Why does Eddie not dig Steve?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
phoenix2874

"I love the music Eddie made with Van Halen and I am very aware of how big of an impact he had on guitar playing. But let's face it... Vai is the ultimate package. Steve is the real deal, man!"

Good point. There is a big difference between inventing something and mastering it. Eddie brought two hand tapping to mainstream guitar(and though he didn`t invent it, per say, he was the first to be recognized for it), whereas the next generation of players took it to a whole new level (stanley Jordan).

Anyway, off topic I know. I`ve never heard Eddie say he wasn`t into Vai, or read that he said it anyway. I would imagine there is a general respect among the elite, but then again gary Moore`s coments about the G3 made me want to kick him in the nuts.
EddieVanHalenRocks

" Eddie is Jelous" what are you basing that on?, Eddie has never said anything bad about Vai in his life, They are both very different players, Eddie is a more "full band" oriented player, he rarely writes instrumentals, Eddie has his own style just like Steve, (you could recognise both of them a mile away), I love both Eddie & Steve just the same.
Leftymonster

...Oh..No!!...the same old story again. i can't understand the whole "kick ass" things, imagine Steve kicks Eddie's ass, so what! can you ignore what Eddie did to the world of electric guitar! not only him, all the guys from T-bone till now. we owe all of these people, they made life more beautiful and the electric guitar a better instrument.
i hate these childish subjects that "X vs. Y" or "X kicks Y's ass" but if you think so, it's better to forget about playing the guitar because each morning when you wake up you should remember that your ass is being kicked by Millions of guitar players in the world who play the guitar better that you!!
Lefty :evil:
Last edited by Leftymonster on Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
anuj

brainpolice wrote:"Dweezil learned alot from Ed's playing." Yea. Made a whole career out of Ed's playing! :)
... ? that's a bizarre generalization ... listen to much dweezil?

~A
EyE

Funny thing is do, that Satch asked Eddie last summer to join for the G3 show. But at the last moment Eddie cancelled it and Yngwie joined. Would be cool do a G3 show with Eddie :wink:
dutchie

I love both EVH & Vai, but I dont think either one would be jealous of each other. Why would they be..... Eddie will always be regarded as the #2 best guitar player ever, he totally re-invented the guitar, bringing more to the guitar than anyone ever, and has sold over 75 million albums and Steve Vai is ...... well... Steve Vai (enough said :D )

Obviosly, EVH hasn't released much over the last few years, but having going through Cancer, Hip Replacements, Divorce and no Singer are all good reasons for not doing so too.

Technic has nothing to do with it....

Technically, CC Deville is a better guitar player than Jimi Hendrix (#1) or Eric Clapton (technic wise), but who would you guys deem the better....
(BTW, I'm not compearing EVH or Vai to Deville, Hendrix or Clapton, its just an stupid example) :shock:

I love the DLR quote that Eddie's a "shitty human being without a guitar in his hands.".... This, from the most overated, king of the shittiest human beings on the planet... Ask anyone whos worked with Roth what he's like... Thats like Paris Hilton saying that Julia Roberts is a "no-talented, ugly, overated skanky whore"
(again, I'm not compearing EVH to Paris Hilton or Julia Roberts , its just another stupid example) :shock: :shock:

Anyways, thats my 2 cents.....

Dutchie

BTW, Dweezil Zappa Rules :D
zappadons

Eddie van Halen is an excellent guitar player.

But he couldnt even kiss the boots of Steve and Satch who IMO are only one note away from turning into human guitars themselves.
Lucky

Edward Van Halen is a fucking guitar legend. You wanna know what makes him among the greatest who ever lived? He could play in a song you've never heard before and you'd know it was him instantly. No one I've heard has captured his touch, although I'll admit Vito Bratta came freakishly close.

Please people, respect the man who helped kill off disco and who brought us the superstrat. EVH, whether he's a nice guy or not, is one hell of a musician.
Vaituoso

zappadons wrote:Eddie van Halen is an excellent guitar player.

But he couldnt even kiss the boots of Steve and Satch who IMO are only one note away from turning into human guitars themselves.
This man speaks the truth :!:

Couldn't have been said any better, brother.
Youngshredder

I've always thought EVH and Satch were on the same level. There isn't much Satch can do that EVH can't.

NOTE- I'm a huge satch fan.
weapon

Lucky wrote:Edward Van Halen is a fucking guitar legend. You wanna know what makes him among the greatest who ever lived? He could play in a song you've never heard before and you'd know it was him instantly. No one I've heard has captured his touch, although I'll admit Vito Bratta came freakishly close.

Please people, respect the man who helped kill off disco and who brought us the superstrat. EVH, whether he's a nice guy or not, is one hell of a musician.
Vito Bratta.....Vito Bratta??!?!?! You've GOT to be kidding, man. :lol:
Parker_Fly

Lucky wrote:Edward Van Halen is a fucking guitar legend. You wanna know what makes him among the greatest who ever lived? He could play in a song you've never heard before and you'd know it was him instantly. No one I've heard has captured his touch, although I'll admit Vito Bratta came freakishly close.

I find that i can listen to a song and immediately know that Vai is playing.. I think vai has the greatest "touch" among anyone ive ever heard.. thats just me
bcgvh

I thought they both really liked each other as guitar players. I remember reading an interview with Eddie where he specifically said he was very impressed with Steve's playin', and Satriani's as well.
disaxster

:?: eddie is jealous? :?
it doesn't make sense at all.
I can't believe there are people on this message boad that believe something like that, or can even think about it seriously. :? :shock:
disaxster

(from Guitar World, February 1990 "The monster of Rock")

GW who are some of the players that impressed you during the past decade?
EVH well, there's satriani and vai. they're excellent players.
GW you mentioned satriani and vai earlier, but did anybody else who came up during the eighties make you sweat - maybe just a little?
EVH no. see, nobody makes me sweat. if anything, when I hear somebody good, it inspires me, you know? like when I first heard holdsworth, that made me want to play! to me, music isn't a competitive thing.
there are so many good players around. I'm not in competition with them.
I'm not out to be better than anybody. music is such a personal thing.
how can you say someone is better than someone else?

in a word: peace 8)
:lol: