Recurring Themes

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
spawn2048

Hi

I dont know if anyone has noticed this, but throughout the 30 or so years that Vai has had a career in music (correct me if I'm wrong about the time) a few riffs and licks pop up several times, possibly in different keys and different speeds but the similarities are still noticable. An example is the starting riff on 'Wire and Wood' (I think) is also played at the end of 'Answers', also, the vocal melody in 'Selfless Love' sounds remarkably similar to 'Light of the Moon' and 'Devils Food' sounds like an elaboration of part of 'Fire Garden Suite'. I'm sure that there are more but I can't remember them right now

Have any of you guys noticed these recurring themes, and others? And, has any one got an explanation for them? I'm sure it can't be because Steve runs out of inspiration, the day that happens is the say Satan ice-skates to work.
Henrique Henriques

I think he does that on purpose! I guess it's the same principal that you use when improvising... you play a theme of a song just to mention it or to make a ode to the song or the composer! Just like the ending to Die to Live...he pays "tribute" to Joe's Summer Song! 8)
Fabe

The thing with Devil's Food though is that that was the live performance of the Fire Garden Suite (or part of it) and it only was renamed to Devil's Food from Angel's Food because of the string breakage...

But I agree: There are a lot of recurring themes or tiny little snipits in Steve's work. At least he's creative in repeating them not like Santana who found one cool sounding lick and incorporates it in every song he releases (licks from Smooth turn up all over the new songs nowadays... :roll: )

Fabe
Grandor

Ive noticed some stuff like that in his music, i have 3 songs where he does the same riff for about 10 secs in different keys...

Its called a trick bag.
when your not really feeling the music but have to shred.
you dive into your bag of tricks
Nick.

the beginning of some song of ultra zone (i cant remember which) is the end of the the murder of christian somethings mother

and "here and now" and "here i am"
saivai

he even uses some zappa licks
with permissioin of course
Viper

I vaguely remember something where Steve mentioned that a melody in answers was a sorta signature melody for him.
Reaper

saivai wrote:he even uses some zappa licks
with permissioin of course
does he hold a seance?
saivai

does he hold a seance?[/quote]

:D

not with franks permission bozzo

with the zappa family trusts permission look at the alive in an ultraworld cd booklet under the song devils food

he mentiond the uae of one of zappas melodies (forgot which and i cant find my bleedin cd)

so stop p***ing me off
saivai

the zappa melody he uses is the one from "Dog/Meat"
Artanis I

Nick. wrote:the beginning of some song of ultra zone (i cant remember which) is the end of the the murder of christian somethings mother

The Mysterious Murder of Christian Tiera's Lover (great track!).

One I noticed, the ends of Little Green Men and Answers. Can't think of any others off the top of my head...
Tom

Noticed this one yesterday, the fast playing in the opening to "Speed" has a strong similarity to the solo line in "Down Deep Into the Pain."
Junebughunter

I think a better example of these themes and licks going from song to song is Dream Theater,

Just listen to Scenes from a memory, you will also hear all sorts of things through out all of there albums that are repetative...

I like to think of it this way, vocalists use the same words a lot, and when you have no vocals, the guitar is going to use the same notes too. I mean there are only so many combinations of notes, plus I think it is cool how certain licks sound in different songs
badhorsie551

Junebughunter wrote:I think a better example of these themes and licks going from song to song is Dream Theater,

Just listen to Scenes from a memory, you will also hear all sorts of things through out all of there albums that are repetative...

I like to think of it this way, vocalists use the same words a lot, and when you have no vocals, the guitar is going to use the same notes too. I mean there are only so many combinations of notes, plus I think it is cool how certain licks sound in different songs

remember though that scenes from a memory is a concept album based upon metropolis part 1. the similiar vocal melodies/guitar riffs/drums are supposed to be there to add continuity into the music.

dream theater's other albums dont share similiarity to each other at all.
Junebughunter

Nick. wrote:the beginning of some song of ultra zone (i cant remember which) is the end of the the murder of christian somethings mother

The song you are talking about is "The Ultra Zone" I believe, with the machine works kind of sound.