Review G3 DVD Live in Tokyo

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
fiddlemord

#166 Post by fiddlemord » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:47 am

Good heavens! Great DVD,great show. A slight disappointment though,it wasn't the whole show (well,I should know better at this point though...). Let's break it into parts now...

John Petrucci: John played a very relaxed set and as always,played totally flawlessly,with great phrasing and emotion. I'm not bothered by the fact,that he's not the same kind of performer he was in the 90's,I still like the Petrucci of today. He's just being himself. Overall a very nice and relaxed performance.

"Glassgow Kiss" was fantastic. Very nice melodies and nice phrasing. The sound of the band is quite thin (not including Portnoy's powerful drumming) and airy,'cause of the size and shape of the hall. Besides,there's only guitar,bass and drums. Simple. The solo in the middle was beautiful. Very nice and relaxed performance.

"Damage Control" Things get heavier. I really like the riffs and melodies in this song. Great phrasing and the relaxed mood creates the perfect atmosphere for listening to this song. The trill in the beginning of the solo... :shock: Dear God,sounds like a wide and very fast vibrato. Love it!

Steve Himself: Steve certainly wasn't on tonight. We all know Steve can do better when he's not tired. Still though,he managed to pull out a quite energetic performance and his playing was very good. Phrasing and emotion are probably Steve's strongest weapons on this performance. Overall a very good performance,but not Steve's best by far.

"The Audience Is Listening" was great. Steve's (and Flo's,if it was Flo which he played during TAIL) salute to the crowd in the beginning was priceless. Somehow to me it seems Steve got better towards the end as the last bend in the beginning solo got messed up a bit. Good performance.

"Building The Church" was without a doubt Steve's strongest act of the whole show. Great phrasing in this one and I liked the "steroid solo" before the outro. Awesome!

"K'm-Pee-Du-Wee" What to say about it? Very relaxed when thinking about how Steve usually performs these ballads. The airy sound fits the lydian mode perfectly. Great performance of this great and beautiful song.

Joe Satriani: Joe was on tonight! Very energetic,amazing playing as always and I really like the songs too. Overall,Joe was probably the best out of the three.

"Up In Flames" I didn't know anything about this song until I heard it. First I had to get used to it,but the intro was something I understood the first time I heard the song. Crazy solo in the end! Matt's smile after that one Satch Scream was classic! Superb performance.

"Searching" The weakest song out of the three,but not a bad one. the melodies are good and the solo was intresting. Good song and a good performance.

"War" Classic Joe. Love the song,I remember learning it long time a go. The live version of it is a bit faster than the studio version. Joe makes the guitar really cry. And the solo... :!:

The G3 Jam: I was a bit disappointed with the jam. It was enjoyable,but where as the G3 Live In Denver jam was something that could stick to your mind,this was like the G3 Live In Concert jam. Well,they were having a good time though...

Overall,great DVD. Buy it now.

slater

#167 Post by slater » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:12 pm

I finally got this dvd. Just a few comments.

John Petrucci - I am not familiar with his solo material, and I have limited knowledge of DT's music. Overall I very much enjoyed his performance and playing. There's something about his style of playing that reminds me of...me (if I had only dedicated my life to guitar 25 years ago!).

Satch - great performance as usual. I am not familiar with these songs but that makes it all the more enjoyable for me. I am thinking this might not be Joe's best G3, but I need to watch it some more. Steve's commentary on the dvd sort of sums of my feelings of Joe too.

Vai - Audience and Building are not as intense as the solo performances I've heard and seen from two shows on the U.S.A. RI:R tour. However, I feel the opposite about K'm-Pee-Du-Wee which I often thought felt "rushed" on the solo tour. This performance in Tokyo is just right. I have no complaints, but overall I think this G3 performance is a different vibe for Steve versus his very recent solo shows prior to this one (that's probably stating the obvious, but what the heck!)

The Jam - I've never liked the jams on the previous G3 dvd's because they just didn't seem to "feel" right. But this one is different; I might actually watch this one more than once.

Extras - Thanks! We're all becoming accustomed to purchasing dvd's that contain material that is called "extra" or "bonus". No matter what you call it, it is always great to see and hear the artists when they're not performing on stage.

G3 Live in Tokyo gets 5 out 5 stars for me. Go purchase it if you haven't yet!

Dan McAwesome

#168 Post by Dan McAwesome » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:54 am

All of the G3 dvd's I have seen have all mostly been good, but I think they need to bring the one person, who is truly missing from G3, and is being completely overlooked...

ready?

BUCKETHEAD!

