Encyclopedia of pickups

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
NatasataN

I think that you should go for brand new dimarzio pickups. From what I heard they have an amazing return policy. You can exchange your pickup models untill your satisfied. I think that it's an amazing satisfaction warranty.
You pay shipping of course.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure thats how they work
GGGrev

Of course I'm gonna get DiMarzio pickups, its just that I want ones that represent me. :wink:
bkornaker1977

try the NORTON(not the air norton), but the original. if ya like the sound and overtones of the FRED, the regular NORTON is like that but with boostd output. Its smack dead in the middle of a FRED and the EVOLUTION as far as output and tone. Its dimarzios most versitile pickup they have.
GGGrev

bkornaker1977 wrote:try the NORTON(not the air norton), but the original. if ya like the sound and overtones of the FRED, the regular NORTON is like that but with boostd output. Its smack dead in the middle of a FRED and the EVOLUTION as far as output and tone. Its dimarzios most versitile pickup they have.
Thank you! Thats the best reply in this thread ever! I really needed that! :D
bkornaker1977

no problem.... i had the same thoughts when tryin to deside what pickups I wanted too!
whoville
Newcomer

I was thinking of having the Breed Pickup as the neck and the evolution in the bridge what do you think?
freak

whoville wrote:I was thinking of having the Breed Pickup as the neck and the evolution in the bridge what do you think?
It will probably work cos the breed has a lower output :twisted:
Captain Martone
Newcomer

I have a Charvel Model 3A with a Tone Zone in the Bridge Position and a Breed in the Neck. This is a great combination. I think the Tone Zone defines the classic Ibanez sound of Mr. Vai, Paul Gilbert, and other Ibanez artists. It really has a lot of balls for rhythm and screams harmonically for leads -- especially through a Tube Screamer pushed Carvin X100B or a JCM 900 Marshall. You can get a good Idea how it sounds by listening to the demo from Paul Gilbert on the Dimarzio site. I agree with you about the BREEDS they are such a wonderful pickup. It's like butter in the neck pos with the tone knob off. Sweet as Britney Spears ass ....
The best advice for replacement pickups is what kind of guitar and what wood is it made of -- and what tones/styles of music you want to achieve?
atifman

wow.....so many to choose from! can't really decide

btw, on the first first page of the dimarzio website, where it says "pickups, straps, cables, hardware", who's that fine-looking woman with the green Jem?
Renge

I hate DiMarzio pickups *l*

I love the Evolution, but it's just too damned stale. I play one now and it's alright (and my amp is a fender hotrod deville 410) so it's not getting the full effect of what it was designed to do.

Problem is the thing is focused with a very very narrow frequency response, you don't get all that your string puts out, therefore you have a sorta edgy but stale sound. It's great for recording, but I'm a seymour duncan guy.

JB in the bridge, and a Jazz in the neck. Beautiful warm solid tone thats much less stale and muddy like DiMarzio pickups. Just my two bits though, I fully recognize pickups are application specific and that Steve's got his needs and wants adimantly addressed with his gear setup.
atifman

what's a good dimarzio humbucker pickup for metal riffage?
i was thinking Steve's Special, it's got scooped mids (metallica scoops their mids, and i like their distorted sound) and i think Petrucci plays it in Erotomania, and i think it sounds good there too.
bkornaker1977

Go to dimarzio web site and check out the "new products" page. They have a new pickup called DROP SONIC (I think thats what its called) and is a nasty ass hot pickup. It was made for all the nu-metal freaks for down tunings and stuff like that!
atifman

nu-metal eh.....thanks, but no thanks :wink:

actually, it doesn't sound that bad, after reading the description, despite disturbing comments like this: "single-note solos"

it says it has 4 conductor wiring, can you only access one sound at a time, or can you switch between 4??
http://www.dimarzio.com/dp207.html
Matwey

atifman wrote: who's that fine-looking woman with the green Jem?
..oh boy, she's HOT! :twisted: i mean the girl..er..i mean the guitar. NO! I mean BOTH!!! :P doh...

I think that was a JEM presented and signed by Steve to Larry DiMarzio, and that was some photo-model girl (still, that'd be interesting to know who exactly by the name ;)) She's HOT! :twisted: i mean the girl..er..i mean the guitar. NO! I mean BOTH!!! ..kinda deja vu, lol :lol:
bkornaker1977

4 conducter wiring is for the pickup selector switch (3 way or 5 way) to access the split coil mode or if ya have a coil tap (via pulling the switch to access single coil sounds)