I may Interview Vai, Any Ideas on question, please help..

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Wrath0fTheTyrant
Newcomer

I've been given an opportunity to ask Steve a few questions in interview, please give me ideas. I greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
-Brian
StrongBad

"How were you inspired into becoming one of the top rated artist of today?"
Errr... sumthing like that.
"How was your life like when you were a kid?"

P.S. post the interview on the site when you are done please. this is interesting.

-Strong Bad-
Corrado

"since you said that you still have tons of unreleased stuff... there will be a Secret Jewel Box 2 ?"

"when will you release that Zappa tribute with orchestra ?"

Corrado.
Matwey

..i was always wondering what brand was Steve's first guitar of, 'coz in the interview for the JAM TV--program he said it was a guitar with FIVE pickups(if i remember it correctly though...; or does it state for two humbuckers and one single in there? ;)), and also in "Satch Tapes" Steve says that he got that guitar for a FIVE bucks without the strings on it.

Also the question is: were there any custom Keeley's mods to DS-1, that are not flaunted publically? ;) Well, this question is not fair, i know... But still... :)

And.. umm.. is there any info on what's up to Nancy_Fagan these days, and also some school/college story would be nice to hear! :)

Thank you! :)
worldabomination

"When you were playing guitar, what was your aim? e.g. We're you aiming to become a rock star or did you just do it as a hobby?"

Phil.
Nick.

i think a nice "hello, how are you?" is a good question to start off with :wink: :)
davester1234

ask him how he feels about being considered a 'guitar hero' :)
jmchambers5

talk to him about recording techniques, especially what he uses to get his guitar tones, like microphones, placement, eq, and anything else you can get out of him about recording.
MEX

i would go with the deeper stuff rather than the technical. i mean, you can find most of the technical and sound information somewhere on the internet, and what you cant find really doesnt help you to be a better guitar player, just VAIer. I wouldnt go with the trivial stuff either, who cares really about the brand of shoes he wears or cereal he eats (those are examples, you get the picture)
i would ask him what is he listening to guitarwise these days.. and ask him not to cheat trying to sell me some favored nation artist.
i would ask him if he ever considers he is past his guitar heroes technically speaking.
i would like to know if he is worried about running out of innovative ideas sometime.
if there is something about the way he plays he thinks he could do better or something he doesnt like (i know he doesnt like very much his live playing, but why?)
mmm i would also want to know if he would like to be a top 40 artist, i mean, he has tried it a couple of times with whitesnake, DLR, S&R and he didnt have a lot of complaints, besides theres something about a "tribute" album with popular artists.. and hes singing more and more.
i dont know, i would ask him lots of things.

and yes, i would definetly start with a how are you?

tnx

corrado - isnt the zappa album youre talking about "Zappa Universe" ?, try to check it, its a good album
Matwey

..well, i think that saying 'hello' is definately not the right question for the interview -- that's what you say first time meeting someone ;) ...and if everyone in this thread will continue to suggest to ask this "question" -- this thread has big chances to turn into friggin' "hello" suggestion thread :roll: :P

And yes, some deep questions are definately... deep. But i guess Brian said that he's got an opportunity to ask a few questions. I guess it should be considered like a small interview, therefore if you tend the man to answer some deep questions that are simply cannot be answered in a short phrase and are taking some time to think for the answer -- then there will be no time for other qustions to ask. (like tons of 'hello' questions for example :roll: :) )
Reaper

Ask him the reason he would give for his success...
pro-fleisch

ask him about his paintball playing and in generell what he does in his freetime beside of playing guitar...what are his hobbies, does he have hobbies like a "normal" person etc...
MEX

mm sorry Matwey, i dont see many " "hello" questions" i just said it as a reminder to be polite in the interview, not sugesting the way he should "say hello".
and i didnt said that he should say hello, i said he should ask him how he was doing, which is different, i mean, c'mon maybe hell say "im tired" or "im bored" or "im sad and i would prefer to do this later", whatever.

i just think its polite to ask how somebody is before throwing a lot of questions, and sometimes when you meet someome who intimidates you you forget he's human too.

as for the type of questions i said i would ask... well thats a matter of taste, you would like some answers, i would like other ones.
Matwey

well, i agree, MEX. Asking 'how are you?' is slightly different than just saying 'hello' :)
Corrado

here are 3 questions...

"when you'll be 50 years old you'll still be doing the same music or you'll turn into something different? (like Zappa did)"

"will you ever release an album without guitar (like the 'piano reductions' in the box set) ?"

"it's true that you have tons of unreleased songs and you want them to be released after your death?"