 am

Steve normally has a pretty cool sense of fashion but I just couldn't help thinking to myself that Ozzy Ozbourne was up onstage playing guitar during the latter part of the DVD. The rose colored glasses, combined with the dull black jacket(leather?) and frizzled long hair causes too much resemblance to Ozzy Ozbourne, especially when the shades hang loosely on the nose, which they did quite frequently until he pushes them up again.
Firstly, if your going to wear shades while playing guitar try buying a pair that fit. Constantly having to push them up during the concert is a distraction for your guitar playing and annonying to the people watching. Old people wear glasses on the end of the nose. Elite guitarists dont, unless they want to look older than they really are.
Next, loose the baggy jackets for something that fits your body better. The one in the video must be retired.

Loose the frizzy samarai warrior hair style for the hairstyle on your Real Illusions home page. Long straight shiny hair. It makes you look alot younger.

And lastly, please do not chew gum while playing guitar. I don't know if Steve thinks this makes him look cool or if its just a bad habit. Steve, you are already cool, dont over do it.

Moderator777

Re: Steve Vai(Ozzy Ozbourne?) Fashion tips

#127 Post by Moderator777 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:12 am

BigBadMoFoGangsta wrote:Steve normally has a pretty cool sense of fashion but I just couldn't help thinking to myself that Ozzy Ozbourne was up onstage playing guitar during the latter part of the DVD. The rose colored glasses, combined with the dull black jacket(leather?) and frizzled long hair causes too much resemblance to Ozzy Ozbourne, especially when the shades hang loosely on the nose, which they did quite frequently until he pushes them up again.
Firstly, if your going to wear shades while playing guitar try buying a pair that fit. Constantly having to push them up during the concert is a distraction for your guitar playing and annonying to the people watching. Old people wear glasses on the end of the nose. Elite guitarists dont, unless they want to look older than they really are.
Next, loose the baggy jackets for something that fits your body better. The one in the video must be retired.

Loose the frizzy samarai warrior hair style for the hairstyle on your Real Illusions home page. Long straight shiny hair. It makes you look alot younger.

And lastly, please do not chew gum while playing guitar. I don't know if Steve thinks this makes him look cool or if its just a bad habit. Steve, you are already cool, dont over do it.
I think the point of this thread is to review the content DVD (ie - the music and production). It's a rock show, not a fashion show.

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com

BigBadMoFoGangsta

Re: Steve Vai(Ozzy Ozbourne?) Fashion tips

#128 Post by BigBadMoFoGangsta » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:40 pm

Moderator777 wrote: I think the point of this thread is to review the content DVD (ie - the music and production). It's a rock show, not a fashion show.

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
Ah, this is true. It is not a fashion show. I just think that Steve should look as good as he plays and in my honest opinion he didn't. I also think chewing gum while playing the guitar is silly. But these are just my opinions. I could be wrong. :)

Vaism

#129 Post by Vaism » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:51 pm

john petrucci is usually inevitable without predictable. many times, as in this improvised glasgow kiss solo i have thought "of course the melody progresses like that!" or "of course this phrase ends like this" but its not something i would have thought of had i not heard it in its entirety.

SPQR

x

#130 Post by SPQR » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:38 am

all i am saying is , its a true honour to have 3 amazing musicians on stage collaborating together, however for the most part my main idol is steve vai, he inspires me and so many others and a range of many different ways, that 2 me is a genouis, and well the dvd is the best to date, and i don't know how he gona top that dvd, could do it with real illusions tour dvd or sumthin,

gd luck 2 steve, go n have a long deserved holiday or sumthin man...

panchowpui
Newcomer

ok lah,so so,way to go

#131 Post by panchowpui » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:04 am

:lol: [b]quality of dvd need more improvement,,,sound suck,,of cos low cost make more $$$. but compromise is not an option to fans. [/b]

altruistik

#132 Post by altruistik » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:29 am

Regarding SONY's G3: Live in Tokyo :x DVD

It has been re-called by Sony due to a software (user privacy) "issue".

READ:

Rootkit
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Jump to: navigation, search

A ROOTKIT is a set of software tools frequently used by a third party (usually an intruder) after gaining access to a computer system. These tools are intended to conceal running processes, files or system data, which helps an intruder maintain access to a system without the user's knowledge. ROOTKITS are known to exist for a variety of operating systems such as Linux, Solaris and versions of Microsoft Windows. A computer with a rootkit on it is called a rooted computer.

The word "rootkit" came to public awareness in the 2005 Sony CD copy protection controversy, in which Sony BMG music CDs placed a rootkit on Microsoft Windows PCs.

source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit

See Amazon's NOTE:
Availability: THIS TITLE IS CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE. If you would like to purchase this title, we recommend that you occasionally check this page to see if it has become available.

hewhoshreds

#133 Post by hewhoshreds » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:02 am

(Does anyone know if this DVD has came to the UK/Ireland yet? I can't find it anywhere)

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#134 Post by Jeroen » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:36 am

altruistik wrote:Regarding SONY's G3: Live in Tokyo :x DVD

It has been re-called by Sony due to a software (user privacy) "issue".

READ:

Rootkit
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Jump to: navigation, search

A ROOTKIT is a set of software tools frequently used by a third party (usually an intruder) after gaining access to a computer system. These tools are intended to conceal running processes, files or system data, which helps an intruder maintain access to a system without the user's knowledge. ROOTKITS are known to exist for a variety of operating systems such as Linux, Solaris and versions of Microsoft Windows. A computer with a rootkit on it is called a rooted computer.

The word "rootkit" came to public awareness in the 2005 Sony CD copy protection controversy, in which Sony BMG music CDs placed a rootkit on Microsoft Windows PCs.

source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit

See Amazon's NOTE:
Availability: THIS TITLE IS CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE. If you would like to purchase this title, we recommend that you occasionally check this page to see if it has become available.
That's the CD, not the DVD.
J

altruistik

#135 Post by altruistik » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:21 am

okie dokie :wink: