Thanks Steve, I Will Never Forget It

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
waylay00
Newcomer

I just want to thank you Mr. Vai for everything you have done. You have inspired me to really start playing the guitar with artistic passion. I have to be your biggest fan below 16. I mean I have Vai desktop backgrounds (computer and cell phone), Vai ringtones, Vai music on my MySpace, all Vai DVD's, all CD's, etc, etc.

Please come back to Memphis! I saw your show back in March, but this was before I really got acquainted with your material. Surprisingly, you have a large fan base of people my age (12-14) in the area. I remember standing on the front row. Some other guy let my friend and I take his place, and he said, "Here boys, this is a once in a life time opportunity. You don't want to miss this." Well he was right. I will never forget that concert. My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed the show and we wish you would come back as soon as possible here to Memphis.

Anyways, I just wanted to say a late thank-you for everything you've done.

Thanks,
Wade, your number one 13 year old fan
stu_hig

Yeah, it would be intresting to see how many Vai fans are under 16. I'm 15 myself and basically no one I know my age is into Vai or instrumental rock in general.

Funny, today a friend of mine was showing me his work from his art class and he had drawn a Jem! But he said he didn't like Vai. Don't worry I'll convert him! :)
wadso_

stu_hig wrote:Yeah, it would be intresting to see how many Vai fans are under 16. I'm 15 myself and basically no one I know my age is into Vai or instrumental rock in general.
I'm 14 and in the same situation as you are! NO ONE knows about Vai :shock:
waylay00
Newcomer

I think there are more people who like him than you think, but are afraid to tell anyone. For instance, yesterday, I started playing "For the Love of God" in music class, and one kid goes, "You like Steve Vai?!?!".
lydian7

waylay00 wrote:I think there are more people who like him than you think, but are afraid to tell anyone. For instance, yesterday, I started playing "For the Love of God" in music class, and one kid goes, "You like Steve Vai?!?!".
Some people's musical tastes take longer to mature than others. I didn't get into Streve Vai until I was 15, before then all I'd listen to were bands like Pantera, Machine Head, Rage Against the Machine et al.

Kids just follow whatever trend is 'in' at the time, because it's important at that age to claim at identity - to belong to a collective. It's as much as a fashion thing as it is a musical one unfortunately. I was never like that though.
Prezidentman

I remember listeting to Passion&Warfare when I was about 7 or 8 years young and even then I actually liked it..but it also had to do with the fact that I had been exposed to this kind of music all my life, therefore I knew about all these artits already. I find that a lot of young people [in my area] are simply unaware of guys like Steve Vai...once I introduce his music to them, most of the times they end up being a fan, even if all the music they listened to so far was some basic rock or pop groups. 8)
mental speedin

i got into vai about 14, but now im 17. iv seen him once before n im gonna see him again 2night.....woo hoo