Benefits of the new Morley Bad Horsie wah?

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
shredace

Benefits of the new Morley Bad Horsie wah?

#1 Post by shredace » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:04 am

I've been looking into buying a new wah pedal. Currently I use a standard Cry Baby wah that I've had for a few years, and I"ve been really looking into by the new Bad Horsie 2 from Morley. Can someone give me some pros and cons. Is it really worth it? all feedback is greatly appreciated.

RAI

#2 Post by RAI » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:23 am

No matter what anyone tells you about their experience, there is no substitute for yourself going to check it out.
And do keep in mind, just because it's a Steve Vai model, doesn't mean you're going to like they way it sounds.
8)

Junebughunter

#3 Post by Junebughunter » Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:45 pm

Well said RAI...

but to tell you my personal experience, the Bad Horsie is an awesome wah. For soloing I think it is the best wah around. I haven't played the contour wah yet, but I owned the Bad Horsie for about 2 years, and I sold it on ebay about 3 months ago to get more gear

Cesar Huesca

Re: Benefits of the new Morley Bad Horsie wah?

#4 Post by Cesar Huesca » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:02 pm

shredace wrote:I've been looking into buying a new wah pedal. Currently I use a standard Cry Baby wah that I've had for a few years, and I"ve been really looking into by the new Bad Horsie 2 from Morley. Can someone give me some pros and cons. Is it really worth it? all feedback is greatly appreciated.
The electro-optical circuitry is good, having no pots, bypass switches and other parts to wear out is great, the Bad Horsie sounds really great and it's heavy-duty constructed, it is quite different from a Vox or a Dunlop and you're the judge of what likes you and what not.
Anyway I like Dunlops a lot but I rather use the Bad Horsie cause it is very easy to use and it has a great character, the lows are tight, the midrange is not as pronounced as a Crybaby and the highs are smooth and well balanced, is not as screechy as a GCB-95 for instance.

Anyway be careful in not using the Bad Horsie in extreme heat conditions, it may go out of calibration for a while until it gets "cold" again.

Thats the only drawback that I found on the Bad Horsie.

Anyway it sounds really good, try it. :wink:

Regards.

Cesar.
Last edited by Cesar Huesca on Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Parker_Fly

#5 Post by Parker_Fly » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:47 pm

IMHO go for the original bad horsie instead of the bh2... I found the knobs make it sound weird and not really useful... Cut the price in half or more and go for the oriignal..

Mothra

#6 Post by Mothra » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:16 am

Parker_Fly wrote:IMHO go for the original bad horsie instead of the bh2... I found the knobs make it sound weird and not really useful... Cut the price in half or more and go for the oriignal..
I second that - the original is the better pedal for your money.

Bear in mind that the Morley gives a reasonably mild effect and that Steve used a Dunlop Crybaby on a good deal of his early work. That said, it doesn't crackle and you don't have to stomp on it to switch it on or off.

On balance though, I wish I could have the Crybaby sound in a Morley-style pedal.

Derek

#7 Post by Derek » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:27 am

I occasionally use the second setting with the switches, but mostly just the main setting, so if the early one can save money, I'd say go for it. I also recommend trying it out. I went to guitar center and lined up as many as I could and tried them all just to make sure that I found the one that would do the most for me, most salespeople won't have a problem with you doing that, since they realize you're probably about to buy something that can help them make commission.

bcgvh

#8 Post by bcgvh » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:35 pm

I bought a Bad Horsie 2 wah about a month ago and I love it! I also had a standard Crybaby before I got it and I HATED the Crybaby, it went from extreme bass to extreme treble- not smooth at all, colored your tone too much, too hard to kick on and off and back on all the time so I quit using it after awhile. The Bad Horsie is an absolute dream after playing that piece of junk Crybaby for a couple years. Easy to turn on and off, sounds great, and it doesn't screw your tone up any. I really love the thing, it's made the wah pedal fun to use again.

Fret Melter

#9 Post by Fret Melter » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:23 pm

Absolutely BGVH, I Completely agree. The bad horsie puts the crybaby to shame in sound, tone, and physical operation!!!!! It friggin rules!!!

lewdew

Bad horsey with spring???

#10 Post by lewdew » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:25 pm

I was up front at a recent concert (4/14) and seen steve stomp the HELL out of his wha pedal, and it automaticaly came up to the top position, like it had a spring in it!......what is that,and where can i get one??........is that the bad horsey you guys are talkin bout??,cause tony had one in the middle of the stage and i watched him use it,but sumhow, that was different.....please tell me .

Parker_Fly

Re: Bad horsey with spring???

#11 Post by Parker_Fly » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:50 pm

lewdew wrote:I was up front at a recent concert (4/14) and seen steve stomp the HELL out of his wha pedal, and it automaticaly came up to the top position, like it had a spring in it!......what is that,and where can i get one??........is that the bad horsey you guys are talkin bout??,cause tony had one in the middle of the stage and i watched him use it,but sumhow, that was different.....please tell me .
yup its a bad horsey him and tony were using... the are both spring loaded so all you have to do it place your foot on the pedal and the wah engages and step off and it turns off..

lewdew

#12 Post by lewdew » Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:20 am

I hope you know that you can adjust the wha setting on your crybabys and older model pedals by taking off the back of the unit and re setting the stick that moves the pod to a different level of deeper or brighter wha effect.
When you buy a cry baby right out of the box,its set at a normal wha that might not be the sound your lookin for.

Just tryin to help.........

Fret Melter

#13 Post by Fret Melter » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:27 am

Lewdew, could go into greater detail in how to do this with crybaby's??

alienillusions
Banned

#14 Post by alienillusions » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:03 pm

Fret Melter wrote:Absolutely BGVH, I Completely agree. The bad horsie puts the crybaby to shame in sound, tone, and physical operation!!!!! It friggin rules!!!
Not the 535Q. Try one out and you'll love it, I swear.