Vai with Dev - Synchestra

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
gargendie

Vai with Dev - Synchestra

#1 Post by gargendie » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:26 pm

From http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/ ...

STRAPPING YOUNG LAD frontman Devin Townsend recently spoke to MTV.com about the recently completed new album from DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND, "Synchestra", due in February/March via InsideOut.

"Strangely enough, this is the first record I've done that was made to [be] enjoyed," Townsend said. "I'm expecting people to hate [this music], because it's really sensitive and heavy and epic, and everything's really pleasing about it. I don't know how many people want to listen to pleasing music. A lot of people are still into being assaulted every time they turn on their stereo. Those people will think it's a wussy, pain-in-the-ass record. People who're sick of dudes yelling at them will love it."

Still, he added, "It's super fucking heavy — like bludgeoningly heavy. But they're all bludgeoningly heavy lullabies. This is a record you can put on that'll make you feel good. It's like a celebration — something you put on in the morning, or when you want to sing along and laugh and smile, but still have it so heavy that when you crank it up, it will level any of your death-metal competition."

Songtitles set to appear on "Synchestra" include "Let It Roll", "Hyper-Geek", "Notes From Africa", "Judgment", "A Simple Lullaby" and "Sunshine and Happiness". Six of the album's 13 cuts clock in at or just under 10 minutes and one features a guest appearance by guitarist Steve Vai (Townsend sang on Vai's 1993 album, "Sex & Religion").

"I love writing music and songs, but I'm getting more and more tired of playing guitar and singing," Townsend told MTV.com. "There's this big long part I'd written for this solo, and sometimes, I'm in the headspace for guitar and other times, I'm just not. Right now I'm not. I just couldn't give a fuck. So I gave [Vai] a call."

Naffis-kun

#2 Post by Naffis-kun » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:04 am

Cool! They still keep in touch with each other.

Yeah. Synchestra is a must for me.

stu_hig

#3 Post by stu_hig » Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:20 am

Awesome! Been looking forward the the new Dev album. Sounds really good. And Vai will make it that bit better! :)

Proview

#4 Post by Proview » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:25 am

I think Sex & Religion is Vai's worst album by far. Mostly because Townsend sang in it :cry:

Prezidentman

#5 Post by Prezidentman » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:48 am

Awesome!! It's about time they did something together again...I think people will definitely appreciate this a lot more now than during the S&R days, when no one had really understood what kind of a brillant maniac Devin was and is. :twisted: though it's just one song, but who knows, maybe they'll end working on something bigger in the future.

fyrie

#6 Post by fyrie » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:58 am

NICE! I can't wait! I love Dev's solo stuff because it's heavy, yet can be happy and sonically striking. Don't ge me wrong - I think SYL is great but I love it when people make really blisteringly heavy music that isn't dark and angry. The new Sevendust album has a few moments like that.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#7 Post by Mikey » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:59 am

The solo Steve is working on for this album is AMAZING.

Mikey :)
vai.com

Prezidentman

#8 Post by Prezidentman » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:16 pm

Mikey wrote:The solo Steve is working on for this album is AMAZING.

vai.com
You must really like teasing us, right :)

Naffis-kun

#9 Post by Naffis-kun » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:04 am

I think Sex & Religion is Vai's worst album by far. Mostly because Townsend sang in it
What?! How come?
Townsend is a better singer than Vai. But I guess it's just that some people want to hear Steve sing the songs in his own albums.

Proview

#10 Post by Proview » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:39 am

Well you basically said it already, I just find SR too agressive. :roll:

badasstommyboy

#11 Post by badasstommyboy » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:57 am

i never understand why people bash S&R - its one of my fave vai albums, and Devin Townsends voice is fantastic.

Prezidentman

#12 Post by Prezidentman » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:04 am

Proview wrote:Well you basically said it already, I just find SR too agressive. :roll:
I thought so too, but that was about 10 years ago...since then, in the last few years, I've really started to "understand" the album and I think it's awesome, there's so much really deep stuff on it, so intense..and I still find it fresh after all this time..that's why I'm really looking forward to Steve and Dev doing this song.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#13 Post by Mikey » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:26 am

Prezidentman wrote:
Mikey wrote:The solo Steve is working on for this album is AMAZING.

vai.com
You must really like teasing us, right :)
Sorry - don't mean to tease at all. Just alerting you to something you'll want to check out when it's released.

Personally, I find this solo to be one of Steve's best.

vai.com

Neube

#14 Post by Neube » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:56 am

I Think that S&R is the best album Vai's ever made. Tha band is fantastic, the songs and lyrics are great and the solos are not of this world. Since it was released it's always with me. I have it at home, a japanese version in my car and a copy at work.
I think that although it's a very agressive record it's so well arranged that when you're about to lose control it hits you with a melody capable of make you love the whole world around you.
Simply the best.
:lol:
Neube

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#15 Post by Mikey » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:07 am

Proview wrote:I think Sex & Religion is Vai's worst album by far. Mostly because Townsend sang in it :cry:
Wow - it's too bad you feel that way. When I had the pleasure of meeting Devin, I was really in awe. He is one of the most unique and gifted musicians I can think of, and his voice is beautiful and has such variety.

When I listen to Devin's work, I'm moved.

vai.com