"light without heat" tattoo

Discuss Vai.com's Photo Galleries, along with studio, live and rare photos - or showcase your own Vai-related photography here.
Fender868
Newcomer

This wasn't really meant to be a Vai related tattoo, but the art work does come from his name so i guess to be fair i should post it here. The tattoo isn't completed. There is another 3 or 4 hours to be done. I sat down with my artist, and had her draw me a design to reach my shoulders so it give the piece even more room and balance. I think it's a striking piece and it's taken me years to figure out what i wanted on my back, and definately don't regret this. I am a Steve Vai fan by all means, but i am not the kind of guy to tattoo and Van Halen logo on his nut sack either ;). This was just a beautiful piece of art, which i originally crossed on here. I had wanted a pyramid with the all seeing eye for a while, but the one on the american dollar was too popular and i had some others sketched, but i didn't like the way they came out. Then this one totally sold me. 2 weeks later and it's on my back.

I can update in 3 weeks when the tattoo gets the remaining shading, darkening and a light shade of color to add mystique and presence to the rays shooting from the eye!

Thank you Vai.com!

777lovein

looks cool :)
FinnJ

cool tat, would it not bother you though that someday you`ll be a wrinkled old man with that on your back??
Fender868
Newcomer

Some day il be a wrinkled old man. I know, but by then i will have seen and lived through a lot of good and bad things, il be much wiser than i am now, and i think that ink on my back will be the least of my worries friend ;).

Besides, my great grand father had some WWII on him, and even though it was wrinkled and faded, it spoke a lot about his youth and the times he lived in. I hope mine can do the same as when i will be a wrinkled old man, there will have been 60 years of advances, so i can guarantee that tattoo's will be done differently.

Thanks for the comments.
GreenMeanie

very nice!
Big Bad Bill

Looks cool. The symmetry looks perfect-you tattoo artist is very good!
teokiatuan

nice circle...hard to believe its drawn in freehand! right now it looks pretty bad to me, we'll see when the colours come in.. i'll be looking forward to seeing the new photo's!
Big Bad Bill

randomnessman wrote:nice circle...hard to believe its drawn in freehand! right now it looks pretty bad to me, we'll see when the colours come in.. i'll be looking forward to seeing the new photo's!
This is the original, black and white 'Light without Heat' logo.
teokiatuan

Big Bad Bill wrote:
randomnessman wrote:nice circle...hard to believe its drawn in freehand! right now it looks pretty bad to me, we'll see when the colours come in.. i'll be looking forward to seeing the new photo's!
This is the original, black and white 'Light without Heat' logo.

oh..i don't think i've seen it before, i only briefly saw the cover at a CD shop.. i thought it was supposed to look like the pink floyd cover, that rainbow through the pyramid.

i don't know anything.
resha

Cool!

That's pretty big huh?!

8)
Big Bad Bill

randomnessman wrote:oh..i don't think i've seen it before, i only briefly saw the cover at a CD shop.. i thought it was supposed to look like the pink floyd cover, that rainbow through the pyramid.
I can see exactly what you mean! I think I may have had similar thoughts when I saw it first. In Pre-Renaissance art (400-1400AD), artists would sometimes paint an eye hovering over the head of a figure to suggest that the character somehow had the protection and guidance of, or some close relationship with God.
kaathy
Newcomer

o man, it's really cool !