Steve Vai on John5's new album!

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Vegas_Blues

Steve Vai on John5's new album!

#1 Post by Vegas_Blues » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:59 am

Hey everyone,

Mike Varney gave me a copy of John5's new album, Songs for Sanity, (will be released on September 13th, 2005) and it features the playing of Steve Vai on track 11, called "Perineum." Steve's guitar work on this song is brilliant, check it out......oh.....and John5 is really good too :)

Naffis-kun

#2 Post by Naffis-kun » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:38 am

John5? The guitarist from Marilyn Manson?
No I don't think he's good.

Instrumentalrockrocks
Location: Rotterdam - Holland (well not really Oud-Beijerland actually but nobody knows that)

#3 Post by Instrumentalrockrocks » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:44 am

Naffis-kun wrote:John5? The guitarist from Marilyn Manson?
At first I thought that too.

But after discovering him I found out he's kinda good only I still some sort of agree he's a loser with his stupid image....

He just should make a chose...

OR be a virtuoso...

OR be a stupid looking guy who's trying to be cool with his image and try to be popular and make instrumental death metal economical interesting and stuff...

AND NOT COMBINE THESE TWO OPTIONS....

Shred On :guitar

mental speedin

#4 Post by mental speedin » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:23 am

john is a gr8 blue grass player n many ppl dont realise this or want to give him the time because of manson but he is gr8 8)

gargendie

#5 Post by gargendie » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:24 am

Naffis-kun wrote:John5? The guitarist from Marilyn Manson?
Have you heard him outside of Manson?Like him or not the guy is good.Bluegrass metal something different for once.Go to his website and check out the samples.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#6 Post by Mikey » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:14 am

Instrumentalrockrocks wrote:
Naffis-kun wrote:Nothing of substance
Something of even less substance
Have you guys ever heard the expression "Don't judge a book by its cover?"

John 5 has had a very diverse career playing for some very big names including k.d. lang, David Lee Roth, Rob Halford (on the Trent Reznor-produced album "Two") and yes, Marilyn Manson. To dismiss him because of his time working with Manson is incredibly short-sighted. He is an amazing player and worthy of more attention. What he's doing with his albums is original and a much needed breath of fresh air.

"He looks like a loser? He should choose between being a virtuoso or a guy trying to be cool with a stupid image?" Oh Man... :roll:

Sometimes words fail me... I just wonder how some people even became Vai fans with such closed-minded attitudes...

Mikey
vai.com

Gary2005

#7 Post by Gary2005 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:22 am

Well said Mikey =) John5 is great.

cbr1000f

#8 Post by cbr1000f » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:44 am

Mikey wrote:
"He looks like a loser? He should choose between being a virtuoso or a guy trying to be cool with a stupid image?" Oh Man... :roll:

Sometimes words fail me... I just wonder how some people even became Vai fans with such closed-minded attitudes...

Mikey
vai.com
Well put indeed, Mikey. I never was a fan of Manson but I heard John5 yesterday on Bobo's "on the rocks" (www.boborocks.be) and John's song was certainly one of the highlights of this radioshow!! Great and rather original guitarplaying, made me think of Nuno at a certain point.

Instrumentalrockrocks
Location: Rotterdam - Holland (well not really Oud-Beijerland actually but nobody knows that)

#9 Post by Instrumentalrockrocks » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:54 am

Mikey wrote:
Naffis-kun wrote:Nothing of substance
Something of even less substance
Have you guys ever heard the expression "Don't judge a book by its cover?"

John 5 has had a very diverse career playing for some very big names including k.d. lang, David Lee Roth, Rob Halford (on the Trent Reznor-produced album "Two") and yes, Marilyn Manson. To dismiss him because of his time working with Manson is incredibly short-sighted. He is an amazing player and worthy of more attention. What he's doing with his albums is original and a much needed breath of fresh air.

Mikey
vai.com
Well,

Allright, I was wrong to say that....

I made a mistake sorry for that...

I've been a bit to hard with my words.....

But I don't know how to say this exactly in english...

For me it's really hard to express my opinion and feelings about someone in english....

So don't be to hard for me Mikey....I'm just a simple boy from Holland and maybe I just didn't really thought much about I said..... :roll:

His music is just a bit TO hard for me...

AND I just don't like his image....

He's not.... well...uhhhh normal guy enough for me...

I just like guitarists when they're normal and nice guys....

Well let's say it like this:

I like his technique and how he decided to make a VERY different instrumental cd....

BUT

I can't compare him with Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci or Andy Timmons or something...

He's just to different for me.... and his music to agressive..

Maybe you can forgive me :wink: ??

Vegas_Blues

#10 Post by Vegas_Blues » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:39 am

John is also a very cool down to earth guy....and yes, he has an impressive resume. As far as his image goes....how can you be a Steve Vai fan and not appreciate theatrics and messing with an image.....Vai painted himself CHROME.......and wears headsets with lights on them, blindfolds, crazy out-fits.......

Come on, don't be such a hypocrit....
And John5 is a really great player with some original ideas. AND, I think MM is a brilliant musician also.

Anyhow, just 2 more cents....ty for chiming in Mikey ;)

Moderator777

#11 Post by Moderator777 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:51 am

John 5 is a great guitar player, and unique in his own way. A friend of mine told me he had a copy of his album. I only knew him from his previous work from Manson so I kind of rolled my eyes. He played the first track off the album and ordered myself a copy of Vertigo within the hour.

Check his stuff out.

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com

Falcon Wing
Newcomer

#12 Post by Falcon Wing » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:07 pm

I saw M.Manson in San Antonio on the "Dope Show"" tour and when they played "Beautiful People" Manson was swinging his mic stand around and then let it fly and it NAILED John in the head and knocked him flat....he had to get a load of stitches after the show. The cool part was that John NEVER stopped playing!
Say what you want about Manson, but he sure puts a lot into his live show. (mic concussions aside)

Instrumentalrockrocks

#13 Post by Instrumentalrockrocks » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:35 am

Falcon Wing wrote:I saw M.Manson in San Antonio on the "Dope Show"" tour and when they played "Beautiful People" Manson was swinging his mic stand around and then let it fly and it NAILED John in the head and knocked him flat....he had to get a load of stitches after the show. The cool part was that John NEVER stopped playing!
Sorry but I really think that's idiot...

That's just not normal...

davester1234

#14 Post by davester1234 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:08 am

Falcon Wing wrote:I saw M.Manson in San Antonio on the "Dope Show"" tour and when they played "Beautiful People" Manson was swinging his mic stand around and then let it fly and it NAILED John in the head and knocked him flat....he had to get a load of stitches after the show. The cool part was that John NEVER stopped playing!
Sorry but I really think that's idiot...

That's just not normal...

Sounds pretty professional of John to me. :)

Vaiper

#15 Post by Vaiper » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 am

Have any of you guys that are dissing him heard his solo material?