If Steve would do a cover tune?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Knightmeir

How about a cover of some Satch tunes and Satch cover some Vai tunes on a CD together? That'd be interesting to hear : )
pbak

I think Steve and his band would do a fantastic version of
21st Century Schizoid Man from the first KC album -
In The Court Of The Crimson King.
giantrobot

Since I've Been Loving You
Matthew

I'd love to hear Steve go apesh**t on Satch's Flying In A Blue Dream or Surfing With The Alien. I wonder how it would sound with him doing the arpeggios in Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing
akami

I think everyone would love a Steve Vai rendition of Jimi Hendrix's Pali Gap. Extremely beautiful song and everyone not familiar with it should search it out - it's not most peoples image of Hendrix, even Little Wing withstanding...

P.S. Everyone means, at least guitar players into beautiful melodies.
tim_knox

I would love to see Vai do a Zeppelin cover. He said he was into Zeppelin before he got into Hendrix so why doesn't he ever do a Zeppelin cover. I would love to see him do a rendition of Stairway or The Ocean, or Heartbreaker. If he doesn't want to attempt Robert Plant then he could always do White Summer.
guyzif

Brewtal_Licks wrote:St. Anger! :wink:

No, seriously, I'd love to hear him do an Ozzy song, just thinking of their project getting canned steams me.

I'd like to hear some Queen stuff, and maybe some Santana. Fade to Black would be cool, but it doesn't suit him.

Oh, and maybe a Satch song or two!

Yea i'd love to hear him cover a queen, 'Hammer to Fall' or 'Gimme the Prize'. I'd love to hear a colaboration with him and Brian may. That would be so cool. :D :D
guyzif

Matthew wrote:I'd love to hear Steve go apesh**t on Satch's Flying In A Blue Dream or Surfing With The Alien. I wonder how it would sound with him doing the arpeggios in Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing

Yea i's tone on Mystical... would be amazing.
sonny sixshooter

"Shine on you crazy diamond" by Pink Floyd. Well, anything by PF would do.
frogman54
Newcomer

Personally...I love electric guitar interpretations of classical music. I think Steve should try and cover...or let's say, "interpret" a piano piece by Rachmaninoff. His Prelude in C# minor. I think a "metal" aproach to this piece could be interesting. If anybody could pull it off...it's Steve. I think it might also be cool if Steve would use the beginning theme of the prelude and then compose classical style guitar leads to it. I just think the first few chords would make a great background for a heavy metal song.
Jak
Newcomer

If vai covered a rage against the machine song that would be sweet!
Mutronboy

I was thinkin' "Schitzoid Man" before I saw the post, so I'll second that. Inca Roads would be awesome, but I don't think Steve will do Frank stuff out of respect. So get Fripp in the next G3 and do 'Schitzoid Man' Then do an album version with Terry on drums!
sonny sixshooter

Well, he has done Sofa and on the first G3 cd they played My Guitar Wants to Kill your Mama. So he has played Franks tunes. Let's just hope he'll do it again.
Texter

tim_knox wrote:I would love to see Vai do a Zeppelin cover. He said he was into Zeppelin before he got into Hendrix so why doesn't he ever do a Zeppelin cover. I would love to see him do a rendition of Stairway or The Ocean, or Heartbreaker. If he doesn't want to attempt Robert Plant then he could always do White Summer.
He did Black Dog on the Ultra Zone tour...the concert was broadcast on the radio later...but without it. Too bad...Vai had the Whammypedal-over-the-Singing-Mic thing going on. Standing 5 feet away from him it was great 8)
adrian white

Painkiller by Judas Priest.
I,d say he is the only guitarist on the planet who might possably improve on that killer lead break.