How many of you have had the pleasures.............

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.

Have you ever met Steve Vai?

Yes
13%
Yes
13%
Yes
13%
Yes
13%
No
5%
No
5%
No
5%
No
5%
I've seen him on TV..........
2%
2%
2%
2%
Wha? Who? Why am I even on this forum?
1%
1%
1%
1%
I've met someone called Steve, but it wasn't Steve Vai.
4%
4%
4%
4%

Total votes: 296

jemke

#31 Post by jemke » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:22 pm

I've met Steve during(!) the ultrazone tour in Belgium. I think Steve liked my air-guitar-playing so that he took me onstage during a song. Never had so much adrenaline in my body!
I was freaking out on his guitar-improvisation while Steve was enjoying to see me going wild on his notes I guess! Very cool and unique experience.

After the show he recognized me and we talked and took pictures! :D

The Prez

#32 Post by The Prez » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:42 pm

Ive seen him in concert, thats good enough.

BoonDog

Airplay

#33 Post by BoonDog » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:02 am

I wish i could of seen you air guitar live on stage with Vai. That would not only of soooo cooool but would of been very funny.

? ? ? I wish i could of played air Guitar on stage with vai ! ! ! ! !

Congrats on that that is way above most others in my opinion, although everyones counts to their own personal experiances.

Maybe if i can AIR DRUM i can play with J Coulsen!

Can you imagine AIR Piano at a Jean Michel Jarr Concert or AIR Voilin at a vanessa Mae Concert! Maybe we should start and AIR orchestra.

Could be world renowned artist's!

How Cool!

Regards

Boondog!

BajoElSol

#34 Post by BajoElSol » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:04 pm

I believe I say Steve once of TV, but I'm not sure if it was him or Joe. Maybe it was Joe

Bajo

pkurzweil
Newcomer

Meeting Vai after a Zappa show in 1981

#35 Post by pkurzweil » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:26 pm

No one knew who Steve Vai was before the show. After the show, everyone wanted to know.

I distinctly remember him wearing a red satin baseball cap with devil horns on it.

I remember him playing guitar parts that seemed...well...impossible, for lack of a better term.

I remember him abusing the snot out of the whammy bar on a strat-looking thing that wasn't a Strat (it was the Performance, I found out later).

Frank sat down on a stool during most of the show. After the show, two of us went around the back of the theather to see who we could meet (hey, we were 16). We interrupted Ray White, leaning on a limousine, trying to score on some groupie! He was happy to sign autographs. When he signed one for me, he looked at it for a moment, and said "Wait a minute, you can't read that" and then proceeded to sign his name again, this time very neatly. It's on the back of a school hall pass.

We asked him politely if he could see if Steve would be willing to come out and talk (after all, the groupie wasn't going anywhere), and sure enough he was. Steve came out and shook hands and sat right down on the cement loading dock, lit a Marlboro 100, and chatted to us for about 20 minutes...about how he came to play with Zappa, where he was from (which freaked me out since I'm from around there too), etc. He was super nice.

Eventually one of us had to ask him if Frank could come out for a minute. Steve said probably not...Frank had the stomach flu (which explains why he sat down during most of the show!) but he took our pen and paper, went backstage, and got Frank's scrawl for us. It was beautiful.

Real_Confusions

Re: Meeting Vai after a Zappa show in 1981

#36 Post by Real_Confusions » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:27 pm

pkurzweil wrote:No one knew who Steve Vai was before the show. After the show, everyone wanted to know.

I distinctly remember him wearing a red satin baseball cap with devil horns on it.

I remember him playing guitar parts that seemed...well...impossible, for lack of a better term.

I remember him abusing the snot out of the whammy bar on a strat-looking thing that wasn't a Strat (it was the Performance, I found out later).

Frank sat down on a stool during most of the show. After the show, two of us went around the back of the theather to see who we could meet (hey, we were 16). We interrupted Ray White, leaning on a limousine, trying to score on some groupie! He was happy to sign autographs. When he signed one for me, he looked at it for a moment, and said "Wait a minute, you can't read that" and then proceeded to sign his name again, this time very neatly. It's on the back of a school hall pass.

We asked him politely if he could see if Steve would be willing to come out and talk (after all, the groupie wasn't going anywhere), and sure enough he was. Steve came out and shook hands and sat right down on the cement loading dock, lit a Marlboro 100, and chatted to us for about 20 minutes...about how he came to play with Zappa, where he was from (which freaked me out since I'm from around there too), etc. He was super nice.

Eventually one of us had to ask him if Frank could come out for a minute. Steve said probably not...Frank had the stomach flu (which explains why he sat down during most of the show!) but he took our pen and paper, went backstage, and got Frank's scrawl for us. It was beautiful.
Vai---an errand boy?! Outrageous! :P

BoonDog

WTF!

#37 Post by BoonDog » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:59 pm

I believe that was heiracy! :twisted:

Steve is no errand boy- ! :idea:

"here steve will you get frank to come out and meet us and sign some stuff"
"no sorry frank is poorly with a tummy bug"
"well dont just stand there; go get his signiture, and bring my friend a glass of water cos he is thirsty - and be quick abuot it cos we gotta get the last bus; bitch!"
"OK"

Steve Smokes? :shock:

Next you will be telling me he has thrown televisions out of hotel windows and slept with a thousand groupies, I know that being part the DLR group must of thrown up some outragous stuff but i cannot imagine steve partaking in it.

Regards

Boondog

pkurzweil
Newcomer

Re: WTF!

#38 Post by pkurzweil » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:16 am

BoonDog wrote:I believe that was heiracy! :twisted:

Steve is no errand boy- ! :idea:

Steve Smokes? :shock:

Boondog
You sillies.

He was more than happy to go backstage for us. No errand there.

He was only a few years older than me, maybe 20, and FZ was his idol. So he used to smoke. Big deal. As I remember, he turned down smoking something else. :twisted:

resha

#39 Post by resha » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:22 am

Met Him lots of time... on the screen :cry: :cry: :cry:

But I'll meet Him on sept 25th at Milan!

AWWWWWWWWWW YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS :P :P :P

Ekim

#40 Post by Ekim » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:50 pm

After the G3 w/ YJM, I met Steve at the aftershow. He told me that he usually picks out one member of the audience and plays to that person and focuses on them.

I have had the pleasure of Steve telling me that it was me for that show.

After the last tour he told me "thank you" for enjoying his show so much.

I've met him six times and he's been so cool every time. The first time was a little promo show in Chicago. He was sick as a dog, but still signed autographs forever.

Looking forward to many more years of Vai-isms.