The Next Tour - You Tell Us...

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Steve is starting to think seriously about the next tour and stage performance. He would like to know from you what you like about the shows, and would like to see more of and what you don't like and can use without.
  • He would like to know how you feel about high energy songs compared to ballads;
  • Would you like to hear more vocal songs? Less vocal songs?
  • Is the concert too long, usually it's way over 2 hours?
  • What songs would you like to hear?
  • Is there enough merch and what would you like to have made available.
He is also looking for interesting ideas that include audience participation to be included in the show.

Steve wants the next tour and show to be something that you will never forget...

8)
Last edited by Mikey on Sun May 22, 2005 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ricky Garcia

1. aftershow or even better VIP pass raffels. Satriani has somethng like that for every show.

2. Backstage video tour like dreamtheater does on their website right now.

About the show itself? Well Steve is pretty much the perfection of a great stage show in person so there is not much you can change. :)

Audience participation?

Yeah my biggest dream is to jam or maybe play rhytm guitar for a song with him on stage... what bigger dream could you have???
markmcg

<snip>
  • He would like to know how you feel about high energy songs compared to ballads;
Personally I love the balance of a high energy songs intermingled with ballads. Gotta have a rest after all that jumping around ;).
A Vai concert could never be too long! (well for the fans I imagine the band might get knackered ;) ).Just over 2 hours is about right for me.
The songs that were performed on the Ultra World tour were perfect, fantastic gig ( I fondly recall 'Tender Surrender'...what a piece of music). Maybe next time around would be great to hear 'Frank', and of course some new material :).
DVDs/Vids? Picks? and a Vai mug ;)
He is also looking for interesting ideas that include audience participation to be included in the show.
I think Ricky hit the proverbial nail on the head regarding on stage jammin, would simply be mind blowing and quite frankly 'trouser fillingily scary'.

What about Freddie Mercury style crowd echoing of melodies played by Dr Vai on the ol guitar?

Cheers
Mark.
Word

Jamming on stage would be a major dream come true! 8) :D

I would love for Steve to have at least half ballads, half high energy songs.. or a little bit more high energy songs that ballads. I'm going to catch Steve on his next tour, and it will be my first concert! :D

Oh, and Steve? For God's Sake, PLEASE come to New Orleans to a place that I don't have to sneak in and act like I'm old enough to go the club! I could do that though if I really erm.. wanted to .. because many have mistaken me for being in college.. even though it's illegal.. but darn well worth it! ;) haha

Seriously, though.. it'd be cool to see you down here in the south more often. You played down here right in Mississippi near the city I live in right now, the day or the day before I was born, I believe it was the same year as well.. but not too sure. You were with David Lee Roth.

Come on down again, man.. we'll take you out to eat.. show you some of that southern hospitality.. and since you're italian, how about the Olive Garden?! :lol: :wink: :D
Reaper

Mikey wrote:
A mix of both. Being that I'm 17, I tend to go for the high-energy stuff, and I think it's necessary for a rock show. On the other hand, it wouldn't be the same if he were to drop FTLOG...
Mikey wrote:
  • Would you like to hear more vocal songs? Less vocal songs?
Doesn't really matter to me... whatever rocks.
Mikey wrote:
It's never too long... :D
Mikey wrote:
hmm... if Steve's taking a singer, I'd say Yankee Rose, FTLOG, The Reaper (go figure), Answers, the Attitude Song, and what the hell: Little Green Men.
Mikey wrote:
Personally, I'm a bit of t-shirt fiend, so more of those would be really cool.
jenarom

Cool! I've been to 4 Vai shows (G3 96, Vai 99, G3 01, G3 02), and they were amazing! Specially 2+ hours of Vai only!

Answering your questions, Mike:

1. I love the ballads, so I think a 50/50 mix would be right.
2. Less vocal songs. I would like to hear "Alive in an Ultra World".
3. As for the duration, less than 2 hours would be a crime. :wink: I would like between 2.5 and 3 hrs. Of course I could stand for more, but we also have to think that Vai, the band and the crew would do this many times during the tour and they will have to endure all those hours.
4. Songs I haven't heard live, but would like to hear: Touching Tongues, Melissa's Garden, Boston Rain Melody, Being With You, Principessa, Lucky Charms, Frank, Die to Live, Fire Garden Suite, Crying Machine, The Riddle, The Audience is Listening, Little Green Men, Viv Woman, Call It Sleep.
5. Merchandise: tshirts, special unreleased music (or alternate tracks or live recordings) on cd, picks.

In addition, I would like Steve to give away aftershow passes. That would be the best way to end a show, to go meet him.

