What's going on on vai.com?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
RAI

Mikey doesn't just sit in front of the computer all day, tinkering with Vai.com. He's up to his ***** with other stuff to do.
Sometimes Mikey goes days without sleep, just trying to get things done.
And no matter how much he gets done, there's always more to do.
Keep in mind, we're all getting all this stuff for free.
You cannot be demanding when it's something that is just given to you, when it doesn't have to be.
There are other artists out there that charge for full access to their site.
You can get the basics for free, but if you want it all, you better break out some plastic.
Not around here.
And since there is no money coming in from this site, that means that all the money it takes to keep this up and running, comes out of Steve's own pocket. What happens here, happens because of people like Mikey, that sacrifice ALOT just to make things enjoyable for us.
And what have we done to deserve it.......?

Just my thoughts on the matter.
:wink:
davester1234

RAI wrote:Keep in mind, we're all getting all this stuff for free.
You cannot be demanding when it's something that is just given to you, when it doesn't have to be.
There are other artists out there that charge for full access to their site.
You can get the basics for free, but if you want it all, you better break out some plastic.
Not around here.
And since there is no money coming in from this site, that means that all the money it takes to keep this up and running, comes out of Steve's own pocket. What happens here, happens because of people like Mikey, that sacrifice ALOT just to make things enjoyable for us.
And what have we done to deserve it.......?

Just my thoughts on the matter.
:wink:
well said
shacks

You make some very good points RAI. Its seems the bigger the band the more they like to fleece their fans with subscription sites. Saying that I would quite happy to offer some $$££ to help fund the Vai site. Not a compulsary subscription but more you can give if you can/want.

Just thinking about it, how did bands (particulary artists like Vai) and their fans manage before the internet?! I was incredibly pushed to get any real info new or old on Mr V before Vai.com, nevermind the opportunity to purchase albums and individual tracks that would not be available elsewhere.

shacks
NoAngel

shacks wrote:
You make some very good points RAI. Its seems the bigger the band the more they like to fleece their fans with subscription sites. Saying that I would quite happy to offer some $$££ to help fund the Vai site. Not a compulsory subscription but more you can give if you can/want.
shacks
I think it's wonderful to get all this for free. David Bowie charges $65 a year, a lot of money and you can't even check what's on offer for this! Eric Clapton's site has had 2 news items added in a about a year! I signed up for the news letter and don't remember getting one. Steve's and Satch's arrive regularly and are full of information.

I'd second a proposal for a voluntary donation, maybe PayPal?
lespaulplus

Well.... let's consider:

1) Vai has a website to promote himself. It's not a matter of carity ;)

2) Clapton, Bowie, or The Eagles ask for money to visit some parts of their website or whatever. Let's have a look in Vai-tunes:

- 1 USD per song
- which means 12 USD for 12 songs
- We are paying the same we pay to buy a CD of 12 songs but:

+ mp3 (worst quality)
+ No cover, no CD, no art work, no design.....
+ No producers, no people in the middle, no shops.....

Not a bad biz eh?

I love Vai's music and I buy everything relative to his music (even Vai-tunes) BUT regarding your proposal there is no way I am going to pay a single euro to keep a web he uses to promote himself. This is toooooooo much.
Pro-string strummer

how about mikey partnering up withsomeone... ? or how about updating at least one thing a week... how long does it take to delete a few banners or maybe cut and paste a materials list for the harmony hut...? or hwat about live gear? coming soon... a year and a bit ago... i was thinkin "hey I'll check back in a day or so... but yeah after a week i got bored :S ... SICK SITE... but maybe you should consider a fe wmore people on the team.. :P
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

lespaulplus wrote:Well.... let's consider:

1) Vai has a website to promote himself. It's not a matter of carity ;)

2) Clapton, Bowie, or The Eagles ask for money to visit some parts of their website or whatever. Let's have a look in Vai-tunes:

- 1 USD per song
- which means 12 USD for 12 songs
- We are paying the same we pay to buy a CD of 12 songs but:

+ mp3 (worst quality)
+ No cover, no CD, no art work, no design.....
+ No producers, no people in the middle, no shops.....

Not a bad biz eh?

I love Vai's music and I buy everything relative to his music (even Vai-tunes) BUT regarding your proposal there is no way I am going to pay a single euro to keep a web he uses to promote himself. This is toooooooo much.

Ouch... this really reeks. :x

If you want to rant about something, at least get your facts straight (again!) and do so based on things you know about.

You're comments on the outdatedness of some aspects on this site has been noted. You have been told 3 times why that is.

If you want to ignore that, knock yourself out. But assuming, speculating and ignoring the facts given to you isn't particulary winning our sympathy.

HTH, HAND.
Jeroen
lespaulplus

I always thought criticism was the way to imrpove things but I see this particular one is not taken in this way so I prefere to stop taking my time trying to improve the web of an artist who has ALL my respect.

Therefore I won't talk about this or other sensible matter or continue this thread never again.

Don't worry, I am happy happy happy and you are all great. The bests!

Cheers.
bbkane

besides no one likes les pauls anyway
one tone wonders muaahha

keep up the good work with the site!
mmertoglu
Newcomer

Passion and Warfare originally released May 17,1990 on Relativity Records.Not September.