What's going on on vai.com?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
lespaulplus
Member
Member
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:38 am

I mean, is really stop since long time ago. No evolutions etc... except on the main page.

If you go to news, there is still a banner on the main page saying "Elusive light and sound - in stores now" (we are talking about an album made in 2001).

This is OK (acceptable at least) for a tribute site or fan site but for the official page............... updating should be done IMHO at least from a year to another.......

Another thing.... the discography is very incomplete. Last album is not there!!!!!! no new singles, no new picks, no new anything.....

Sorry if I am very direct but Don't you think the web is tooooo forgotten?

It used to be one of the best ones back in 2001 when everything was included and updated on time.

If a new one is being developed IMHO the old one has to be updated until the new one is running. Not "ok, let it be like it is now for the next 4 years...."

Sorry but I needed to say that ONLY because my respect and admiration to Vai. I feel he deserves more attention (even if he's not Britney Spears ;-))
User avatar
laficojr
Member
Member
Posts: 1244
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:03 am

Okay you'right but the guys are really busy now.....Because of the tour,etc..
But yes,it need some updates.... :)
User avatar
Naffis-kun
Member
Member
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:40 am

Very true.

The official site should be updated first.
LMAO Even my fansite is updated more often than vai.com
Octavian
Member
Member
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:39 pm

Mikey is the site guru and he's out on the tour with Steve right now, which means he's even more swamped than usual (EVO experience, meet and greet, all kinds of stuff).

The site has really evolved quite a bit, especially over the past few months, but it's tough to get updates out from the road.

I have a feeling we'll see some cool stuff from Mikey as time permits though. :)
lespaulplus
Member
Member
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:38 am

Octavian wrote:Mikey is the site guru and he's out on the tour with Steve right now, which means he's even more swamped than usual (EVO experience, meet and greet, all kinds of stuff).

The site has really evolved quite a bit, especially over the past few months, but it's tough to get updates out from the road.

I have a feeling we'll see some cool stuff from Mikey as time permits though. :)
Yes, It's true..... There's no time in 4 years to update the web.... :lol:
User avatar
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2626
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:34 am

To be honest, I think a lot has changed since 2001.

For example....

A messageboard containing one of the finest online fan communities in the history of fan sites...ever..:) Not to mention the number one information flowing device between Steve himself and the fans. There is over 120 Megabytes of information contained in this forum ;)

A chatroom that is the home for some very exiting conversation, occasionally with some very special guests

The news section is flowing and provides us always with the latest on Steve.

How about the insight of the making of - and background info- on Real Illusions: Reflections minisite.

Lots of additional info on Steve's guitars

All about Evo (need I say more?)

Fresh looks regularly.

Vai.com store, VaiTunes...

All kinds of pics, preview vids.

Comming soon, as announced on the newspage, the Tour Diary.

I'm sure I'm forgetting tons of stuff in this list.

so..no updates in 4 years? Hnmn, I beg to differ :)

I think there's enough to enjoy on Vai.com to last you a while.
And you can be sure that in the meantime, all effort -and then some- is done to keep vai.com at the very top of the best artists site on the web!
Please remember tho, that both Mikey & Steve are stacked with work.
Mikey has certainly more things to do besides the site (think Evo packages for example).

And doing things on Vai.com isn't something you can do in between or do 'quick & dirty' fixes. I think you can agree that that wouldn't be the vai way, so to speak. :)

Jeroen
shacks
Member
Member
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:43 pm

I have been using vai.com every day for over a year now (since I got my home PC) and I have to say the site developments and changes have been fantastic.
Jeroen wrote:...coming soon, as announced on the newspage, the Tour Diary.

Jeroen
Great idea! I talked about this a while ago...

http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... tour+diary :wink:

shacks
lespaulplus
Member
Member
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:38 am

Jeroen wrote:To be honest, ...... Jeroen
I must agree with you in some things you say. There are new sections which are fantastic. No doubt on that.

BUT, before you think about new things you've got to finish what is done. This is a basic rule of organization.

If you are not going to update something for a long time you better quit it but do not leave it 4 years because this web is something very serious, not a fan thing.

Examples:

- Banner: "Win a Ibanez Jem. Click here for details": it was something happening 4 years ago

- Banner: "The elusive light and sounds - in stores now" Sure it is in stores now ;) it's there for the last 4 years

- Banner: "New live DVD filmed in London - In the editing stages now". No comments.

- Make a noise fundation: Las news dated March/21/2003. News? I mean.. news?

- Naras: "Steve has recently joined the Board of Governors of NARAS..." Please define RECENTLY

- Fansites: Have you tried some of those links recently?

- Vaiography: Last album: Alive in ultraworld - 2001

- Discography: Last album not included

- In the press: Not any adition since 2001

- Aural fixation: Stucked since 2002

I better stop here....

As I say before, everything is ok if this is your fan-page or tribute page or whatever but this is supposed to be a proffessional page of the best guitar player in the world with millions of fans visiting it. Sorry but no excuses for me and sorry to say I am very stranged Vai accepts it knowing he just accepts something when it's 100% perfect..

If you cannot update it QUIT IT and leave just what you can handle.

