has anyone met steve vai?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
DTW

I've met Steve after the G3 gig last summer, he was very friendly and talkative.

I took some vids of the show as well, I merged them all together and compressed, but its still 16mb, if anyone know where I can put it, cuz my HP only has 10mb webspace, and I don't want to send it to thousands of people via mail.. Any idea?
pauldlr

After nearly 20 years of seeing Steve live I am yet to meet him, for various reasons the last being in Paris which was the closest to meeting him but I had to leave early. Met Pia though who is lovely. I'm sure this year though in Groningen with the aid of my new Vai forum family I will at last get to meet him, even if I do turn into a gibbering school girl! :lol:
EyE

The firsttime that i met Steve was in 1997 after a G3 show. Met Mike Keneally aswell (he's such a great humble guy!!). Steve was so great!! Making sure that everybody got what they wanted (stuff signed and photo's)!! Last year at the MPO show i got to meet Ruta Sepetys (very kind person), she said to me that there was a aftershow for the members so she introduced me to the group (thanx J :wink: ). Was cool the met Steve again and meet members aswell and not to forget Pia!!!
He is just a great guy :wink: !
resha

pauldlr wrote:After nearly 20 years of seeing Steve live I am yet to meet him, for various reasons the last being in Paris which was the closest to meeting him but I had to leave early. Met Pia though who is lovely. I'm sure this year though in Groningen with the aid of my new Vai forum family I will at last get to meet him, even if I do turn into a gibbering school girl! :lol:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
R1FSR

Jeez where do i start .....
YES ive met Vai many times...average of once a year since the DLR days... 8) 8) 8)
5thD

I got to spend around 45 minutes talking to Steve one on one, in his dressing room before the 2001 Detroit G3 show. This was just mind blowing to me because Steve has been one of musical idols since the early 80's. And a huge influence on my own guitar playing. I had never even met anyone famous before so meeting Vai was very surreal to me. I actually remember thinking on the plane trip to meet him, that I would
not feel any different if I was flying out to meet Lestat, you see I was a huge Ann Rice fan. That's a strange synchronicity for me even to this day because I didn't know about Steve's obsession with Lestat at that time, you can imagine my shock when I read the liner notes and listened to "Love Blood".

I will get back to the whole "Lestat" thing in a minute, Sorry, this post is going to be long but I want to share my Vai experience with you all. I got to hang out backstage all day which was very cool, a sat 1st row center stage for the whole sound check which was just killer! Steve had some press he had to do so he didn't get to the venue until after 6, I had an "All Access" back stage pass, I could go anywhere I wanted except the dressing rooms, but it was weird because I was totally by myself, I couldn't bring anybody with me because contest thing was for only one person so I just wandered around for like 6 hours, I got to the venue at noon. I watched them bring in all the gear in and set up the stage. It was really cool.

Oh, Steve picked me as the winner of the Steve Vai/Ibanez/Tonos Guitar challenge, that's why I got to meet him like this, and as part of that contest, he gave me one of his Ibanez Jem guitars! When I think about that even to this day, I kinda feel like I'm dreaming and I'm on an episode of Fantasy Island or something.

anyhow, So I just kinda hung out day, went wherever I wanted to go, I found out I liked the catering room :-) which by the way, I'm standing there making a sandwich and Billy Sheehan comes up right next to me also starts making a sandwich, I was so freaked out and star struck, I couldn't even think of anything to say, I just told him I was looking forward to hearing him play that night, he kinda smiled and said would do his best. I didn't even tell him that Mr.Big was one of my favorite bands or introduce myself or anything.

But it all kinda worked out cool because later when I was in Vai's dressing room, Billy comes in, and Steve introduces me to Billy who says, Oh your the guy I met earlier, it was cool, Billy was like "Ya, we go way back" So get this, I'm sitting in Vai's dressing room, talking with Vai & Billy Sheehan about touring with David Lee Roth, I'm Sitting there listening to them tell stories and joke around about there DLR days, That's a memory I will take to the other side with me. During this DLR discussion, I asked Steve how he played the riff to "Big Trouble", he stands up & grabs EVO and plays it for me in his dressing room!!!!!!!!!!! He goes on to say it was odd that I mentioned that particular song because he had just been recently thinking about how much fun it was to play that tune Live with DLR, and it was one of his favorites from that band.

Again, I kinda felt like I was dreaming and on an episode of Fantasy Island or something.

I want to share something with you, I know this might sound crazy but it is the honest to Gods Truth, Before the Vai contest & all this happened, I had what I can only call a vision, It was the most intense, real, vivid dream, in this vision I met Steve Vai. I was led down a corridor into a club where Vai was sound checking, I remember thinking this is too cool! Steve was playing a song called "There's a train that's leaving" he walked over to where me and my guide were standing, he was still playing and singing and doing his Jack Butler snakey "crossroads" walk and right when he get's up to me the music stops and he says in this huge voice "Welcome Aboard" and Just then just like out of a movie, I sat up in my bed wide awake, thinking what the fuck was that all about?

