Strat adventure

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Vaitalitarion

Strat adventure

#1 Post by Vaitalitarion » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:55 am

Hi guys, everyone here seems to know sooooooo much about guitars and stuff.

During the Zappa years, Steve used the Strat his mother bought him for his birthday. To what I understand, its a stock strat. And on the Halloween '81 video I cant see any modifications to his stock vintage trem. He abuses the f**k out of it towards the end of the first half at Stevies Spanking, but he stays in tune. I recently outfitted some Sperzels, but everything just goes whack out of tune when I use the trem just slightly.

Any tips or advice?

Would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Daniel

777?

#2 Post by 777? » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:03 am

well i've never seen the halloween video but would like to see it. (where can i get this) but steve's sticker strat has a floyd rose and emg pickups.i would assume he had the floyd on there. If you want to be able to use the whammy i'd either look into getting a floyd rose style bridge or look at fenders new LT thing...never played one but they say its the same thing as a floating trem without all the work. I think Van halen shoved a quarter in his somewhere in his pre-floyd rose days. good Luck.

Ffats

#3 Post by Ffats » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:53 pm

It just might be your strings.. what brand do you use?

After restringing, you should stretch them out as well, tugging a little around the 12th fret and then retuning. This should get the strings warmed up for some bending and the like.

stoneaa1
Newcomer

#4 Post by stoneaa1 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:06 pm

forget the sperzels, go back to the ones that came with the guitar. and when you tune them dont pull the strings up to stretch them. what you gotta do is push the stirng towards the ground on lets say the twelth fret and at the 7th fret pull the stirng up with your other hand. do this up and down the neck on each string about 5 times. then dive bomb pull all the way up dive bomb pull all the way up hit the guitar with your elbow just below the bridge twice and your good to go.

Vaitalitarion

#5 Post by Vaitalitarion » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:20 am

I use cutom light gauge dean markley's if they arent available its d'addarios. I always stretch them like you said but to no avail. I dont want my old tuners, they stuck and the sperzels don't but I still have the tuning problem. I just watched the Halloween thing and it seriously looks like a stock tremolo, theres no locking nut or anything :?

I think a new bridge unit will be the best idea, theres bits wearing away where it comes through the block, and it saws into the strings as you can imagine :( I like the looks of that LT thing, do 2-point trems fit into the regular 6 hole ones?

Only problem is I'm a lowly student and I have very little moeny. Hehe, I'll have to make do :)

RAI

#6 Post by RAI » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:42 am

If your trem is falling apart, that doesn't exactly help....
:lol:
But there has been no mention of another very important part, in regards to tuning stability.
The nut.
It doesn't matter if you have a perfect trem and locking tuners, if the strings get caught in the nut.
Since you have limited funds, replacing the nut is the cheapest way to improve your guitar.
You can either do it yourself, or have a tech do it for you.
Either or, a graphite nut isn't that expensive, and a good tech should be able to do it in his sleep.
Good luck....

Vaitalitarion

#7 Post by Vaitalitarion » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:17 pm

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit I forgot about that little thing where the strings go through :lol:

Thats a basic thing as well *bad Daniel* :shock:

I'll look into it.

Cheers dudeness