He is definetly in my top 5 of the most amazing (and some may say wierd) guitarists I have ever seen

Link : http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid= ... Buckethead

- Dan

the_1570

#169 Post by the_1570 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:46 am

Buckethead would be cool, but I just don't think he would fit in G3.

Bennett

#170 Post by Bennett » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:04 pm

Buckethead would be ~~ok~~, but nothing compared to John 5 or Paul Gilbert. btw this DVD is absolutely amazing. I'd have to rank it in at least the best 2 DVDs that I own. My only complaint is..John Petrucci..a bit too shy? I mean, I acknowledge him for his amazing music and I am a huge fan, but I just think he needs to get into it more..?

the_1570

#171 Post by the_1570 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:03 am

I love this DVD. I've had it since the day it came out!

The sets:

John Petrucci: Meh. Unenergetic. Perfect technique, but BORING.

Here's what you can expect from the set:

Steve Vai: Amazing performance. Many hilarious faces and great songs ensue.

Joe Satriani: Another great performance. Cool selection of songs.

The Jams: Really cool jams, good songs to jam to.

Overall, I think Steve had the best performance.

slash89

#172 Post by slash89 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:54 am

I think Steve did an amazing job, but Joe's Searching was unbelievable :shock: 8)

Fanch

#173 Post by Fanch » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:29 pm

I think the pre and post production, camera work and everything else was great. The highlight for me was seeing Steve play Building the Church live.
The energy was obviously tremendous!

seljer

#174 Post by seljer » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:07 am

good DVD overall, the stage was a little bit dark and Petrucci could have used a rythm guitar or something else to fill up the rest of the space (though at least he has a very good bass player) but still a great watch for most guitarists :)
Dan McAwesome wrote: BUCKETHEAD!

He is definetly in my top 5 of the most amazing (and some may say wierd) guitarists I have ever seen

Link : http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid= ... Buckethead

- Dan
if not Buckethead (though if you've listened to some of his concerts, he does some great hendrix covers) a G3 with either Paul Gilbert (his last album has got plenty of instrumental stuff :)) or Marty Friedman would be great as well
edit: or Mattias IA Eklundh

Bennett

#175 Post by Bennett » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:04 pm

the_1570 wrote:I love this DVD. I've had it since the day it came out!

The sets:

John Petrucci: Meh. Unenergetic. Perfect technique, but BORING.

Here's what you can expect from the set:

Steve Vai: Amazing performance. Many hilarious faces and great songs ensue.

Joe Satriani: Another great performance. Cool selection of songs.

The Jams: Really cool jams, good songs to jam to.

Overall, I think Steve had the best performance.
you're right..petrucci WAS kind of..i dunno..MATURE??! if that's the word. But at G3/06 I noticed that he had definitely changed..he was back to his rebellious days :D:D:D
with long hair 8)
and a beard 8)

eyebnez

#176 Post by eyebnez » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:31 am

the_1570 wrote:Buckethead would be cool, but I just don't think he would fit in G3.
I agree. I recently saw The Bucket and to put him with other artist without all that his shows entail would not work IMO.
Paul Gilbert on the other hand or even john 5(who's album Songs for sanity is good) Maybe even a jazz great Like Pat metheny. to seperate up the Groove a bit would be nice. But foremost I would like Andy timmons on the next one.
Tha live in Tokyo is the best G3 DVD by far as well as the best show I have been to out of the three.

Cobretti

#177 Post by Cobretti » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:46 pm

Intresting - Id love to see Bucket playing with G3 - he's definatly one of the best.

badasstommyboy

#178 Post by badasstommyboy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:55 am

eyebnez wrote:
the_1570 wrote:Buckethead would be cool, but I just don't think he would fit in G3.
I agree. I recently saw The Bucket and to put him with other artist without all that his shows entail would not work IMO.
Paul Gilbert on the other hand or even john 5(who's album Songs for sanity is good) Maybe even a jazz great Like Pat metheny. to seperate up the Groove a bit would be nice. But foremost I would like Andy timmons on the next one.
Tha live in Tokyo is the best G3 DVD by far as well as the best show I have been to out of the three.

dude you have fantastic taste in guitarists!!

Gilbert, John 5, Buckethead - gooooood stuff :D

Il_Rata
Newcomer

#179 Post by Il_Rata » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:49 am

I'd give everything to see a G3 show featuring Satch, Vai and ANDY TIMMONS! Timmons is in my opinion the best player out there!

davidparis

#180 Post by davidparis » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:17 pm

How i wish i could see G3 live...

This DVD is awesome, i think i like it best out of the three