I swear it was like 2 or three days later when I visited Vai.com and I seen a banner to enter the Steve Vai/Ibanez/Tonos Guitar challenge. The fur on the back of my neck went up, I knew it wasn't a coincidence, I knew I was going to win that contest, and it wasn't about my guitar playing because I hadn't even recorded a note yet, I just knew because I just met Steve a couple of days earlier and he said "Welcome Aboard".

It just occured to me recently, I'm signed up for the "EVO" experience for the Cleveland April 6th show so now in real life, I'm going to be seeing Steve Vai doing a soundcheck at a club, the House of Blues which looks real simular to the club in my vision, and my guide? Mikey! Cosmic or what? That should be surreal

Anyhow, me & Steve mostly ended up talking about Spirituality, I had brought him a gift, One of my most favorite spiritual books, It's from a collection of "channeled" books called the Seth Material. Steve looks at it and says "I've read every single one of these books, Ive actually talked with Seth and asked him questions and he answered me, Steve went on to say "But don't get rapped up in the messenger, there's still something higher" I said "Right on"

Well, I still have a ton of stuff I want to share about meeting Steve but that will have to be in part two. I have to cruise
Henrique Henriques

I've Met Steve after the 3rd G3 gig In Brazil... He is trully an enlightened human being... He was very tired and yet, was kind enought spend time with his fans...

Thank You Steve! God Bless, Hope to see you again, personally!!! :D
resha

R1FSR wrote:Jeez where do i start .....
YES ive met Vai many times...average of once a year since the DLR days... 8) 8) 8)
so jealous... :evil: you're a lucky man :wink:
vaigod

I have met Steve about 5 times now. He is such a down to Earth person. Very humble and appreciative of ALL his fans. My last time meeting him, he told me that he remembered me which to me is mind-blowing since he meets thousands of fans. Its nice to tell him things you always wanted to ask,etc. He really listens. Its so nice to know that your idol is such a very cool person. His family, which I have had the pleasure to say hello to on the last show I saw him (NYC) (wife and mother) were also very warm people.

To all that have not had the pleasure in meeting him yet, just know what a wonderful person he really is and that he appreciates ALL his fans. :D

~D :lol:
Camarogirl
Newcomer

Unfortunately I've never had the privelege of meeting Steve I have been a fan for a while. The closest encounter I have had was wayyy back when he was with Whitesnake (man I feel old) I was at a show here in Orange COunty and I was in front of him all night in the front row -in typical girlie droupie (cant believe I admit to that) fashion I had a red rose that I managed to get to him onstage and he kept it with him for awhile . Man Iwas dying of happiness that nigh!1 Sadly I never got any pictures of it....something I still regret... but still a great memory!
zappadons

Met Steve, Satriani, Jeremy Colson, Tony Mac, Galen Henson and Billy Sheehan after the Glasgow G3 04 gig at Clyde Auditorium. All extremely nice people, unlike Fripp who gave us no time at all! In fact I seem to remember he got someone to push us out of the way :roll: Thats not to say I didnt enjoy Fripps set :wink: It was great IMO.

Anyway, back to topic all were nice and talkative, Satch seemed a bit more shy than the others. Steve and Billy chatted away for ages.

Also met Thomas Nordegg at the Royal Albert Hall show the following week.
Zongadude

ImageImage

Those two pictures were taken in Strasbourg (France) on April 1st 2000, after the show where 'Being with you (in Paris)' was recorded. :)
astro74
Newcomer

I got the chance to meet Steve twice...

First time was at an store signing at Roosevelt Field. I got to shake his hand and exchanged a few brief words with him.

The second time was actually at a picnic at Eisenhower Park. He and his family threw a picnic and had invited a bunch of friends and family to attend. Since Joe Despagni was a friend of my families I got the chance to come down and meet him through Joe.

Not only did I meet Steve I got to meet his mother, brothers (I actually know Roger due to him being friends with my mother), his wife Pia and the first son (he was still in a stroller then).

Steve is indeed a very kind person and also very polite. He even offered me a drink. I gotta say the left an impression on me (I was like 15 years old then).
chrose1201

I have now! :D Thinking back on it now, if you were to change the time and place most of us have met him, and put him into a natural setting, better yet if you didn't know that he was "Steve Vai" virtuoso you would come away thinking "that's a really nice guy. Very down to earth and truly, except for the talent no different than any of us. He really is just a guy from Long Island, actually no...he's much nicer than a lot of "guys from Long Island" (except for me of course :lol: )
So in fact I just met a pretty cool guy from the neighborhood, and that's nice in and of itself.
Knyq

im meeting him today in fact.. after his concert.. im so pumped