If Steve would do a cover tune?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
R1FSR

Roy Boy wrote:I reckon a bluesy version of FTLOG would sound very cool.

1 -e & 2 - e & 3 -4______
bwA-da-daaaa-da-da-daaaaaaaa *cha cha chaaaa cha cha*

heheheee

sorry man..but that would suck..
we know it and vai knows it ..he cant play blues for shit..
bigelisa

I'd love to hear Steve play a cover version of the song DEAD ON TIME by QUEEN! :D
totallygeek

sorry man..but that would suck..
we know it and vai knows it ..he cant play blues for shit..
The point was for some other artist that plays the blues to play a bluesy version of For the Love of God. Personally, I think other artists doing covers of Vai's tunes would be quite interesting. I would like to hear Leo Kottke playing Sisters or Ballerina 12/24.
VirtuososNightmare
Newcomer

Why on earth would we want to hear Steve Vai play a cover tune? I mean, honestly who wants to hear Vai playing someone elses music? I sure as hell don't. I would rather hear Vai being himself than trying to play someone elses music. Cover tunes are complete crap, if anyone does them, it's because they don't have their own material. If anything Vai shouldn't do a cover tune, what a horrible idea. Vai is the man himself, you can't take him and plug him into someones song. It wouldn't be Steve Vai, if it wasn't written by Steve Vai.
sonny sixshooter

VirtuososNightmare wrote:Why on earth would we want to hear Steve Vai play a cover tune? I mean, honestly who wants to hear Vai playing someone elses music? I sure as hell don't. I would rather hear Vai being himself than trying to play someone elses music. Cover tunes are complete crap, if anyone does them, it's because they don't have their own material. If anything Vai shouldn't do a cover tune, what a horrible idea. Vai is the man himself, you can't take him and plug him into someones song. It wouldn't be Steve Vai, if it wasn't written by Steve Vai.
You mean like "Fire", Little Wing", "Sofa" or something like that? Yeah, great Vai tunes...
Roy Boy

lol, shut-dowwwwn :lol:
guitar_mage

Steve vai should play "maple leaf rag". If he does that, he will transcend time/space and earth will cease to exist.
VirtuososNightmare
Newcomer

Steve Vai is the one and only amazing man all on his own. I hate hearing Steve do cover tunes on the G3 tours. Yeah, they are always amazing, and no one else can do what Vai can; but I would much rather hear Vai play his own music than anyone elses.
VirtuososNightmare
Newcomer

sonny sixshooter wrote:
VirtuososNightmare wrote:Why on earth would we want to hear Steve Vai play a cover tune? I mean, honestly who wants to hear Vai playing someone elses music? I sure as hell don't. I would rather hear Vai being himself than trying to play someone elses music. Cover tunes are complete crap, if anyone does them, it's because they don't have their own material. If anything Vai shouldn't do a cover tune, what a horrible idea. Vai is the man himself, you can't take him and plug him into someones song. It wouldn't be Steve Vai, if it wasn't written by Steve Vai.
You mean like "Fire", Little Wing", "Sofa" or something like that? Yeah, great Vai tunes...
Jimi Hendrix is god my friend. Along with Frank Zappa. Plus seeing as Vai played with Zappa, it isn't realy much of a cover tune. He was actually in the band, so it was a part of his routine. Plus, everyone covers Hendrix, thats just because Hendrix was an amazing writer. Plus, even Yngwie can cover Hendrix.
EyesOfFire0221

I think he would do great doing a cover of Bob Seigers Turn the page ...... the lyrics paint the life of a musican so well... Here I am on the road again ....There I am up on the Stage ......Here I go Playing The Star Again ..... Here I go Turn The page ........

Peace

Tiffany
sonny sixshooter

VirtuososNightmare wrote:Jimi Hendrix is god my friend. Along with Frank Zappa. Plus seeing as Vai played with Zappa, it isn't realy much of a cover tune. He was actually in the band, so it was a part of his routine. Plus, everyone covers Hendrix, thats just because Hendrix was an amazing writer. Plus, even Yngwie can cover Hendrix.
Ah. So they're not "real" cover tunes because of that? Come on. Call it what is. They're cover tunes, and they're good. So let's hear more of them.
zappadons

Yeah Steve doing any FZ cover would be great, I heard his version of Sofa on Zappas Universe, it was great.

Hearing and SEEING Steve perform Ice 9 with Satch in June was unbelieveable.

...and both Steve and Satch's perofmrance on King Crimsons RED was something Id love to hear/see again!
the power of bombos

It would be interesting to see a vai take on Mr. Big songs.
the power of bombos

Hearing and SEEING Steve perform Ice 9 with Satch in June was unbelieveable.

What an amzing thing to have seen! Unfortunately I did'nt manage to get any tickets to go to the Glasgow show but I plan seeing Vai on his next solo tour. :!: :D
Godfather

I know if Steve did an album of his influences, kinda like Garage Inc, I would buy it. It would be interesting to hear how Steve would interpret things like Zeppelin, Queen, King Crimson etc. Would love to hear him play Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd as well. Whoever had the idea of a Satch/Vai split covers album, that is also somethign I think would kick ass :guitar