If you had time with Steve....

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
vaigod

If you had time with Steve....

#1 Post by vaigod » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:25 am

Say you were given the opportunity to spend 1 hour with Steve. What would you do? (aside from the obvious like: freaking out)

1. I would have a nice long chat about phrasing.
2. Talk to him briefly about some history (his previous bands,etc)
3. End the hour with a video of him and jamming.

Ah, we can only wish. :)

~D

Now, I am very fortunate to have met him 5-6 times from either backstage, at a bar, or instore appearance so I have already asked the popular questions :)
Last edited by vaigod on Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

BobDaNob

#2 Post by BobDaNob » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:37 am

Just talk and get his honest opinions on things most mags leave alone. :)

chrose1201

#3 Post by chrose1201 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:55 am

Talk about him and his spirituality, all thinges etheral and how a nice young boy from Long Island became the way he is. Then we can talk about me :D

NatiFable

#4 Post by NatiFable » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:40 am

:D Man, I've been lucky enough to spend time after a show with Mr. Vai and Mr. Satriani, on a few occasions. It's strange but I've usually found that with anyone that is new to you, you really don't have much to say! haha I mean, they were always nice and very accomadating but they don't know you from 'Adam' and you really don't know them, even though you may read and see pictures of them everywhere. It's just funny, but when given the opportunity, it's hard to jump into anything other than 'thank you for your music' or try to hit on some topics coming up-like the Grammy's or something-if they're nominated or something.

Think about it: What if your at work/school and someone just walks up to you, knows alot about you and wants to talk about all these things? haha I know I'd be like "What!" haha It's a fun topic but in all honesty, it's hard to really have a nice conversation that doesn't sound like an interview.

peace and light

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#5 Post by Mikey » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:58 am

I'm sure a lot of EVO Experience participants can answer your question :)

Mikey
vai.com

molgolsonden

#6 Post by molgolsonden » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:07 am

I'd take him 4-wheeling through all the unknown trails and roads of the Pocono Mountains. A little "get away from it all" kind of week-end.

munchocruncho

#7 Post by munchocruncho » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:11 pm

Wrestle alligators.
Go streaking.

Hobophobic

#8 Post by Hobophobic » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:04 am

I'm into whitewater kayaking so I'd probably be going on about that after the initial flurry of guitar talk. I tend to do that even with people I don't know. Nothing spiritual like being on a remote creek/river with just a couple close friends and no signs of "civilized life" while the water reminds you that you haven't and never will master it.

Tom Gilroy

#9 Post by Tom Gilroy » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:37 pm

No. I don't think an hour would be much good. I'd need at least two before I'd calm down. Then I think it'd be awesome to jam with him and hear his advise about my playing.

Lucky

#10 Post by Lucky » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:16 pm

munchocruncho wrote:Wrestle alligators.
Little ones? :wink:

alienillusions
Banned

#11 Post by alienillusions » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:21 pm

I'd suckerpunch him in the gut. He really wouldn't be expecting that now, would he? Just kidding....I'd probably say something like..."uh, ummmm, ya yo gaaaaaak?"

Parker_Fly

#12 Post by Parker_Fly » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:40 pm

I was in the evo experience on the 25th of last month and got to talk to steve before the show.. I asked him what it was like taking lessons from Joe and what kind of stuff did he teach Steve and what stuff did steve practice.. Im only 16 and it was amazing to just know that steve really did care about my question and really wanted the whole group to learn, or at least gain something from it all... I dont really feel like saying all of what steve said, because he gave me such an honest and in depth response, but if you ever get any extended period of time where you can not even discuss, just listen to him talk, its quite an amazing look into the mind of a pure genious, and an amazing person in general..

Thanks Steve!

alienillusions
Banned

#13 Post by alienillusions » Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:07 pm

Parker_Fly wrote:I was in the evo experience on the 25th of last month and got to talk to steve before the show.. I asked him what it was like taking lessons from Joe and what kind of stuff did he teach Steve and what stuff did steve practice.. Im only 16 and it was amazing to just know that steve really did care about my question and really wanted the whole group to learn, or at least gain something from it all... I dont really feel like saying all of what steve said, because he gave me such an honest and in depth response, but if you ever get any extended period of time where you can not even discuss, just listen to him talk, its quite an amazing look into the mind of a pure genious, and an amazing person in general..

Thanks Steve!
Oh come on now. Tell us, man!!!

wattam

Spend an hour with Steve

#14 Post by wattam » Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:27 pm

I had the opportunity to visit with Steve at the EVO in March in New Orleans and at an after show in Pensacola a year and a half ago with the G3 tour. What you get when you're with him are honest, insiteful answers to what ever you are curious about. For example, I couldn't decide whether to go to Nashville or Pensacola for the G3 show, but having lived in Nashville, I knew the Ryman Auditorium, where the concert was held, had a lot of wood - wood floors in the audience, wood seats, wood floor on stage - and I thought the sound would be boomy and very loud (a messy loud, if you know what I mean) so I chose Pensacola. At the after show I asked Steve how the sound was at the Ryman and I got a very interesting answer - thoughtful - he actually considered and answered the question. That's what the EVO experience was all about. You could talk about anything and he really revealed himself in the way he answered your questions.

So, if I had an hour with Steve, there are more questions I would like to ask about HIS experience VS ours during a show - what he hears on stage - and then I would really like to talk about the musical direction he is heading in with Real Illusions. It is so deep and so haunting... And then, I would like to hear more about plans he has. At the EVO he shared some plans on things he would like to do, if he has time and gets around to it. He is just so creative and full of ideas.

GreenMeanie

#15 Post by GreenMeanie » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:13 pm

I find this thread very interesting. I had the opportunity to be alone in a room with Steve and I had a thousand things I wanted to say to him but you know what, when I was sitting there I was just trying to savor the moment. He was asking me questions about me which I thought was cool. He wanted to know about little old me. I felt so comfortable and at ease. I didnt feel like I was sitting there with Steve Vai guitar virtuoso I was sitting there with Steve Vai. Thats how I look at him now, Steve Vai not Steve Vai guitar god. Not sure if that is wrong or not but it is how I feel.

Joanne