Steve Vai added to progarchives.com!

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
SBarrett

Steve Vai added to progarchives.com!

#1 Post by SBarrett » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:37 pm

I just checked in the website for updates on awesome progressive bands. First I ran into John Petrucci. I thought "cool, he's added as a solo artist... afterall he was in Dream Theater." Then I thought, "Maybe I can find Steve Vai..." So I did find him. Afterall, he did work with Frank Zappa...who, in fact, is listed under the Fusion roster.

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive ... nd_id=1830

I think this is cool! Please comment If you would. :wink:

-Sean

Real_Confusions

#2 Post by Real_Confusions » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:40 am

That's a pretty good biography. It seems to cover the main points in Vai's life.

I wonder why Robert Fripp is mentioned as a notable G3er?

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#3 Post by Mikey » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:44 am

The website links to "www.vai.vom"...

Naffis-kun

#4 Post by Naffis-kun » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:02 am

LMAO!
Let's all .vom IT!

SBarrett

#5 Post by SBarrett » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:12 am

Mikey wrote:The website links to "www.vai.vom"...
:lol: I just noticed that.
We might want to talk to the editor about that :wink:
If you noticed, Steve Vai was spelled Steve Vau under the Flexible information. There are some clarifications needed.

Robert Fripp was mentioned since he is a well-known progressive guitarist... afterall, progarchive.com focuses on progressive musicians, they wouldn't take the time to mention Eric Johnson, Paul Gilbert, or Kenny Wayne Shepard, since they aren't progressive really. Robert Fripp is a big name in prog since he's involved in King Crimson (symphonic prog).
Steve worked with many progressive artists. Frank Zappa, Billy Sheehan (Niacin), Tony Macalpine (Planet X), Virgil Donati (Planet X), Robert Fripp in G3 (KingCrimson), John Petrucci in G3 (Dream Theater), Terry Bozzio, Devin Townsend, Randy Coven (Ark), Steve Morse in G3 (Dixie Dregs), ect.

The Prez

#6 Post by The Prez » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:05 pm

Real_Confusions wrote:That's a pretty good biography. It seems to cover the main points in Vai's life.

WHy not?

Real_Confusions

#7 Post by Real_Confusions » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:47 pm

The Prez wrote:
Real_Confusions wrote:That's a pretty good biography. It seems to cover the main points in Vai's life.

WHy not?
It just seems like all the Fripp reviews I read from G3 were bad ones.

Vaiper

#8 Post by Vaiper » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:52 pm

Cos everyone that said he was crap was too afraid to pull thier heads out their asses n listen to something different. Sorry, but when a guy gets bad mouthed for doing something different, even though hes a living legend, that really pisses me off.

Real_Confusions

#9 Post by Real_Confusions » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:55 pm

Vaiper wrote:Cos everyone that said he was crap was too afraid to pull thier heads out their asses n listen to something different. Sorry, but when a guy gets bad mouthed for doing something different, even though hes a living legend, that really pisses me off.
Yeah, I kinda wish that there was a DVD of that tour. That way I could see the concert for myself.

little green ghloe

#10 Post by little green ghloe » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:24 pm

hey that is a pretty good bio.

BoonDog

#11 Post by BoonDog » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:10 am

The thing i found about frip during the G3 tour; he was almost annonimous - you would never of known he was their. I was at the manchester Gig and Vai openned the night; satch followed; then all three of the jammed. He sat at the back near Coulsen - & sat in the shadows- just supporting the rest of the gang. I think he did 1 or 2 KC songs; with Satch and Vai taking the lead.
Then when the autograph hunters waited 2hrs after the gig (me) Fripp ignored the lot of us.

For a "legend" he needs to remember where he comes from and who put him there = the Fans.

King Crimson were great, but Fripp i am afraid to say was annonimous. I was looking forward to seeing the legend but nothing happened there. From most of the reviews i read, most said exactly the same thing. Maybe he does not need anymore fans or anymore people buying their records.
He didnt play rubbish, but then again you couldnt tell if he was playing at all.

If i remember correctly Vai had to write a note all fans on the notice board - to remind them of his (fripps) past and not to pass judgement on him whilst the tour was still in progress.
This in my opinion shows that there was a feeling of disatisfaction with fripps overall performance this includes the hardcore king crimson fans.

I cannot deny; nor pretend that he doesnt belong in the list , because he does, but he didnt capitalie on the opportunity went it was presented to him.

Regards

Boondog