As for how Steve conducts the show, I think he is one of the best performances I've seen. Something that I've enjoyed throughly, and I think is one of the greatest differentiators for Steve, is his contact with the audience. In the last 3 shows I've attended, I've been in front row, right in front of Steve. It's amazing how wonderful a show is when you have direct eye contact with Steve. He looks directly to you, teases you, plays a couple of notes for you, or do something crazy for you. He does it with everyone that he can see, that's why its imperative that I always be in front row.

For me, this is one of the most important things in a Steve Vai show. I've seen Satriani 4 times also, and although he is an amazing guitarist, he doesn't have much contact with the audience. I took my wife to a G3 show, and although she generally like the music, she was kind of bore through the show, but with the Steve Vai set she was freaked out! She was like: "OMG, he looked at me and told me something!" "He played those notes just for me!!!" At the end, she told me: "Take me to a Vai only show, next time".

I'm looking forward to the new album and tour. I'm excited to know that Steve got the inspiration for his new album while on tour in Mexico. Remember that letter at vai.com about Steve attending an Argentinian show called "De La Guarda" while he was in Mexico City? Some month later I went to some event, and they presented a short version of the "De La Guarda" show. All the while I was thinking about Steve's new album. And months later, after reading in vai.com that Steve is inviting guest guitarists for his album, maybe his tour will have some surprises. Cool!
rfb
Newcomer

I really like the vocal songs; I certainly don't think there were too many the last couple of tours, and I would love there to be more.

"Too long" does not compute. The longer you play, the happier I'll be.

Favourite Vai tine I've never seen live: any of the vocal songs from Sex and Religion, but especially Pig. This could be difficult to actually perform, though :shock:.

Since the word is that Devin and Steve are doing some work on each other's new albums, and on his last tour Devin was fronting two sets a night by different band, the coolest thing I can imagine would be the Devin Townsend band supporting the Vai band, and Devin coming out to sing some stuff during Steve's set.

I'm sure it's not likely, but I'm twitching just at the thought :D!

- rfb

Hey Mikey and People,

I think the most important thing about this tour, is for it to come to Australia. :D
He would like to know how you feel about high energy songs compared to ballads;
I think a ratio of 5:1, works. 5 high energy ; 1 ballad
10 HE ; 2 ballads etc.
Steve paces his shows really nicely, IMO.
Would you like to hear more vocal songs? Less vocal songs?
I prefer less vocal songs, did Paganini sing?
(Seriously did he, becuase I don't know:)))
Is the concert too long, usually it's way over 2 hours?
I don't think that Steve could play too long, ever!
Rock shows are meant to be a journey, and Steve provides that.
The length is very necessary!!
What songs would you like to hear?
I'd like to hear "Theme From The 3rd Movement of Sinister Footwear".
Steve hasn't been to Australia since the UZ tour, so if my info is out of date please forgive me, but I'd also like DLR and even Alcatrazz material, it was all great and I'd love to hear it live.
Maybe a medley/jam on DLR material, with all the solos included, of course!
Is there enough merch and what would you like to have made available.
I'd like some weird and useful stuff. What is that?
I don't know, just unique and cool. A one off that you can only get a a Steve Vai show and you can show your grandkids it because it was so awesome. Not your usual merch stuff that's for sure.
Definitley have loose easy fitting Martian suits at hand, hand out numbered tickets on entry.
2 winners get to go backstage after the show. If and only if they put on the martian garb and dance like ompaloompas on stage during one of Steve's 7/8 songs :) :) :)

Regards,

Chris.
dex

rfb wrote:"Too long" does not compute. The longer you play, the happier I'll be.
well said and if he goes for a little rest maybe Mike can play/sing something on the piano.
Either a Zappa song or do version of FTLOG on the piano (Kenny, post a link to your verson) which I'm sure he can pull off.
He is going to book Mike for the tour, right?
rfb wrote:the coolest thing I can imagine would be the Devin Townsend band supporting the Vai band, and Devin coming out to sing some stuff during Steve's set.
I'm not so sure about Devin but Mike can sing the bits if Steve needs to concentrate on them fast runs that he does so well. :D
I know I asked before but he is going to take Mike on tour, right?
*keeping my fingers and toes crossed*

I would love a variety of T-shirts and if it's posible go for the minimalist/classy look as oposite to the dated "Front of album artwork on a black t-shirt" thing.
Something like a "green meanie" on the front with tour dates on the back or "vained" or "evailution" or "vainatic" or "vairtuoso".
Or how about a print of the very cool photo of that hands cast(inprint) that Steve did with the sixt finger.............and hopefully by now all of you know why I'm not in advertising :lol:

ilia

p.s. Vai Halen on a front of a t-shirt anyone :D
p.p.s and 51777 on the back..........no...... :roll:

Hey RFB and Ilia and People,
dex wrote: He is going to book Mike for the tour, right?
The tour with Tony MacAlpine didn't come to OZ, and after Steve, Tony is the man.
To see Tony and Steve and Billy all together. Wow, man.
That's what I want to see !!!

