do you think he is in the top 10?...

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
stratocastermaster

greatest guitarists of all time? i think he should be #5.... i came up with a whole list and i think he pulls in that 5 spot
Parker_Fly

Im sure at this forum you are likey to get 8775 different oppinons as to the top 10 guitarists of all time. Theres no way to gauge it, its all oppinions, and everyone has their own.. Im sure most here would say he's number one or top 5, seeing as how this is HIS forum.. but as to a top 10 list you will always get arguments and crap.. you know what they say about oppinions, dont ya? :wink:
Vaituoso

Top 10? Top 5 even? Are you nuts!?

STEVE IS NUMBER ONE! THE ONE AND ONLY! THE BEST!

Your list totally sucks if Steve is in "that 5 spot." Get real, man. Who is number one on your list? Alex Lifeson?

I'm serious about Steve being number one, but the harshness was just a joke. :wink:
Bono

He would be in my top 5 - but the order of my top 5 changes almost daily ;)
Gary2005

Vaituoso, chill.

Everyone has opinions mate :)
Vaituoso

Gary2005 wrote:Vaituoso, chill.

Everyone has opinions mate :)
Read what's written with the tiny font. It was a joke, man. Even though I DO think Steve is the greatest, I wouldn't seriously call somebody out like that. Believe me, I hate opinionated people.
stratocastermaster

yeah i think that the top 10 are....

1 jimi hendrix
2 jimmy page
3 eddie van halen
4 eric calpton
5 steve :guitar:
6 yngwie malmsteen
7 joe satriani
8 brian may
9 david gilmour( i know you think im crazy for having him up here)
10 duane allman
Naffis-kun

Your list totally sucks if Steve is in "that 5 spot." Get real, man. Who is number one on your list? Alex Lifeson?
I agree.
Jimi Hendrix, for example, was an average guitarist
Mr midway

You alright feeling ?
Parker_Fly

Naffis-kun wrote:

I agree.
Jimi Hendrix, for example, was an average guitarist
He may have been an average guitarist today in terms of skill, but he still revolutionized the guitar and what you can do with it just like van halen.. The two of them changed the intrument forever...
Naffis-kun

The two of them changed the intrument forever...
And so did Steve 8)
Lucky

Ya I think Jimi was average in terms of technique but he was just so much more than that. So is Steve imho and I think they both have/had a rare talent to connect with people on a very deep, emotional level through thier music....especially live! :)
b2

I think it is imposible to rank musicans but Steve is not bad hehe :D
Music is art and musicans are artists, and you cant rank art.
Bono

I wouldn't really say Steve revolutionised the guitar as much as Jimi did, or even Van Halen really. Jimi was obviously the guy that first made the electric guitar what he made it...there was just nobody before him at all who could play like that. With Van Halen...he revolutionised the tapping phenominom and became a household name. Although I don't think either of these are even close to the technical ability of Steve, it's not as if the average music listener knows of Steve Vai...it would be pretty hard to find someone who hasn't heard of Hendrix or Van Halen. Saying that...it's pretty much the same with people like Satch, Petrucci, Malmsteen etc...real talent relativly unknown :( But in the guitar world, Steve is definatley the revolutionizer...
wackyjackie21613

he's number one in my book :lol:

me :wink: