What does steve want with a nylon string guitar?

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Ryan Layton
Banned

What does steve want with a nylon string guitar?

#1 Post by Ryan Layton » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:34 am

Why does steve want a nylon string guitar? He isnt' a classical player or anything and he doesn't do much finger picking. I'm not sure if the string spacing will be the same as it is on his normal guitars or if it will be standard classical width, and if its classical width, everyone that wants one is gonna have to make some serious changes to their playing to get used to the change.

I've been playing classical for several months now and i really like the tone of nylon string guitars better than steel strings. they are even louder if you play them correctly. When i jam with friends i often pick my nylon over my steel just because if sounds and feels better to me. maybe steve feels the same way?

Psychlone

#2 Post by Psychlone » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:02 am

I disagree with you about making "serious changes" to their style. I've tried several nylon-strung classical guitars and enjoyed their sound and feel. Steve is all about the different sounds and I'm sure that if he wanted to he could make a nylon-string howl like an angel that had just stubbed its toe.

Ryan Layton
Banned

#3 Post by Ryan Layton » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:20 am

maybe you played nylon string guitars with steel string spacing between the strings. the neck on traditional nylon stringers are much wider.

b2

#4 Post by b2 » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:43 pm

Of course it is because of the sound.
I have a lot of steel string guitars and one nylon string.
And I bought the nylon string just because of the sound.
If you are a guitarist who like many different kinds of music and styles
then you must have every kind of a guitar :)
It's the same as, why does Steve use a sitar sometimes?
Of course because of the sound.

Mr_Guitarman

Re: What does steve want with a nylon string guitar?

#5 Post by Mr_Guitarman » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:34 pm

Ryan Layton wrote:Why does steve want a nylon string guitar? He isnt' a classical player or anything and he doesn't do much finger picking. I'm not sure if the string spacing will be the same as it is on his normal guitars or if it will be standard classical width, and if its classical width, everyone that wants one is gonna have to make some serious changes to their playing to get used to the change.

I've been playing classical for several months now and i really like the tone of nylon string guitars better than steel strings. they are even louder if you play them correctly. When i jam with friends i often pick my nylon over my steel just because if sounds and feels better to me. maybe steve feels the same way?
I think you answerd the question nylon strings sound a hundred times better than steel, but thats just my opinion.

bobojem

#6 Post by bobojem » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:06 pm

Mr_Guitarman wrote:
Ryan Layton wrote:Why does steve want a nylon string guitar? He isnt' a classical player or anything and he doesn't do much finger picking. I'm not sure if the string spacing will be the same as it is on his normal guitars or if it will be standard classical width, and if its classical width, everyone that wants one is gonna have to make some serious changes to their playing to get used to the change.

I think you answerd the question nylon strings sound a hundred times better than steel, but thats just my opinion.
I don't think nylon strings sound better than steel or vice versa. They each sound fantastic in their own ways....besides, what are you doing on a Steve Vai forum if you think nylons sound better than steel?

-Bo

Ryan Layton
Banned

#7 Post by Ryan Layton » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:01 pm

because im not close minded enough to say that i dislike a certian guitar becuase steve vai doesn't shred on one.

Shreddy Krueger

#8 Post by Shreddy Krueger » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:40 pm

I dunno about Steve...

But if Ibanez wanted to give ME one, I'd take it :wink:

Leftymonster

#9 Post by Leftymonster » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:56 pm

Ryan Layton wrote:Why does steve want a nylon string guitar?
...mmmm...i'm not sure but i guess he want to play it !! :wink:

Lefty 8)

Birdman

Um

#10 Post by Birdman » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:07 pm

I'm sure Steve will be able to cope with the HUGE adaption you speak of. Geesh. If you can play guitar, you can play guitar.................... nylon, steel, electric, acoustic, you'll play all of them just fine if you can play one of them fairly well. Or maybe you should call Steve and alert him of the obvious oversite he's made...................... Hahahaha

ultrazone_seeker

#11 Post by ultrazone_seeker » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:04 am

just because everyone seems to have forgotten, there is a bit of nylon in Lucky Charms... :P

kenny_u

#12 Post by kenny_u » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:22 pm

hmm i like the sound of a classical. go listen to MSG's Nightmare.

bobojem

#13 Post by bobojem » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:43 pm

bobojem wrote:
Mr_Guitarman wrote:

I don't think nylon strings sound better than steel or vice versa. They each sound fantastic in their own ways....besides, what are you doing on a Steve Vai forum if you think nylons sound better than steel?

-Bo
this is regarding my previous post. I just came on today and happen to read my own post and this time around it sounded incredibly rude, which I didn't mean at all. The last comment was totally a joke so I wanna appologize to anyone and everyone who were offended by the comment. I'm sorry. I should use my smilies better....
:oops:
-Bo

Pro-string strummer

#14 Post by Pro-string strummer » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:39 am

obviously if you haven't noticed... it's crutial to get a certain sound for certain things... and steve does that with alot of his tracks... and since nylon strings ring sounds that no guitar with steel or nickel strings can bring... then that answers your question