Regards,

Chris.
Ant711UK

Steve can basically perform whatever he wants for as long as he wants in a hall with any of us forum members watching. Don't forget he is 'THE MAN' where most of us are concerned. He could sing and play BAA BAA BLACK SHEEP and most likely floor the lot of us with a superb Vaiesque rendition.

If he's out to extend his audience with the new album & tour, he may want to go for more vocal stuff. Personally I love hearing the tracks I play in my car, day in day out at a gig. So a mix of new an older stuff for me.

It's 'gonna be loud' anyway :wink:
Allen Garrow

I would say the length of the show at 2 hours is good,,,,Just leave it open to play longer if the feel is there.

A high energy mix with Ballads and vocal songs is great. There are alot of musicians at these shows. There needs to be a good mix showing all the sides of Steve.

Energy level, performance! Whoa! Steve has it all, eye contact, sincerity mood. Performance? Wouldn't change a thing,,,just keep doing what you doing!

Raffles, good idea!

Small venues like "Humpreys on the bay!" There wasn't a bad seat in the house! Don't get me wrong, Steve in a stadium would be cool,,, But it's not as personal. That is one comment I have heard alot of from Steves shows, Satch shows and Niacin. Small venues, rock! Even non musicians walk away with a better sense of awe and respect from smaller places.

Merchandise! Always need to have more, prices however could be better.

How about 5 bucks for a dozen of them neon picks in heavy!

~A
Fabe

He would like to know how you feel about high energy songs compared to ballads;
I love all his ballads ;). But a good mixture of 1/3 ballads and 2/3 high energy would do just fine.
Would you like to hear more vocal songs? Less vocal songs?
Definitely more vocal songs. Especially "Alive in an Ultra World" and "F@ck yourself" ;)
Is the concert too long, usually it's way over 2 hours?
Too long?? Never, how can this be too long. About 3 hours would be okay, but thats gonna be pretty hard on the band, so about 2,5 hours is just fine :lol:
What songs would you like to hear?
I always wanted to hear Tender Surrender live. Then, hmmmm.... Juice, The Crying machine, Warm Regards, Whispering a Prayer and of course a whole lot from the new album!!
Is there enough merch and what would you like to have made available.
Well, a bottle of that fine honey would be definitely a seller! Some cool shirts (as already mentioned something not just bearing the cover of the recent album, but some true Vai-art like the 7th-Song Cover design...), cd's especially rarities, posters, guitar-pics only available at the gig, and... oh yeah lower prices for the shirts ;)
Giving out his guitar at the end of a gig would be one hell of audience participation :lol:
Steve wants the next tour and show to be something that you will never forget...
Forget a Vai-show?? Never! It was one of the best shows I've ever been to!!

There you go! Think about the honey-idea, Steve!!

Fabe
LeslieM

Hmmm..... First off, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY a Vai show could EVER be too long. I would stand with no food, water, or access to a toilet for 3 days if he was willing to play that long. So 2-3 hours is acceptable. :lol:

As far as merchandise goes I would like to see a shirt that has a smallish Vai logo on it that would pass as ok to wear on a casual Friday at work. Whitesnake had one of these at their last tour. It was $60 (pricey!) but I bought it cuz I can wear it anywhere. (black, long-sleeves with a collar) Another benefit to that type of shirt is that people ask questions..."are they playing again, do they have a new CD out..." It's great advertising and there ain't no body I would rather advertise more than Mr. Vai! I would also like to have a Vai mug or 10 in my cupboard. I could have some tea with some Vai honey in it. :D

Now for the ballads vs. high energy: I think he has the mix down perfectly. For one show in 1999 I took 9 people with me and 4 of them were women (not including me). All of the women thought they weren't gonna have much fun (also not including me..I knew much better!), but with the ballads mixed in with Steve's eye contact and outrageously charming personality, they were completely won over BIG TIME!

I don't really feel like I should comment on what songs to be played. What I want to hear is what Steve wants us to hear. I want an experience created by him. I want to feel the excitement he felt when he first wrote the set list, when he first brought the band in for rehearsal. I want to hear what he thinks would be the perfect show. Now having said all that, since you asked and all, :lol: I wouldn't mind hearing "Boston Rain Melody".

Thanks so much for asking for our opinions! YOU ROCK! Ya, we all knew that already. :D

Much love to all of you out there,
Leslie M.
Fabe

Oh, I forgot: Why not do a poll to vote for a setlist like Satriani did last tour?

fabe