But this just my opinion of how organizated things work.
User avatar
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2626
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:34 am

lespaulplus wrote: BUT, before you think about new things you've got to finish what is done. This is a basic rule of organization.
How about:
" Sorry folks, there won't be any EVO Packages for the European tour, because we are too busy updating the fansite listing on vai.com" ...

That would be bad news, eh?

It's a matter of priorities. ;)
If you cannot update it QUIT IT and leave just what you can handle.
I don't think you want Mikey to quit working on Vai.com.

But that's just my opinon on how the workings behind vai.com are. ;)

Don't assume those things you mention aren't on the ToDo list, because they are (and a boatload more). If only a day had 48000 hours...

In regards to your comment about Steve accepting this all, why don't you point your browser to the General Music forum. Somewhere on top (a sticky thread), there's a link to an Interview with Steve, done by Jemfest Radio. It's ultra cool btw, lasting close to (or even a little over) one hour. Towards the end, he comments extensively on his site. You'll hear it from the Bad Horsies mouth himself. :)

--
Jeroen
lespaulplus
Member
Member
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:38 am

Jeroen wrote: " Sorry folks, there won't be any EVO Packages for the European tour, because we are too busy updating the fansite listing on vai.com" ...
4 years Jeroen. I am talking about 4 years.......
Jeroen wrote: I don't think you want Mikey to quit working on Vai.com.
I am talking about quiting the parts you do not update. That's all. That Simple.
Jeroen wrote:... Steve accepting this all, [....] an Interview with Steve, done by Jemfest Radio [...] .he comments extensively on his site. You'll hear it from the Bad Horsies mouth himself. :)
Yes.... always heard Steve is Selfless and generous.
User avatar
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2626
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:34 am

Jeroen wrote: I don't think you want Mikey to quit working on Vai.com.
I am talking about quiting the parts you do not update. That's all. That Simple.
You mean like dropping the discography because it isn't updated yet?
Jeroen wrote:... Steve accepting this all, [....] an Interview with Steve, done by Jemfest Radio [...] .he comments extensively on his site. You'll hear it from the Bad Horsies mouth himself. :)
Yes.... always heard Steve is Selfless and generous.
And honest.

I don't particularly like what your last sentence suggests.

I know how easy it is to comment on stuff like this, seeing only the things you are ment to see. I'm quite blessed to be able to see a tiny bit of what goes on behind the screens to make it all happen. To see the efforts that people like Mikey put into this. Talking about selflessly and generously. Not to mention a truckload of dedication. It's amazingly inspirational, btw. It's also a feat of tremendous proportions.

Bottom line however is that this is The Way Things Are Done.

I guess you can't please everybody.

I'm still convinced that Vai.com as a whole rules & runs cirlces above any other official artist site out there.

Me thinks most of the folks around here feel the same way. (seeing the Mikey Rulez thread). Sorry you can't see it that way too, but ultimatly, that's your loss.
lespaulplus
Member
Member
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:38 am

Look Jeroen, this is not personnal. Cannot be in fact because I don't know you, I don't know Mike or anyone involved so I cannot criticize anybody.

I do not know if you need more money, more help, more crew, a better computer, better software, if you work hard or if you are lazy, if you need to work in a pub at nights because Steve pays you 100 bucks a year...... and frankly speaking I do not care.

However. It's not normal the official website of an international artist is sooooooooooo non updated as Vai.com

That's all. You can paint it blue, red, pink, green or whatever but it is what it is.

However there will be for sure a lot of people very happy with it and as I previously said this is just my opinion.
lucky7
Member
Member
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:25 pm

I am a Vai fan from Australia, and although I don't visit every single day I have to say that Vai.com is the best website around.
If people are visiting everyday, of course you will notice what isn't updated compared to what is.
Being a Vai fan in Australia is hard, the only way we hear about a new album or new tour is through Vai.com.
Vai's albums if not purchased via the internet are only available at two stores in my state, then after six months of release a few more stores have it.
The website is comprehensive and easy to navigate, and not too many offer fans around the world the chance to meet the artist.
I was one of the lucky ones last July for the Melbourne show.
I am also a member on Joe Satriani's website, I have not received a mail out since becoming a member, I heard he had pnemonia from Vai.com, the messageboard is crazy, you have to scroll through a lot of messages to read what has been posted, and with less than a week to go the aftershow has still not been drawn! I am going crazy with anticipation.
But we all love it and that is why we are here. I understand no one is bagging Vai or Mikey, it is just constructive criticism.
To end on a positive, does anyone in Oz have Vai's new album yet?
8) :D :!:
Parker_Fly
Member
Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:45 am

Being a Vai fan in Australia is hard, the only way we hear about a new album or new tour is through Vai.com
Its not really any easier in the US, i mean Vai is never on tv or radio so the only way i ever hear anything is on the internet... which sucks the big one! but its shame that we cant see vai more on tv and hear him on the radio.. but who needs radio when got all his cds? :D
anuj
Member
Member
Posts: 570
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:03 am

lespaulplus ... ever been to satriani.com? ;)

there aren't many sites updated super-frequently ... vai.com is definitely right up there in terms of update frequency. you can't really expect a constant revolution in site design all the time - most sites work off the idea of occasional revolution with frequent evolution. the evolution bit's happening.

y'alls just gotta be patient :)

~A
Post Reply